Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My booky work title [split topic]

Started by Proactive, October 01, 2023, 05:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Proactive

You don't think, for example, Vic or Bob could get away with it? I do agree it's infantile but I also think many people here are disproportionately annoyed by it because they quite rightly, don't like RB.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Proactive on October 04, 2023, 12:37:08 PMYou don't think, for example, Vic or Bob could get away with it? I do agree it's infantile but I also think many people here are disproportionately annoyed by it because they quite rightly, don't like RB.

Although I was going to say is that it's irrelevant to me who the person to have used it was, I would likely be harsher on people that I like and expected better of.

As previously mentioned, there was a vogue of doing bad imitations of Nadsat, such as in adverts; Brand was far alone in doing this. Basically, what people were just rhyming words together in a sing-song, childish way to a achieve a faint resemblance of Nadsat and one wholly superficial. It was lazy and rubbish.

One advert, which I don't remember much of but think it was one of the more visually striking ones, was someone dressed as Alex and greeting a threatening werewolf with 'Steady, teddy.' Pretty clever writing!

Also, one of my issues is that this was connected to other pillaging of popular culture to sell tat or be cool/cheeky, roughly around the same time.  There were some really blatant rip-offs such as one WKD advert that paid a 'homage' to How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Because I'm a small-minded, petty individual, this irked me.... But that would have been nothing compared to if a comedian I liked used it for a sketch.

Kankurette

kalowski

Quote from: Proactive on October 04, 2023, 12:37:08 PMYou don't think, for example, Vic or Bob could get away with it? I do agree it's infantile but I also think many people here are disproportionately annoyed by it because they quite rightly, don't like RB.
They could, but they wouldn't use it because it's not funny enough. It's like when someone talks about surrealism and introduces a fish somewhere incongruous. It's simplistic.

I can imagine him writing a book about the deaths of Jews in World War Two, called the Holy-Wally-Caust.  Actually, on his trajectory, he'd probably end up doing a David Irvine and denying it all

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 04, 2023, 01:41:32 PMgreeting a threatening werewolf with 'Steady, teddy.' Pretty clever writing!

To be fair that werewolf was Ted Rogers.

Weirdly I can't find the ad online at all, beyond a 1996 newspaper article about Ted.

g0m

The Mollusk

My Booky Wook is legitimately and almost objectively a shit title, no debate in my mind. Awful.

BlodwynPig

Im a big baby

PlanktonSideburns

Industrial society and its futurie-wutcherie

Thosworth

My Wookiee Book by Chewbacca the Wookiee from Star Wars

Senior Baiano

The Civilization of the Renaissance in Itty-wittaly

Midas

'Content Provider: Selected Short Prose Pieces 2011-2016' by Russell Brand

'How I Failed To Escape My Certain Fate' by Russell Brand, 2025, Wormwood Scrubs Publications

'Combine Harvester (Russell Brand New Key)' by Booky Wooky Wurzels and Walliams Gummidge

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Thosworth on October 05, 2023, 09:21:34 PMMy Wookiee Book by Chewbacca the Wookiee from Star Wars

Ahem...

QuoteAlthough respect is due to the CaB poster who suggested that Peter Mayhew should have written an autobiography, just so he could call it My Wookiee Book.

I Bent My Bookiee Wookiee by Ralph Wiggum

(see, that's more original!)

Russell's Nest with George & Mildred Groper

BlodwynPig

Honestly, this man is a rapist and you descend to this levelly wevelly!

In a few years, having been in prison, he writes an impassioned memoir calling for penal reform: My Jaily-Wail.

Tairy_Green

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on October 06, 2023, 07:26:09 PMIn a few years, having been in prison, he writes an impassioned memoir calling for penal reform: My Jaily-Wail.

The Ballad of Reading Gaol-y Waily

kalowski

The Mollusk

Get this unbearable shite locked please Baz

kalowski