Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Parapod Movie

Started by DrGreggles, January 24, 2020, 01:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle TechTip

Tried that but it's impossible to glean anything other than tiny details from individual tweets. Could you summarise?

BritishHobo

Basically there were technical issues that led to it being restarted twice, with some long gaps while they did soundchecks and such behind the scenes. At one point nobody was sure if they would even be able to go ahead. Barry gamely, admirably and skilfully kept the crowd going while Ian, who I felt for so massively, almost heartbroken for the guy, tried to figure out the issues - but one particular audience member ruined the atmosphere by making things about themselves several times, and at one point refusing to relinquish the mic to Barry in a way that I thought was really fucking nasty and spiteful.

Thankfully the film went down an absolute storm, and the Q&A with 'surprise' Johnny Vegas was a riot.

DrGreggles

BUMP

The VOD is now available in the UK on your favourite streaming service.

Is this getting a proper release in cinemas (i.e. I can turn up at a cinema in afternoon and watch it, rather than the one-offs with Q&As)? I've tried googling but can't find any information, which suggests that streaming is the best option.

MojoJojo

I don't think so. I've considered contacting my local arts cinema to ask about it/maybe get them interested, but don't really know how that would work.

I'm planning to watch it tonight - was knackered yesterday.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 28, 2021, 11:36:00 AM
Is this getting a proper release in cinemas (i.e. I can turn up at a cinema in afternoon and watch it, rather than the one-offs with Q&As)? I've tried googling but can't find any information, which suggests that streaming is the best option.

Nothing planned (apart from Halloween weekend), but I'm sure there will be more ad hoc screenings if the interest is there.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Watching this now.

Spoiler alert
The bit where Barry gets the fright of his life and starts crying is really quite difficult to watch. This will sound terribly condescending, I know, but Barry is such a nice, harmless, gullible lad; seeing someone like that having what would appear to be a panic attack over nothing is rather upsetting.

I thought Ian handled it well, though. He instantly discards his piss-taking shtick when he realises just how scared and upset Barry actually is, and although an understandably cynical part of him must've been thinking how great it was for the film, you can tell that he's genuinely concerned for his friend.
[close]

Anyway. Really enjoying it so far.

BritishHobo

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 28, 2021, 01:51:20 PM
Nothing planned (apart from Halloween weekend), but I'm sure there will be more ad hoc screenings if the interest is there.

Yeah, I think they've had to put in a lot of legwork to get the screenings they've got, so I can't imagine they'll do many more unless there are venues which show an active interest.

Went to my third screening of this last night in Bristol. Funny to think the Chester screening was the last event I went to pre-pandemic. Anyway it was lovely after so long to get to be amongst loads of people seeing it for the first time, and cracking up at everything. It really is a great thing they've put together. It looks amazing on the big screen, the soundtrack is superb, and the journey itself impresses me more and more every time. It does feel so sincere and warts-and-all in the pair of them
Spoiler alert
genuinely starting to get fucked off with each other as they rub up against the other's belief system - but ultimately coming through it together.
[close]
Someone at the original premiere made a lovely point saying it's nice in this divisive time to have a film about two people who fundamentally disagree on something enormous, but are still able to be good friends, and (once the jokes are over), respect each other. That's definitely the key to it, that no matter what, there's a genuine friendship at heart, two blokes who can still make each other laugh even when they're stressed, exhausted, at each others' throats.

Barry and Bil gave a great Q&A, and even got Ian involved via phone, which made for some nice, sincere chat about what they've made. All in all a lovely night.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 28, 2021, 06:53:46 PM
Watching this now.

Spoiler alert
The bit where Barry gets the fright of his life and starts crying is really quite difficult to watch. This will sound terribly condescending, I know, but Barry is such a nice, harmless, gullible lad; seeing someone like that having what would appear to be a panic attack over nothing is rather upsetting.

I thought Ian handled it well, though. He instantly discards his piss-taking shtick when he realises just how scared and upset Barry actually is, and although an understandably cynical part of him must've been thinking how great it was for the film, you can tell that he's genuinely concerned for his friend.
[close]

Anyway. Really enjoying it so far.

It's
Spoiler alert
such a great opening to watch at a screening, because everyone goes in really primed to laugh, so they start as soon as they hear Barry talking. And then, very quickly, the laughter stops.
[close]

Rev+

There's a bit of a crossover on this with the Ian Boldsworth thread in Comedy Chat, but that bit of the film is what surprised me.

It's a film with a load of laffs but I thought that particular sequence was just dragging on for ages until Barry's freakout.  You can't really rationalise a panic attack but that whole extended bit tries to put us in Barry's state of mind, and when they're talking outside afterwards it really reminded me of times I've had to wind down friends in the past.  Ian does the right thing there, just listening and then puncturing it with a bit of piss-taking.  I found that whole stretch a bit difficult to watch too, just because it felt very familiar, although the situations I've been in haven't involved looking for Inky and Clyde in the dark.

It definitely wasn't the sort of thing I was expecting from the film, and if I don't expect a tone shift like that it's always a plus.  There are some very obviously staged bits (the big argument about how the film's going, for example) but that bit rings true.

Rev+

Also, a tent can be rotated very easily if you put a canvas sheet underneath it before pegging it down.

Fry

Saw this last night, was howling all the way through it. I genuinely can't remember a time I laughed this much at a film. I thoroughly recommend this to everyone.

DrGreggles

Genuinely can't remember laughing so much in a cinema.

Replies From View

Quote from: Rev+ on September 29, 2021, 02:02:54 AM
Also, a tent can be rotated very easily if you put a canvas sheet underneath it before pegging it down.

Not how it was done, though.  We saw how Ian did it in the film.

BritishHobo

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 29, 2021, 11:55:22 AM
Genuinely can't remember laughing so much in a cinema.

I was thinking the same recently. I can't really think of the last comedy in the cinema that's really had me laughing all the way through. Maybe Alan Partridge or The World's End. It's been lovely getting to see it in an environment with other fans and just hurt from laughing so much.

The bit with
Spoiler alert
Carol at East Drive really got me this time. The sheer relentlessness of it, she just keeps going for ages and ages. I do kinda admire her no-bullshit manner, it feels very different from the way that pro-supernatural folks are usually shown.
[close]

Replies From View

You can see some genuine hope in Barry's eyes
Spoiler alert
at the 1:39:45 mark that he has managed to crack through Ian's comic exterior, give him a paranormal experience and convince him of something.  Quite sad in a way
[close]

Rev+

Quote from: Replies From View on September 29, 2021, 11:58:14 AM
Not how it was done, though.  We saw how Ian did it in the film.

I know, but that would have been my first suspicion if I was Barry, as it's happened to me while I was asleep in a tent.  Then again, I'm not Barry.

DrGreggles

'Occam's razor' is a theory that Dodds doesn't care for.

Replies From View

Pete23

Weirdly the only bit in the film that seemed to be paranormal - the smashing mug - seemed to be quickly forgotten. Did they go into any detail about this in the Q&A's? I'm sure Barry just left it by the door or something but that really sets the tone for the end of the film. That and Ian repeatedly asking about the imaginary cut on his face.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Pete23 on September 30, 2021, 09:22:54 AM
Weirdly the only bit in the film that seemed to be paranormal - the smashing mug - seemed to be quickly forgotten. Did they go into any detail about this in the Q&A's? I'm sure Barry just left it by the door or something but that really sets the tone for the end of the film. That and Ian repeatedly asking about the imaginary cut on his face.

It was mentioned in one of the Q&As, but not answered definitively.

Ian said that there's an open window upstairs and it would be easy for someone to have perched a mug at top of the stairs which could easily fall if there was a gust of wind or movement on the stairs.

Barry thinks a ghost threw it.

Replies From View

DrGreggles

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but it's available to pre-order in US & Canada now - released early November.

Other territories are currently being negotiated.

I watched this last night and, after a slow start, thought it was very, very funny. Though I think probably missed out by watching it at home rather than a cinema because it felt more like a very well produced YouTube series than a film. If there's ever another chance to see it on a big screen then I'll make sure I do.

I only ever listened to a few Parapods so it took me a while to warm to Barry in this. I hope their dynamic doesn't put off people who aren't familiar with the pair at all, because once you realise it's not a Gervais/Pilkington relationship and that they're good mates on an adventure then the whole thing really does become something quite lovely - just with lots of pisstaking.

Four little spooky ghosts out of five.

I'd love to see more of Ian on screen, whether it's TV or YouTube. He's such a naturally funny man.

Replies From View

Mobbd

I have two tickets to the Halloween Spectacular in Birmingham if anyone would like to buy/trade something them?

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

I was going to attend but can no longer make it. The venue, bless 'em, tell me that even though there's a waiting list for cancellations they're unable to refund my tickets (offering venue credit instead, which is not useful to me as a non-local).

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mobbd on October 07, 2021, 12:26:34 PM
I have two tickets to the Halloween Spectacular in Birmingham if anyone would like to buy/trade something them?

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

I was going to attend but can no longer make it. The venue, bless 'em, tell me that even though there's a waiting list for cancellations they're unable to refund my tickets (offering venue credit instead, which is not useful to me as a non-local).

If you're on Twitter ask @TheParapod to RT.
I had a spare for the last live show and that's how I got rid.

Mobbd

Wanted to give the CaB Massive first dibs, but that's a great suggestion greggles - thanks.