Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Late Review discusses Brass Eye in 1997

Started by Tony Yeboah, December 17, 2020, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Yeboah

https://youtu.be/5MIdMdVddvA?t=1516 Tony Parsons is all over the place, Howard Jacobson is very positive even though he has never seen Morris before, Greer totally gets it.

Twonty Gostelow

You're right about Parsons. "Morris is repeating the same old thing, John Cleese only did the silly walk once." As soon as he hears Greer and Jacobson really liked it he seems to change his mind, the little chancer.

Glebe

Pretty sure I saw this when it went out. Parsons calling Morris "Chris", like they're mates. Greer talking about "You can pack crabs in cases but you can't pack other animals" - is that something that was cut out or is she just generalising?

the

She was just giving a general example.

Parsons just comes from a position of total vanity, his assessment of the programme has to tally with how he wishes to project himself. His liking for the celeb baiting gives a cheeky glimpse of his knockabout laddish sensibilities, yet it's clear that he feels intimidated by the spoof-current-affairs portions and has to fall back on effectively pointing out that CM had been on TV with his hair slicked back before.

You're right about Greer, she has an incredibly perceptive take on it from the off.

Jacobson makes some decent observations too but also seems annoyingly preoccupied with mentioning his forthcoming programme, which, while you're reviewing something else, has the slightly distasteful side-effect of favourably aligning yourself with what you're reviewing.

It's interesting to look at the segment where they talk about Grade's reign at C4 and the assesment that, at that time, C4 still retained a convincing photocopy of its original remit. Then to think about that disintegrating just a few years later post Big Brother into the pulpy populist 'Saturday punk uncle' of nothingness it became.

You're watching Late Late Review Review.

Great find Tony.

Junket Pumper

Morris interviewed Parsons on one of his radio shows I believe. Maybe he was bitter about that.

the

Quote from: Junket Pumper on December 27, 2020, 04:08:40 PMMorris interviewed Parsons on one of his radio shows I believe. Maybe he was bitter about that.

Link, if anyone wants to hear it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Menu

Glebe

Yes thanks you for that the. "I think he'd have been tuning in when he was back from The Rat and Trumpet." Perfect, Tony.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Glebe on December 18, 2020, 07:48:20 AM
Pretty sure I saw this when it went out. Parsons calling Morris "Chris", like they're mates. Greer talking about "You can pack crabs in cases but you can't pack other animals" - is that something that was cut out or is she just generalising?
It's a reference to the opening dinner party segment when, amongst the chatter, one of the guests says "they pack [some animal - calves maybe] into boxes" and Morris replies "oh listen, boo-hoo about [animal], they do that to crabs, I don't hear you crying about crabs"

I've probably misquoted the segment horribly but Morris definitely mentions crabs.

Glebe

Quote from: Jumblegraws on December 30, 2020, 08:32:06 PMIt's a reference to the opening dinner party segment when, amongst the chatter, one of the guests says "they pack [some animal - calves maybe] into boxes" and Morris "oh listen, boo-hoo about [animal], they do that to crabs, I don't hear you crying about crabs"

I've probably misquoted the segment horribly but Morris definitely mentions crabs.

Ah right.

gilbertharding

Quote from: the on December 27, 2020, 06:31:47 PM
Link, if anyone wants to hear it.

Fucking hell. That's amazing. I'm sure it's edited to make him sound worse, but not much.

Endicott

It's hilarious. Simon Mayo's theory! Happier simpler times.

Parsons is and always has been a cunt.