Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deathloop

Started by AngryGazelle, August 02, 2021, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryGazelle

New game from the developers of Dishonoured and Prey -- looks pretty cool actually, like a more action-focused Dishonoured where you're not made to feel like stealth is the 'real' way to play (not that that's a bad thing, more like a nice change of pace).

Anyone gonna pick this up? Preorders come with a discount if you have a Playstation Plus subscription.

evilcommiedictator

Gameplay video from a few weks ago for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTnzLC6Utk0

It's from Arkane, so if you liked Prey, Dishonoured, they're trying to do cool world and story stuff like System Shock

Timothy

I love the Arkane games. As of now I'm planning to wait until it arrives on Xbox/Gamepass but I probably buy it day one anyway....
The trailers are amazing and I can't wait.

ArchieGemmel

I've been waiting patiently for it to come out. Got it on pre-order. Have loved the Dishonored games but as the OP says I am looking forward to playing it a bit more actioney instead of having to constantly sneak around everywhere.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't have a PS5 or a beefy enough PC to play this, which is annoying, as I'm a big Dishonored fan and the time loop structure looks intriguing.

I wonder what it's going to be like for replay value. After you've completed it once, would subsequent plays be over in ten minutes? I assume the loop can't be too long, because it would be too much of a slog to repeat every time you get killed. Maybe things will be randomised each time you start a new game.

bgmnts

Definitely going to pick this up.

Chedney Honks

Never enjoyed these Arkane games, personally. I'm not surprised they're all on Game Pass as they are the epitome of Game Pass fodder. I'd rather stare at a turned off TV and just think about something else. That said, I'm happy for the fans that they keep churning them out.

Zetetic

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 03, 2021, 12:07:10 PM
I wonder what it's going to be like for replay value. After you've completed it once, would subsequent plays be over in ten minutes? I assume the loop can't be too long, because it would be too much of a slog to repeat every time you get killed. Maybe things will be randomised each time you start a new game.
Presumably Prey: Mooncrash might be a guide.

Zetetic

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 03, 2021, 12:48:54 PM
I'm not surprised they're all on Game Pass as they are the epitome of Game Pass fodder.
I think that's an odd view - there aren't many other high production quality vaguely 'immersive sim'-type games to compare with, for one thing (although increasingly there's things like Gloomwood and Peripeteia).

I think it's more that Microsoft are putting everything from the studios they've bought on there - but I guess that also shifts the sense of "Game Pass fodder".

Chedney Honks

It's all Bethesda mulch to me, but I'm glad some people enjoy these games.

Ferris

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 03, 2021, 01:49:23 PM

Prey was a terrific game and worth your time. The first 20 minutes or so is properly good sci fi, download it and play that. If you're still not mad keen then you are missing out but fair play.

bgmnts

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 03, 2021, 01:49:23 PM

Hehe

Chedney Honks

I did manage about half an hour but I don't like immersive sims. Reminds me of 90s PC gaming. No slight on anyone who enjoys them.

Ferris

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 03, 2021, 02:05:20 PM
I did manage about half an hour but I don't like immersive sims. Reminds me of 90s PC gaming. No slight on anyone who enjoys them.

Really? Fair enough, the first 30 mins are the most impressive bit in terms of story and
Spoiler alert
the opening plot twist
[close]
. The gameplay after that is also very solid tbh.

Deathloop looks good though, same kind of neo '60s aesthetic that was the only successful bit of We Happy Few.

AngryGazelle

I will add that it looks like it's not taking itself too seriously and has a cool soundtrack too

Blue Jam

Quote from: Zetetic on August 03, 2021, 12:49:03 PM
Presumably Prey: Mooncrash might be a guide.

Yes, this sounds a bit like Mooncrash to me. Did another playthrough of Prey recently, but while I possibly enjoyed Mooncrash a little more I doubt I'll replay it again. Once you've worked out how to
Spoiler alert
escape Pytheas five times in five different ways in one playthrough
[close]
that's pretty much it. It's a delightfully imaginative reworking of Prey which uses the same universe and lore for a game which feels completely different, but it was a one-time experience for me. Bit like Subnautica once you've figured out the escape route there.

Need to get a PS5 right now don't I? Been holding off because I've only just got an Oculus Quest 2 and another purchase right now would feel a bit decadent. How do you go about getting a PS5 now without going through some greedy bastard on eBay?

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 10, 2021, 03:02:28 PM
How do you go about getting a PS5 now without going through some greedy bastard on eBay?

It's very competitive but possible.

Follow the account below on Twitter and turn on Push Notifications. There are many similar accounts now but this is the best one.

https://twitter.com/UKPS5Notify?s=09

You'll have about twenty seconds at most when you get a notification - and there's no guarantee even if you click on it immediately - but this is the best way. There's also a Discord you can join and do the same thing, if you don't use Twitter. I'm not being dramatic but there's absolutely no chance of getting one otherwise.

My mate followed this recently and got one but it took him about two weeks and he said he missed out half a dozen times. Real talk, it won't be too long before the Christmas shoppers start getting involved so even though stock is rare now, I think it'll get more difficult down the line.

Good luck!

Blue Jam

I believe you on the 20 second rule there Chedders- been checking out stock updates elsewhere and every single link leads to "sold out", every single time.

Big thanks, will get myself primed for a purchase!

AngryGazelle

Anyone buying this today? I think I'll get it at some point but not right now.

bgmnts

Will probably wait for the inevitable addition to GamePass in a few months or until it's on offer, as much as I love Arkane games.

Pink Gregory

Cannot wait to play this in 2-3 years when I've finally finished Dishonored 2 and Prey

brat-sampson

Quote from: bgmnts on September 14, 2021, 05:08:23 PM
Will probably wait for the inevitable addition to GamePass in a few months or until it's on offer, as much as I love Arkane games.

I think the PS5 Exclusivity is 12 months, so I'd expect it on Game pass for console and PC next September.

Chairman Yang

I just started playing Mooncrash after it being sat in my library for years so, aye... Deathloop is set to be my GOTY 2036

evilcommiedictator

Watched a few streams last night, looks a lot more like Dishonored 3 than Prey 2 (or indeed, BioShock-esque). Going to leave this one till the xmas sales or maybe later when DLC comes out :)

Timothy

Looks great. Still debating if I buy it at Black Friday or if I wait until it arrives on Gamepass.

madhair60

i bought it. its good. cheers

Zetetic

Sorely tempting me.

Any views on the significance of the multiplayer aspect? (Although I guess it'll see a surge in a new activity whenever it does arrive on Game Pass).

Chedney Honks

Looks absolutely crap, but hope you guys enjoy it.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Timothy on September 15, 2021, 08:35:00 AM
or if I wait until it arrives on Gamepass.
It won't for a bit, even though it is a Bethesda-published title, because the PS exclusivity was signed before the Microsoft buyout
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/09/21/xbox-honor-bethesda-ps5-exclusives-deals/