Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancake

Talking of yachting timers I absolutely spunked myself silly when this emerged a couple of years ago

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1980s-heuer-regatta-pvd-reference-134-601?variant=29964816580683

Pancake

Make it smaller! (said the choirboy to the paedophile!)

gilbertharding

Quote from: Pancake on August 11, 2021, 12:44:05 PM
Talking of yachting timers I absolutely spunked myself silly when this emerged a couple of years ago

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1980s-heuer-regatta-pvd-reference-134-601?variant=29964816580683

That's nice. I fancy one of those Porsche Design PO11 jobs, after too much watching The Professionals while on furlough.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 11, 2021, 12:29:34 PM
FFS i like my Feiko but now I feel like I need an authentic watch to compensate and I'm looking at loads of lovely vintage watches and I can't stop, send help

If it's of any help, I often look lustfully upon my partner's Feiko and then feel nothing but disdain towards my genuine Seiko.

touchingcloth

My wood wedding anniversary is coming up and I fancy a wooden watch for it. Hit me with your best options...

This is where I'm leaning at the moment:

touchingcloth

I bought it, so if you know of nicer ones please keep them to yourself.

shiftwork2

It is rather beautiful.

Mr Banlon

Don't usually go for these, but it was £30 and I like the look of it.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 30, 2021, 12:52:57 PM
Talking of gifts, I was given a Gruen Curvex last week. Curved face and mechanism made in the mid '40s.

Bit of an oddity, can't find a good picture on google so will upload one later today if I remember.

Forgot to do this.

Assumed the curved face/mechanism would be a gimmick but it is impressively comfortable. I'll add it to the pile of watches that are far too nice to wear outside and stick with my F91w.

Mr Banlon

That is handsome Ferris.

Mr Banlon

I really want one of these :

Kienzle Life 2002 (1970)

vanilla.coffee

I treated myself to one of these Seiko 'save the ocean' King Turtle. Apologies for the size of the image, I don't know how to make it smaller.

Sebastian Cobb

Add some scaling

[img width=400]http://blah.blah.tld/path/to/img.jpg[/img]

vanilla.coffee

That's better, thank you sir.

Just got myself one of the Seiko 'save the oceans' King Turtle.
Very pleased with it.

Famous Mortimer

Someone has done a "stealth mod" of the F-91W on Etsy, and it looks ace. Don't know how good it'd look in everyday use, but it's a fun idea. Have a look.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 09, 2021, 03:20:22 PM
Someone has done a "stealth mod" of the F-91W on Etsy, and it looks ace. Don't know how good it'd look in everyday use, but it's a fun idea. Have a look.

There's a whole community of F-91w modders and nerds out there. Cleaning the face with isopropyl alcohol to go all black is quite common, as is buy the diffuser screen stuff and cutting a new section out at 90 degrees from the regular one to invert the black/green.

I can't decide if it is very cool or just a bit mad, but I am tempted to try it.

touchingcloth

Why does every cunt have that shitty old Casio? When did that start?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2021, 06:58:22 PM
Why does every cunt have that shitty old Casio? When did that start?

I bought mine for two reasons, both lock-down related:

• Kept taking my Seiko 5 off when I got in the shower, and forgetting to put it on to the point both date/time needed setting.
  • The clear strap grey version really matched the grey loungewear I was wearing at the time.

Point 1 kept happening for a bit, but I typically just sleep and shower in the cunt half the time now.
I could've bought a cheap quartz analogue I suppose (Lorus' are good, had them in the past, owned by Seiko I think) but thought fuck it, cheap design classic. Not sure they ever really went away.

Sebastian Cobb

I was looking for a Raketa Big Zero but while pouring through chrono24 I found this which I reckon is even nicer and was quite a bit cheaper.

Evening watch watchers.

Any opinions on the new Seiko Alpinist range?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/seiko-prospex-the-1959-alpinist-modern-re-interpretation-introducing

Tempted by the grey face with steel bracelet. Unfortunately the green face isn't available with the metal strap.

Johnny Foreigner

I only use a pocket watch, which obliges me to wear a waistcoat every day.

A Beefeater told me he liked it.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 13, 2021, 07:35:57 PM
I was looking for a Raketa Big Zero but while pouring through chrono24 I found this which I reckon is even nicer and was quite a bit cheaper.

Nice. Been meaning to look for a raketa, chrono24 is legit is it? Wasn't sure tbh.

Also is that a cloth face? What's going on there?

touchingcloth

Ferris

Just bought a Raketa Big Zero. Will be here in a week and a half. Dead excited, and for what it is, it wasn't that expensive.

The exterior facing stuff is from the early '80s, wouldn't be surprised if the interior is rebuilt from a cheaper watch (the Soviets all used the same mechanism apparently and I don't care if that's the case as long as it works). Looks lovely.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 13, 2021, 11:00:16 PM
Yes?

Pretend I'm an idiot (because I am) but I've never seen a cloth-faced watch before.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 13, 2021, 11:02:38 PM
Pretend I'm an idiot (because I am) but I've never seen a cloth-faced watch before.

Can I help?

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 13, 2021, 11:12:21 PM
Can I help?

Hello. I saw a watch earlier, well a picture of a watch really and the face, right, looked like it was made of like fabric or something? I've never seen that before, what's all that about?

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 13, 2021, 11:34:04 PM
Hello. I saw a watch earlier, well a picture of a watch really and the face, right, looked like it was made of like fabric or something? I've never seen that before, what's all that about?

Pass, I don't know anything about watches. I assumed you'd be after me for one of my areas of expertise such as only just realising obvious things.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 13, 2021, 11:42:45 PM
Pass, I don't know anything about watches. I assumed you'd be after me for one of my areas of expertise such as only just realising obvious things.

Well this has been a massive waste of everyone's time. I hope you're happy.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 14, 2021, 01:34:13 AM
Well this has been a massive waste of everyone's time. I hope you're happy.

Delighted, cheers.