Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deathloop

Started by AngryGazelle, August 02, 2021, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shirley the most apt comparison is with Zelda: Majora's Mask?

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 27, 2021, 03:58:08 PM
Shirley the most apt comparison is with Zelda: Majora's Mask?

A little bit, but the big difference is time in Deathloop isn't continuously ticking away, it's broken down into 4 areas, and 4 times of day, but each combination represents a sort of fixed status. So, for example, "Area A, Evening" might have an open door that isn't there in the morning, but there isn't a point in time where someone comes to open the door, the status is basically fixed until you leave the area and advance to the next block of time. So following routines is less a matter of "I have to be here at 3:15 and catch this guy as we he walks across a bridge" and more like "I need to make this choice in Area B, Noon to affect to layout of Area D, Evening."

Timothy

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 26, 2021, 08:17:30 PM
Hmmm I've not really been able to play much of it but there
Spoiler alert
is definitely a way of decompressing the whole lab in the complex that will kill everyone in it
[close]
.  I think there might be some issues depending on which order you go about things as I think you can miss information that you need to do different things at different times/places
Spoiler alert
it is a bit disappointing but I'm not sure you can poison people I don't know though not got to far
[close]

Thing I would say is just remember you might have killed two visionaries but they are not dead; they are still alive as soon as the next loop starts so killing a boss isn't like killing a boss in a normal game, which is what I was saying about these criticisms of it being linear not making sense.

Thanks for your reply! I think that, at first, I didn't really get what the game was asking from me and tried to play it too much as a Dishonored game. Played for a few more hours and are more into it now. Things are starting to make more sense. Really enjoying it so far.

Timothy

Finished it. At a certain point it all makes sense and then you just have to follow the dots to get to the end.

Great game. Didn't enjoy it as much as Dishonored (one of my favorite Arkane series) but definitely better than Prey. Great use of the haptic feedback.

Going to replay some stages the next couple of days. Lots of side quests still to find I think!

Blue Jam

This anything like Prey: Mooncrash then?

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 21, 2021, 10:03:21 PM
have you tried Prey?

I don't think Chedney is a fan

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Timothy on September 30, 2021, 07:20:34 AM
Finished it. At a certain point it all makes sense and then you just have to follow the dots to get to the end.

Great game. Didn't enjoy it as much as Dishonored (one of my favorite Arkane series) but definitely better than Prey. Great use of the haptic feedback.

Going to replay some stages the next couple of days. Lots of side quests still to find I think!

Cool hopefully I might get sometime on the weekend to play it a bit - I'm currently 5% completed (it says)

Chedney Honks

Update: I really enjoyed Deathloop, but unfortunately I didn't really get the whole timeloop elements of the game, because I finished it first go.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 30, 2021, 09:17:35 AM
This anything like Prey: Mooncrash then?

I've not played that and I didn't even know it existed so thanks might have a go on it as I really enjoyed Prey.   Sometimes games just hit me at the right time in life; I'm struggling to get to play Deathloop for any long period which I think is what you need to do to really get into it. Prey funnily was like this for in the cold isolated feel to it all a love a game I can switch of the lights and pretend I'm a space cowboy or whatever pew! pew!

It's a bit like Prey I'd say but more silly and anarchic there isn't the sense of oppression about anything it's just really good fun but I do think there could have been more elements of Dishonoured brought in but I suspect this might be the first part of the IP with more to come.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 01, 2021, 12:39:46 PM
Update: I really enjoyed Deathloop, but unfortunately I didn't really get the whole timeloop elements of the game, because I finished it first go.

There he is.

Hahaha, alright, I'll let you have that one :D

Blue Jam

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 01, 2021, 12:42:07 PM
I've not played that and I didn't even know it existed so thanks might have a go on it as I really enjoyed Prey.

Mooncrash is set in the same universe as Prey, with the same mechanics, but it's a very different game. In Mooncrash you have to get five people off the Pytheas moonbase in one go, and the fun comes from dying repeatedly as you figure out the various escape routes, which ones are open to each of the five characters, and the correct order. It sounds like Deathloop isn't that far removed from all that.

As much as I love Prey I think I enjoyed Mooncrash even more, although it doesn't have the same replay value as the base game. I doubt I'll do another playthough, or at least not for a good few years.

Timothy

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 02, 2021, 12:44:10 PM
Mooncrash is set in the same universe as Prey, with the same mechanics, but it's a very different game. In Mooncrash you have to get five people off the Pytheas moonbase in one go, and the fun comes from dying repeatedly as you figure out the various escape routes, which ones are open to each of the five characters, and the correct order. It sounds like Deathloop isn't that far removed from all that.

As much as I love Prey I think I enjoyed Mooncrash even more, although it doesn't have the same replay value as the base game. I doubt I'll do another playthough, or at least not for a good few years.

That definitely sounds like Deathloop. I think you will really enjoy Deathloop too.

oggyraiding

Deathloop's year of Sony console exclusivity has just ended, and it's coming to Game Pass on Xbox Series X/S and (I think) PC, on September 20th.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: oggyraiding on September 15, 2022, 05:06:43 PMDeathloop's year of Sony console exclusivity has just ended, and it's coming to Game Pass on Xbox Series X/S and (I think) PC, on September 20th.

interesting, I was gonna skip it but I have to at least give it a try.  After Prey I think it'll feel like a step down though.

Clownbaby

I think I'm missing something with this but maybe I should just have a proper stab at it, because I got bored and stopped pretty early. I wasn't keen on the AI of the enemies. It felt cheap and a bit... random? Sometimes I'd be behind some cunt after approaching them from an angle where they would surely have at least sensed me and there would be no change in the enemy's behaviour. I found this out when I played around with just not bothering to sneak up (carefully or quietly) on enemies when they were alone. Several times it seemed like I should have absolutely been rumbled and shot at, but it felt like I was coming at a deaf and blind person.

BUT any time I tried to inch carefully round to some enemies and use hiding places properly they seemed to be on laser-sighted  alert and absolutely group around me, shooting, in seconds. It just feels like one of those games like Hitman where, yes, you could do a whole range of elaborate tricks to complete the stages, but the amount of choice makes things almost meaningless to me and I just end up thinking "but why would I even bother when I can literally just jump them" . I don't know, maybe I'm playing it wrong and the AI is actually great. I was looking up what other people think and it's all I can find in comments is people bickering about whether or not the AI is bad.

I like the way the game looks and the character design is pretty nice. The whole concept of it is fun and that but not that arsed about how the gameplay feels. I'm not connecting to it. Then again I wasn't that impressed with Prey and the Dishonored games either.

bgmnts

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 23, 2022, 01:41:49 AMThen again I wasn't that impressed with Prey and the Dishonored games either.

Snob mode: always boggles my mind, this.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on September 24, 2022, 10:41:17 AMSnob mode: always boggles my mind, this.

Me too, but I think there's a reason that those types of immersive sim are continually niche games that don't tend to sell that well.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 23, 2022, 01:41:49 AMThen again I wasn't that impressed with Prey and the Dishonored games either.

*paging @Crenners *

falafel

I loved Dishonored but found Prey frustrating and surprisingly lacking in character, although I know my instincts about it are wrong given how many people asked it, I just couldn't fall in love with it.

(Back on topic,) so who can predict whether I will like Deathloop? Tenner to whoever guesses right first. I'm not buying it any time soon though so you're in for a wait.

bgmnts

Not really mega into this at the moment. Only just finished my first day but it seems a bit like it's a cobbled together asset flip type game of Dishonoured.

The Crumb

Also started playing this on Gamepass and the opening hour or so was rough going. The awful script that sounds like a 13 year old's Tarantino fan fiction. The characters that won't shut up. 'The Hackamajig'. Crap looking weapons that don't feel satisfying to shoot. Getting interrupted by a popup saying 'Play how you like' then when I shot someone getting interrupted by another one saying 'Have you tried stealth?'

There was a certain archness to Prey I disliked, and this seems to have gone all in on that vibe.

madhair60

Quote from: The Crumb on September 27, 2022, 10:04:33 AMGetting interrupted by a popup saying 'Play how you like' then when I shot someone getting interrupted by another one saying 'Have you tried stealth?'

This is every Arkane game, yes. lol. "Play how you like" is bullshit, all the way back to Dishonoured.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: The Crumb on September 27, 2022, 10:04:33 AMAlso started playing this on Gamepass and the opening hour or so was rough going. The awful script that sounds like a 13 year old's Tarantino fan fiction. The characters that won't shut up. 'The Hackamajig'. Crap looking weapons that don't feel satisfying to shoot. Getting interrupted by a popup saying 'Play how you like' then when I shot someone getting interrupted by another one saying 'Have you tried stealth?'

There was a certain archness to Prey I disliked, and this seems to have gone all in on that vibe.

I love Arkane's games but they have never been good plotters or dialogue writers (although I felt like it was decent to good in Prey, and Benedict Wong carried the whole thing), and christ would I not have made a straightforward FPS out of their engine.

What Dishonoured and Prey are are great climbing up and over and under stuff, finding little things and navigating environments games.  More like Thief than Deus Ex if you will.

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on September 27, 2022, 11:04:58 AMThis is every Arkane game, yes. lol. "Play how you like" is bullshit, all the way back to Dishonoured.

Well if it is illusory they created a MUCH better illusion in Dishonoured and Prey. Moreso Prey.

This doesn't feel right and I'm mostly just bored playing it.

Pink Gregory

Avoid combat or engage in combat has never really been much of a compelling choice anyway.

bgmnts

Just spent half an hour looking for a battery and realised there are more fun ways to waste my life gaming.

Fuck this shit.

Mobius

Yeah I'm finding Deathloop a bit crap too. Annoying Borderlands style dialogue and characters, shooting feels unsatisfying. Maybe the loop stuff will make it fun but feels average so far.

Timothy

I liked Dishonored more but found it more enjoyable then Prey. It takes a while before it gets going (when I played it last year I made a comment here about it not clicking and not really enjoying it) but the moment the loop starts it becomes a very intriguing puzzle.

madhair60

I liked Deathloop better than others I guess. The dialogue didn't really bother me, it felt like an interesting antagonistic relationship that develops nicely.

The Crumb

For me, this was complete night soil. One of the smuggest and most actively irritating games I've ever played. Doesn't seem to be anything about it that couldn't have been done on a ps3.