Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City.

Started by Glebe, October 07, 2021, 09:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City trailer.

So I bought and have been playing Resident Evil HD Remaster for the Xbox recently, and what do you know, along comes a movie reboot that could well be shite in fairness but at least looks more faithful to the game series than the Paul W.S. Anderson franchise. But fingers crossed it turns out to be decent. Kaya Scodelario is playing Claire Redfield, saw her in Crawl a little while ago and she was very good, and Hannah John-Kamen who played Ghost in Ant Man and the Wasp (which I just watched again the other night) is playing Claire Redfield... Donald Logue (Harvey Bullock in Gotham) is in it too, not sure I recognise the rest of the cast.

Anyway, not expecting much from this but you never know, could be entertaining enough.

popcorn

"Witness the beginning of evil"

Didn't know they made a movie about my mother-in-law!!!!

Trailer: "every story has a beginning" oh dear.

bgmnts

Looks absolutely dog shit.

I basically want Resident Evil one played by amateur LARPers. Basically the incredible PS1 intro extended into a feature film.

madhair60

Glebe

Quote from: popcorn on October 07, 2021, 09:58:21 PM"Witness the beginning of evil"

Didn't know they made a movie about my mother-in-law!!!!

Quote from: bgmnts on October 07, 2021, 10:01:44 PMLooks absolutely dog shit.

Quote from: madhair60 on October 07, 2021, 10:05:25 PMworthless

Yeah as I said not expecting much tbh. At least it looks a bit more like the games then the Milla Jovovich ones though.

Mister Six

Does anyone care though? Even the games don't bother with zombies and Umbrella and all that any more. it's just weirdos in manky brown houses now.

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on October 07, 2021, 10:05:46 PM

Yeah as I said not expecting much tbh. At least it looks a bit more like the games then the Milla Jovovich ones though.

Yesh tbh dogshit isn't even really an insult. I don't expeft anything video game related in other media to be genuinely critically good, just sufficiently entertaining and cheesy to enjoy ironically (Street Fighter film) or enthusiastically (Mortal Kombat film).

This may be a fun piece of shit to digest.

dissolute ocelot

The Paul WS Anderson films were often a lot of fun, despite the fact that Anderson famously hated zombies, preferring high-tech dungeons, clones, psychic powers, holograms of little girls, cliffhanger endings that were totally forgotten about in subsequent films, and a rotating cast of spirited b-movie stars such as Michelle Rodriguez, Iain Glen, and Shawn Roberts (although they did have some nice mutant monsters not dissimilar from those in the games).

As for the trailer. Well done on finding a terrible version of the most overused song in movie history (For What It's Worth). It might be an adequate horror-actioner, it might be late night TV fare, but I doubt it'll spawn 5 sequels.

Rev+

There's a TV series on the way that got quite a bit of coverage when it was announced, but this seems to have come out of nowhere and it's out in a few weeks?

It looks cheap as fuck but I'm alright with that.  One of the B-movie aspects I liked about the original game was that although it had a grand hall at the centre of it, some of the back areas looked like unfinished sets that hadn't been painted yet, even though it was digital.  Good to see that they're piling in all of the characters, with one notable and frankly unacceptable exception.  The dogs look like they're a right pain in the arse to shoot, which is right and proper.

Heeey heeeey heeey that song can fuck off, but this looks like it might be a bit of a giggle and closer to the spirit of the games than those other flicks.

beanheadmcginty

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Glebe on October 07, 2021, 10:05:46 PM

Let's just play the games then. It won't be as good as them, won't look ENOUGH like them, and they're still right there and always will be. This exists to make money from people unfortunate enough to not have played those brilliant games. It's not for us. It's for them, so we've no right to be bothered by how shit it looks.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Ironically, given the source material, it looks way too digital. Something like this needs to be proper grubby looking, with a nice thick layer of film grain and lens abberations. I suppose they could have switched that off for the sake of Youtube's video compression.

People always say there's no point in films of games and maybe they have a point, but I would still quite like to see a decent adaptation of the first couple of games. This doesn't really look like it though.

Magnum Valentino

It really, really looks like the remakes of 2 and 3. The poster looks like a still from the game.

Part of why the idea of making those games into films is doomed is because they have audible (and in 1, visual) performance of scripted dialogue in them.

Mortal Kombat (a film I love) is different because they took characters who only existed visually and in onscreen text cards and filled in the blanks.

With RE, and with any cross-media remake that so closely resembles its source, you're essentially recasting, rather than adapting, especially in the case of the first one where there are actors already associated with the roles because of the bookend filmed sequences. You run the risk then of upsetting fans because the actors can only be an imitation of the original performances (which won't be as good) or completely different (which won't be as good).

It's like Homer Simpson says. Never try.

Could you argue that the truly worthy adaptations from other media in history only exist because a great visionary talent (Copolla, Kubrick, Ridley Scott etc) saw potential in someone else's story and thought "I can make something that every cunt will remember for fucking FOREVER with this"? Yeah. You could.

That's not with this is. This is another film made purely to sell tickets, made by people who can't generate ideas so look around for other places to take them from, and instead of using the broad strokes and inserting Milla Jovovich into them in a red dress, they've just nicked them wholesale.

That's why I don't think it's for fans of the games. We HAVE the games. I know this is a standard issue "Hollywood has no new ideas" rant, but it applies 100% to this film. They want to sell this to people who like horror films but don't play computer games. They want to sell Resident Evil to people for the first time.

They've rebadged it you fool.

Famous Mortimer

I liked the Jovovich movies just fine, and am happy they're doing another one. Aside from a lot of part 4 and smidgeons of the games past that, I've never really been super into Resident Evil the game series, though.

Mister Six

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 08, 2021, 12:53:27 PM
It really, really looks like the remakes of 2 and 3. The poster looks like a still from the game.

Part of why the idea of making those games into films is doomed is because they have audible (and in 1, visual) performance of scripted dialogue in them.

Mortal Kombat (a film I love) is different because they took characters who only existed visually and in onscreen text cards and filled in the blanks.

Putting aside "GET OVER HERE!", Mortal Kombat games have featured cutscenes, voiced acting and ever more elaborate stories for about a decade and a half no.

I think the problem is that Resident Evil and its sequels are fundamentally just a big mess of film tropes - zombies, man-crushing ceilings, killer birds, murder mysteries, haunted mansions, evil scientists, murderous rednecks etc - and what makes them fun is being able to gad about in that environment yourself. Remove the interactive element and you just have a lot of mostly paper-thin characters[nb]The protagonists and immediate supporting cast, at least; I know the villains became increasingly entertainingly absurd.[/nb] spouting shit-awful dialogue in repetitive and dull plots while getting tangled up in increasingly elaborate and incoherent continuity.

There are very few games whose stories, characters and settings are strong enough to stand alone from their gameplay, and those games (RPGs, adventure games and the like) are usually so long that they'd be better suited to a hefty novel, if not an entire series of novels, rather than a 90-to-120-minute film.

bgmnts

Quote from: Mister Six on October 08, 2021, 05:52:07 PM
Putting aside "GET OVER HERE!", Mortal Kombat games have featured cutscenes, voiced acting and ever more elaborate stories for about a decade and a half no.

Well, now yeah.  And they've only been competent since 9. It went through various stages of cringe gash culminating in this:
https://youtu.be/UNkRvcUn6VM

Mister Six

Haha, didn't even have to click on that to know what it would be. The acting is actually better than the English translation of Resident Evil, though.

STOP IT

DON'T OPEN

THAT DOOR

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Mister Six on October 08, 2021, 05:52:07 PM

Not when the film came out, mind. Context is important there.

Goldentony

all anyone wanted from the MK film was Scorpion and Scorpion getting someone with the fucking GET OVER HERE and we got Scorpion for about 7 mins total and no GET OOOOOOOOOOVER HEEEEEEEEEEEERE in anyones fucking head

Mister Six

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 08, 2021, 06:57:38 PM
Not when the film came out, mind. Context is important there.

Oh, I was thinking of the film that came out this year.

Mister Six

Do wish they'd do a Grim Fandango film, but god knows who'd fund it or who it would be aimed at.

Kelvin

It looks far more faithful than the previous films, but being faithful to the games is going to translate into a stupid, embarrassing story with a bizarre tone and dull characters. You simply can't capture what makes RE wonderful in a film. The most iconic, fundamental pillars of the series' storytelling are simply too stupid.

Goldentony

Quote from: Kelvin on October 08, 2021, 08:56:58 PM
It looks far more faithful than the previous films, but being faithful to the games is going to translate into a stupid, embarrassing story with a bizarre tone and dull characters. You simply can't capture what makes RE wonderful in a film. The most iconic, fundamental pillars of the series' storytelling are simply too stupid.

there has to be a serious enough angle to look at "there's so many men and napoleonic child princes out there wanting to turn themselves into bio terrorism squids that there's an entire task force for it" as an unfolding scenario

BritishHobo

Indeed. Granted I only played the majority of the franchise for the first time last year (4 having been my one, beloved, insight into the franchise), but I was surprised to realise, after years of thinking there was this amazing overarching story, that... well, it's pretty barebones isn't it? The games are fantastic, but I had it in my head that the first three games must take you on this massive journey. When ultimately you don't really leave Raccoon City or that small window of events. And then all the set-up at the end of 3 (awww, maybe all the gang will finally team up and bring down Wesker) kinda gets tossed away and the franchise continues in very fragmented, spaced-out ways that, as you all say, add a load of mad, random shit to the world of the story. Which is very very fun in the games, but would come off daft and pointless when trying to make a compelling overarching film franchise.  "Forget about all the Raccoon City stuff, we're going to Spain now and it's not really going to have anything to do with the ongoing plot, and three of the franchise leads will be completely absent."

I was in a Resident Evil group on Facebook, but I finally left today because they were reminding me why I hate most gaming discussion spaces online. Not because they were slagging the trailer off, but because of their stupid reasons, where faithfulness is the only metric of quality. CLAIRE DOESN'T HAVE A PONYTAIL SO IT'S BAD, and LEON ISN'T WHITE WHICH IS AWFUL, and ACTUALLY CLAIRE IS IN IT TOO MUCH, IT'S ALL WOKE NONSENSE TRYING TO SHOW OFF HOW WOMEN ARE BETTER THAN MEN. Fucking grow up. Worst of all was the fury that by combining 1 and 2 into one story, they're diluting all that plot. Like all those discussions about how Harry Potter should be adapted as a TV show to include all the detail the films missed. Except here there's surely just not that much content. If you cut out all the puzzle stuff (unless you really want to watch Kaya Scodelario repeatedly finding keys and backtracking into rooms she's been into so she can find more keys to open other doors), I'm not sure you can really pad out the characters moving through the Spenser Mansion and the RPD in a way that will satisfyingly fill two films.

mothman

Still think Raccoon City is a really silly name for an apparently bustling metropolis.

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on October 08, 2021, 09:28:23 PMStill think Raccoon City is a really silly name for an apparently bustling metropolis.

At least it's not called Beaver City!

Goldentony

just watched The Dead Don't Die and that's more or less the perfect RE film right down to how the mad dialogue's delivered

Jerzy Bondov

All this fucking about with Resi 1 and 2, fuck that, make a film of Resi 4, the best one. Get the dog up there on the big screen where he belongs. Chainsaw Baghead. "You've lost it completely Krauser". Ashley doing a sliding puzzle. It writes itself

mothman