Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Sopranos prequel - The Many Saints Of Newark

Started by Custard, June 29, 2021, 05:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McChesney Duntz

PlanktonSideburns

bgmnts

To be fair I absolutely hate the fact Michael Franzese is somehow still earning a living off the back of his life of crime like an absolute bastard.

Go with god you cunt.

Chollis

https://deadline.com/2021/10/the-sopranos-david-chase-hbo-max-prequel-series-1234859438/

Sounds like Dave's open to doing a prequel series if Big Tez Winter is co-writing.

QuoteAnn Sarnoff, CEO, Studios and Networks, WarnerMedia, told Deadline that the company was "thrilled" with the results of The Many Saints of Newark.

"We're talking to David about a new series, Sopranos related, on HBO Max," she said.

Chase said that if he was to return to The Sopranos world, any such potential story would take place after the film, which is set in the late 1960s and 1970s and before the original series, which starts around 1998. "There's only one way that I would do it, and that was if Terry [Winter] and I could write the script together. That I would do."

Custard

If love to see a ten episode one off series, but I really can't see it happening. I think if anything, it'll be another film. Which of course is also very welcome

Chollis

series or fuck it imo. don't want another one of....whatever this film was

colacentral

Bumping as this is the most recent Sopranos thread, just to say that I came across this page yesterday and found it an interesting read:

https://lobsterlagoon.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/made-in-america/

It also links halfway down to a forum post that goes into much greater detail about the idea of Chris' murder being an unconscious murder of Tony's father.

There's alot in there that I hadn't noticed. The gambling in "Chasing It" I always took as just a symbol of how Tony is by this point not even adhering to the rules of his own loose moral framework, but the explanation here makes perfect sense.

Same with the Cleaver merch - it's not hard to pick up that the Cleaver logo triggers something in Tony, but you're led to the most obvious conclusion that the trigger merely relates to being reminded of Christopher's passive aggressive film. The thought that the finger chopping incident is being recalled never once entered my mind (I think partly because A) in the grand scheme of horrible acts in the show, finger chopping seems mild; and B) it was depicted with a flash back scene, which I hate all iterations of).

QDRPHNC

Only half way through, but this is a really interesting article, thanks for posting.

beanheadmcginty

This was easily the most disappointing film I've seen this week, and bear in mind that in the past week I have seen Eternals, Ghostbusters Afterlife, The French Dispatch and Rise of the Footsoldier 5.

I thought the girl who played Janice looked astonishingly like how I imagine Janice would look lie as a kid. Exactly the same face.

But my main question about it is: there's a scene where one of the characters is standing in front of a record shop. On the shop's sign it specifies that it sells "vinyls" (amongst other things). Now I thought that the hideous word "vinyls" was only coined by the pesky millennial kids of today who have just got into record collecting. Surely this sign would say "vinyl" singular? So is this a case of the set designers fucking up or have Americans always referred to records as "vinyls" plural?

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 27, 2021, 10:32:23 AMSo is this a case of the set designers fucking up or have Americans always referred to records as "vinyls" plural?

I have never heard anyone refer to "vinyls" in my life, and if I had, they'd be residing a couple yards south of here in an undisclosed location...

rjd2

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 27, 2021, 10:32:23 AMThis was easily the most disappointing film I've seen this week, and bear in mind that in the past week I have seen Eternals, Ghostbusters Afterlife, The French Dispatch and Rise of the Footsoldier 5.

I watched both ROTFS and this film this week and I actually was more annoyed with this sadly. ROTFS wasn't great obviously but I knew what I was getting when I turned it on so expectations very low and well yeah. 

This however annoyed me immensely,nearly all the cast doing crap impressions of the future selves, most notably Silvio, the supposed "humor" was just references to the TV series and the music was very clumsy unlike in the tv series.

The lead added little also and whatever Ray Liotta was doing nobody knows.