Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

There was a guy on the Antiques Roadshow on Sunday last who'd bought a 'pre-moon' 1967 Omega Speedmaster at a car boot sale because his old watch had just stopped, for a fiver. Don't remember if he said when this was, but anyway: he'd immediately been offered £50 for it by a bloke who seemingly overheard the transaction being made.

The expert, after explaining to matey what it was, 'offered' him £500, which matey would have happily accepted. The real price was given as £5000. "You could get a brand new one for that," I said.

Anyway, I wondered, if he genuinely didn't know it was worth more than £500, what was he doing at the Antiques Roadshow. Doesn't he have the internet?

My wife said to me that if my brother or sister had been the ones clearing out my late uncle's flat, his Omega Constellation would likely have gone in a car boot sale for a fiver too.

Famous Mortimer

I like that one - hopefully it'll have some of the weight of the original (I've noticed modern Casio versions of old classics can be a little insubstantial). Talking of which, I've got my eye on a new G-Shock which I'm going to get if I get this new job I just interviewed for, which looks a little thinner than my old one, but that's good cos it's not like I'm going to be using it on a building site.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on January 26, 2022, 04:05:28 PMNice. I quite like these Casio A500s - you can adjust the timezone and the LCD screen highlights the timezone you're in. Nice useless bit of over-engineering.

'ere, you got the timezone, mate?

Steven88

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 15, 2022, 08:50:36 PMNew York World's Fair 1964/1965 'big crown'

That would make me an one.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on January 08, 2022, 11:29:48 PMAnyway, I only mention it because I'm ogling a Casio Duro for all that deep sea diving I get up to.

Phwoarr. Would be great on a black nato strap I reckon.

Bought one, went for a nato strap as well.

Delighted.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on January 26, 2022, 01:59:20 PM

For all my talk of impracticality, it would look great on our bookshelves so I just bought one with the last of my crypto. Excited to see those cool Nixie tubes in all their glory.

Bought the Casio above with Bitcoin/ETH as well, for the record. If you're going to buy silly stuff you don't need, you might as well do it with silly internet money that has no inherent value. That's science.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 15, 2022, 08:50:36 PMNew York World's Fair 1964/1965 'big crown'

Dial replaced with vintage military M.O.D dial

Ferris

I'm becoming slightly obsessed with these Soviet diving watches. Vostok make some beauts.

Sebastian Cobb

I had a vostok submarine commander, it looked lovely but I dunno if it was a fake or just shite because the finish chipped off really easy and the bezel thing broke because it was made of shitty pewter, and the date function jammed.

Mr Banlon

Vostok cases are just chrome plated brass. I just sanded off the chrome and let the brass oxidize

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on February 12, 2022, 05:45:13 PMI'm becoming slightly obsessed with these Soviet diving watches. Vostok make some beauts.

Bought this while pissed.

Ferris

The Nixie tube clock arrived today and it looks great. Dead chuffed.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ferris on February 12, 2022, 05:45:13 PMI'm becoming slightly obsessed with these Soviet diving watches. Vostok make some beauts.

What's the two-colour bezel on that about then?

(Nice watch!)

Ferris

The soviets seemed to be mad into them for some reason, no idea why but all the ones I looked at have them. I think they're quite charming really, weird bit of oddness for no real reason.

Blue Jam

I assume it's so you can mark a 20 minute/4 hour block of time, but for what?

Ferris

It's to do with the length of a dive - by the time you get to the red bit it's time to start heading back up and I think you're supposed to take the full 20 minutes to avoid decompression snafus. It's something like that anyway, I think western equivalents sometimes have 15 minute increments rather than the Soviet 20 minutes.

Blue Jam

Interesting, cheers Ferris! What could you use it for though? Wort cooking times?

Ferris

As with all things watch, if I actually wanted to know the time or set a timer I'd use my phone!

You could set it to see how far you are through an episode of Friends.

touchingcloth

In Soviet Russia, watch wind you.

Blue Jam

Ferris

Good heavens.

I've had to switch to western watches while all this WW3 business is going on which is a right pain because all the stuff I like the most is eastern bloc.

Lucky I got my Casio diver, I'd be fucked without it.

Blue Jam

Famous Mortimer

Blocked for me, in the US. I hope some black vans don't pull up outside my office this morning.

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 27, 2022, 11:32:23 PMMight preorder this, looks real classy:

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Hublot-Spirit-of-Big-Bang-Titanium-Rainbow-39mm-665.NX.9910.LR.0999/p/17170833
That's beautiful but the strap's a bit too understated for my taste. Wonder if they do an onyx one.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 28, 2022, 02:20:46 PMBlocked for me, in the US. I hope some black vans don't pull up outside my office this morning.

Back up, all praise Starlink

touchingcloth

I once went on a work trip to Stuttgart, and there was an American guy there whose watch told time in binary, and was worn as a ring rather than as a bracelet, and which didn't actually show the time until the big fat fucking thing was spun around your finger. Every time he wanted to know the time - which was about seventy times an hour, from memory - he would spin the thing around his finger, and then spend a minute or so trying to convert the bright blue lights into decimal and then to minutes. In between deciphering his ring, he spoke to me about his plans to travel to the Philippines to find a wife, because "their culture is less decadent than modern America, and more akin to America in the 1950s".

What do you think of that, watch fans?

Dex Sawash

Certainly the right place if you're seeking a wife with less fewer decades

Ferris

Anyone seen the new Omega Speedmaster?

...sorry, they're a collaboration with Swatch. Why buy an Omega for 5 grand when you can buy one of these lads for 200 quid?

They're fucking great lookin'. Lots of different colour combos as well, liking the sun/yellow one and all, and the whining of angry watch nerds who spent full-whack on an Omega Speedmaster but now look foolish when I can get a cooler one for a fraction of the price is fantastic.

Blue Jam

I love the OMEGA × swatch thing. Cheeky... but at the same time it does look gawjus, yes. CRAFTSMANSHIP × playfulness, love it.

Ferris

Still considering one of those swatch speedmasters. If there was a swatch store within a thousand miles of me, I'd have gone for one already. As it is, I have to wait for the online sales to begin (if they ever do).

Edit: it's Neptune for me Clive:

I'll ditch the velcro strap for a nato on day one though.