Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hip Hop you've been listening to

Started by Joe Qunt, May 05, 2022, 03:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Qunt

I've been listening to:

Action Bronson - Cocodrillo Turbo

Roc Marciano - Marcberg

Pete Rock - Petestrumentals

Stove God Cooks and Roc Marciano - Reasonable Drought

How about you guys?

Joe Qunt

Mach-Hommy - Balens Cho (Hot Candles)

Flee Lord & Mephux - Pray For The Evil 3

The Mollusk

That Hommy album is fantastic. Not quite as good as the previous Pray For Haiti which is a career high for a man who seems to bounce from one career high to the next, but still very impressive. He remains one of the best rappers out there at the minute for me. People slate him for being uninteresting but they're missing out. People like him, Earl and MIKE have been proving for a good few years now that hip hop doesn't need bombastic bravado and big soaring beats to leave listeners awestruck.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 08, 2022, 11:11:45 PMThat Hommy album is fantastic. Not quite as good as the previous Pray For Haiti which is a career high for a man who seems to bounce from one career high to the next, but still very impressive. He remains one of the best rappers out there at the minute for me. People slate him for being uninteresting but they're missing out. People like him, Earl and MIKE have been proving for a good few years now that hip hop doesn't need bombastic bravado and big soaring beats to leave listeners awestruck.

You're absolutely spot on there. It's great that we have a healthy balance of artists occupying the same spaces but in different ways. Billy Woods, Ka, IDK, Mick Jenkins and Koreatown Oddity stand out to me as some. A much more cerebral and laid back form of rap.

That's not to say I don't love the likes of WSG, Conway, Benny i.e. the Griselda lot.

willbo

don't listen to much hip hop at all, but found this on bandcamp this morning and liked it -

https://cassieopia.bandcamp.com/album/the-constellation

bushwick

Massive fan of the King Of Salford, Jordan McCann. A man who has lived more than most and done a hell of a lot of jail. The UK's DMX, I mean that 100%. Hits me right in the guts.

Also enjoyed Bruiser Wolf's album - he has that witty audacious E-40 or Suga Free type flow, and some nice beats. Less is more perhaps - he's also on the Danny Brown crew Bruiser Brigade mixtape and maybe works better there with his wordiness set against more straightforward styles like Fat Ray:

CASISDEAD is IMO one of the best rappers the UK has ever produced, and an enigma since the grime days when he was Castro Saint. He disappears for years at a time - his catalogue is slim but imposing. You've probably heard "Pat Earrings" as it got licensed for a few TV/film things but "Commercial 2" is a masterwork of a tape. Awaiting his album on XL, all sorts of rumours about it but taking ages. He dropped a couple of tracks recently, one with La Roux on the hook, which were good but not up there with the previous stuff. In a sane world he would be absolutely huge. The Dario Argento of drug rap. Well worth investigating.

Swoz_MK

Loads of Memphis stuff recently. Happens to me every 5 years. 6 months of nothing but DJ Zirk and Koopsta then nowt for another 5 years.

Joe Qunt

Some interesting recommendations there @bushwick, I'll be sure to check them out.

Ja'moke

Westside Boogie has a new album coming soon. One of the most underrated rappers going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3--5vljPE

bushwick

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 10, 2022, 10:57:37 AMLoads of Memphis stuff recently. Happens to me every 5 years. 6 months of nothing but DJ Zirk and Koopsta then nowt for another 5 years.

Yes mate! Memphis rap is something I can listen to in just about any mood. All the 3-6 related stuff is sick AF (too many favourites to list but Lil Wyte doesn't get enough props) but aye Zirk, Playa Grim, Playa Fly, Tommy Wright and all the Blackout posse stuff. So good. I am very protective of my Memphis rap - it pisses me off when nowadays boujie producers rip it off. It's a simple sound made with simple equipment done with heart (and tuned 808 cowbells), it has to be authentic and non-cynical to work coz the ingredients are simple (see also: Delta blues, minimal techno, grime, loads of genres IMO).

It's nuts when you hear what Triple Six Mafia were doing in 1993. there was no way of knowing about it in the UK at that time - we all shat ourselves over Wu Tang but the Memphis stuff was wilder, darker, more revolutionary (and more influential, in the end). Didn't even hear about any Southern rap here apart from Geto Boyz till late 90s (Source mag, MTV Base, Napster). That early murky Triple Six stuff would have blown me away if I'd heard it at 19.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: bushwick on May 10, 2022, 04:32:04 PMYes mate! Memphis rap is something I can listen to in just about any mood. All the 3-6 related stuff is sick AF (too many favourites to list but Lil Wyte doesn't get enough props) but aye Zirk, Playa Grim, Playa Fly, Tommy Wright and all the Blackout posse stuff. So good. I am very protective of my Memphis rap - it pisses me off when nowadays boujie producers rip it off. It's a simple sound made with simple equipment done with heart (and tuned 808 cowbells), it has to be authentic and non-cynical to work coz the ingredients are simple (see also: Delta blues, minimal techno, grime, loads of genres IMO).

It's nuts when you hear what Triple Six Mafia were doing in 1993. there was no way of knowing about it in the UK at that time - we all shat ourselves over Wu Tang but the Memphis stuff was wilder, darker, more revolutionary (and more influential, in the end). Didn't even hear about any Southern rap here apart from Geto Boyz till late 90s (Source mag, MTV Base, Napster). That early murky Triple Six stuff would have blown me away if I'd heard it at 19.

I love just how "shitty" those early tapes sound, yet absolutely all the better for it.
Today I've found my inner monologue talking in triplets so I'd better knock it on the head for a few days.
I know what you mean about not hearing anything about Triple Six or anyone at that time over here. I'm sure they would have popped up in Hip Hop Connection mag but I was too busy skimming to the Soul Assassins stuff.

Joe Qunt

In honour of all this Three Six talk, I present the greatest song they ever made:

GMTV

Funny seeing three 6 mafia finally mentioned on this site. Been an absolute hardcore 36 fan for over twenty years. When the smoke clears is my favouritist album ever.

GMTV

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 10, 2022, 05:18:40 PMI love just how "shitty" those early tapes sound, yet absolutely all the better for it.
Today I've found my inner monologue talking in triplets so I'd better knock it on the head for a few days.
I know what you mean about not hearing anything about Triple Six or anyone at that time over here. I'm sure they would have popped up in Hip Hop Connection mag but I was too busy skimming to the Soul Assassins stuff.

HHC was dead against southern rap until it had grown in sufficient popularity in the UK that they had no choice but to take the fingers out their ears and admit a lot of it was great music.

I remember the head reviewer Andrew emery writing scathing, withering reviews about the likes of three 6 mafia, trick daddy, cash money etc. The big turning point was giving lil Jon's crunk juice top marks, an album that in hindsight wasn't a patch on the best of what the South had put out up to that point. That was 2004, at which point the dirty South sound was probably past its peak and beginning to sound clichéd.

bushwick

MAFIA! MAFIA MAFIA!
this song is so fucking exciting, makes me want to "act the damn fool". They did so many great posse cuts. Production is crazy too, the repeating vocal sample is too loud which makes it more crazy and cocaine-encouraging lol:

(they use the same crazy technique with NORE's "what what" all the way through his guest verse on this marvellous Project Pat track. Jesus Christ, Ghetty Green one of my all time favourite albums and Pat is the tightest rapper who ever lived)

bushwick

Quote from: GMTV on May 10, 2022, 06:24:06 PMHHC was dead against southern rap until it had grown in sufficient popularity in the UK that they had no choice but to take the fingers out their ears and admit a lot of it was great music.

I remember the head reviewer Andrew emery writing scathing, withering reviews about the likes of three 6 mafia, trick daddy, cash money etc. The big turning point was giving lil Jon's crunk juice top marks, an album that in hindsight wasn't a patch on the best of what the South had put out up to that point. That was 2004, at which point the dirty South sound was probably past its peak and beginning to sound clichéd.

Sorry to double post but this is 100% the case, I remember it well. Southern rap was hated by all gatekeepers in UK, fuckin backpack bores man. Bane of my life. Best music coming out the South but no cunt played it. Going to boring ass nights like Breaking Bread and wishing they were playing Ha by Juvenile. Outkast were seen as exception but the rest wasn't even seen as music. If you went to estates in London you'd see photos of Hot Boys and No Limit etc in black owned barbers, and Westw00d started to play it - but none of them jazz sample Blade loving wanna be Premier Brighton type whiteys gave it the time of day.

Swoz_MK

Been on a 24hr Memphis break to revisit some No Limit stuff. This track is fucking unhinged

Utter Shit

A few things I've been listening to recently, not that they are all brand new out...

Coast Contra - Never Freestyle
The first time I heard this, I think it's the most I've been excited by hip-hop in...I dunno, a decade, maybe more. All four of these kids are great but the last guy, Eric Jamal...wow. The comparisons with ODB and Busta Rhymes are inevitable, but I think he's got his own style and incredible charisma. Fantastic storytelling over a great beat (the second part of Never by JID).

Tion Wayne - I Dunno
I've never really got to grips with modern UK hip-hop and most of my reference points are about 20 years out of date (Skinnyman, Blak Twang, Jehst) but this track has proved a bit of a gateway to enjoying it a bit more. Stormzy is of course the commercial king of UKHH and with good reason, but this one shows that he can still fit in with the dirtier end of the industry. Also: come for the video, stay for the Dutchaveli jokes in the comments section. If you like this, I'd recommend Body 2, also by Tion Wayne.

Common - Courageous
Not much to say really, if you like Common you'll like this. 30 years in the game and still knocking out beautiful, calm, thoughtful tracks regularly. For me he deserves more respect as a rapper who has gone so long without ever really having a serious misstep or trying to latch onto new styles that don't suit him.

Pusha T - Spicy Fish
It took me a long time to really get the Pusha T hype, but I'm all in now. This geezer released a 60 second advert for a fast food restaurant that's harder than 90% of current rappers. Mad.

Benny The Butcher - Joe Pesci 38
I've heard a lot about the Griselda crew and liked bits and pieces of what I've heard, this is definitely the stand out for me. The beat reminds me of one of my favourite ever tracks, Small World by Nas.

Gang Starr - Lights Out
Premo is the undisputed king for me, and if it didn't sound like such a self-consciously hipster, alternative opinion I'd probably say he is my favourite hip-hop artist of all time. The bangers are few and far between nowadays, but every now and then he will throw out something that is up there with his 90s heyday. I love this one, that piano stab and M.O.P.'s usual mayhem are great.

bushwick

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 11, 2022, 08:46:28 AMBeen on a 24hr Memphis break to revisit some No Limit stuff. This track is fucking unhinged

Fuckin props, I'd never heard that before - yes, that's insane. So bloody rowdy. Beats By The Pound are absolute dons. I might even prefer their stuff to Mannie or Paul & J. I don't know though, impossible for me to call, I love em all. BBTP's hit rate is mad consistent, way higher than Swizz Beats (I like Swizz but feel he's overrated whereas BBTP are definitely underrated).

KLC's lost (but now officially released) album is full of bangers. Majestic medieval MIDI horns and Mystikal yelling his head off:

More South. Two of the realest ever, going nuts over one of those bar room brawl 70s cop show soundtrack style beats. This pair are one of the classic rap duos IMO, they sound brilliant together. Makes me want to want to have a couple of lines, roll my sleeves up and go to Wetherspoons and fight office workers:

I done an edit to add some extra KLC/BBTP heat. This track is bonkers. It actuallys beggars belief and angers me that the true-school-boom-bap-fat-laces UK gatekeepers didn't acknowledge this gear and wouldn't let it through, when it's connection to those hard, original Schooly D records and the like that they loved is so clear, to me anyway. Hard distilled drum machine business, raw hip hop:

Swoz_MK

Not heard all three of those before, amazing!

Joe Qunt

Been in the mood for the classics today, Ghostface Killah - Ironman.

dex

Been into GP WU recently. 1 member is Ghostface Killah's cousin.

bushwick

Back with another Southern banger. This whole album is a classic - at the time, rap connoisseurs rated Fiend (and Young Bleed) as the best in the No Limit camp. Mystikal's verse on this is a tour de force, a work of genius:

bushwick

totally on my New Orleans business, it's the weather for it.

Archetypal NO bounce with the Triggerman sample, constant brutal hilarious disses and shit-talking. "Let me find out that your man wears sandals/Let me find out he watch the Lifetime Channel":

Equally good remix featuring 2 other prime funny shit-talkers:

This Mystikal and Fiend joint from a good few years back (but post-No Limit). Prime KLC production and rowdy elbow throwing shit. The last bit with the female vocal call-and-response takes the hype levels off the charts. Real fight-causer of a track, but was pretty much slept on when it came out:

WhoMe

Ill Sugi did a guest mix on Tim Parker's NTS show and I had to track him down. This instrumental mixtape is gold dust. Bit of an Al Dobson Jr/Ras G feel, just really organic, expressive production creating his own little world.

Fr.Bigley

Let's get ready to rumble- PJ and Duncan.

Sebastian Cobb

After going through Treme I've become quite fascinated with Bounce.

Memorex MP3

Listening to some Saturation era Brockhampton for a couple of years, it's so weird hearing the kind of swagger they had then on a track like Boogie compared to everything since. Ameer fucking things up and getting kicked out skewed the dynamic so heavily towards Kevin Abstract that it's just felt kind pointless since.

Joe Qunt

Been listening to some underground old-school lo-fi, not this "chill beats" shit that seems to be exclusively associated with it.

iamcoop

Mainly been dipping into old Def-Jux stuff recently. I picked up the Fat Possum vinyl reissues of El-P's Fantastic Damage and Cancer 4 Cure, both of which are obviously brilliant. There's been a copy of Funcrusher Plus in my local record shop for ages but as much as I love that album I cannot justify spending £100 on a record.

I also managed to score a cheap copy of The Future Is Now by Non Phixion which I used to love back in the day. Some lazy and dated lyricism aside (Sluts this and Sluts that *sigh*) I'm pleased to report it holds up pretty well, and the beats all fucking bang.