Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:45:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Skyrim Next-Gen Remaster (Nov 2021)

Started by Chedney Honks, August 20, 2021, 06:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

The game's made for just pissing about, TBH. The actual main storyline mostly just seems to be there on sufferance and is very bare bones. It's worth following it to get your special dragon shout powers, because they're quite fun, but this isn't a Witcher 3 situation with lots of political intrigue and such that you need to keep tabs on.

Ferris

Yeah the main story has one major branching point (where you pick a side) but the rest of the campaign you could probably finish in a few hours.

It's more of a sandbox with lots of little side missions and secrets to explore.

Mister Six

And there's not much of a difference between the sides, from what I recall - you end up doing more or less the same quests on each branch, just with the enemies and NPCs swapped.

Ferris

Yeah the baddies are wearing different coloured shirts, but that's about it.

Cerys

And you can get away with not picking a side, if you're up for setting up a peace summit.

bgmnts

Just started up a new game after a long hiatus and it looks really nice on the newer console as an X/S updated title or whatever. Instant ad for 15 quid dlc almost ruined it for me though.

I half long for the days of Morrowind where you sort of half figure everything out but at least in Skyrim you can go wherever you want from the off after that five minute tutorial.

Mister Six

Quote from: Cerys on May 24, 2022, 08:23:54 PMAnd you can get away with not picking a side, if you're up for setting up a peace summit.

Oh shit, you can do that? Or do you just mean don't finish the main quest past the point where you're asked to choose a side?

Cerys

If you haven't joined either side by the time you need to use Dragonsreach to catch a dragon, you can get Balgruuf to agree to let you use it on the condition that you negotiate a temporary ceasefire.

Ferris

Quote from: Cerys on May 24, 2022, 11:16:14 PMIf you haven't joined either side by the time you need to use Dragonsreach to catch a dragon, you can get Balgruuf to agree to let you use it on the condition that you negotiate a temporary ceasefire.

What the FUCK

Poobum

Everyone gathers for a meeting at High Hrothgar, get some nice bitchy dialogue between Ulfric and Elenwen, the leader of the Thalmor.

Mister Six

My world has been shaken.

Hope I remember this when I eventually get this on sale for PS5 in about five years.

Didn't realise what you wear is important in this game.

I saw those Imperial wankers marching a prisoner somewhere so armed him with some weapons and freed him before we dispatched them all. Turned around to bask in the appreciation for helping him and instead he used the weapon I gave him to start attacking me so had to die as well. Only afterwards did I realise that I was wearing Imperial armour and the poor guy was pumped up on adrenaline and lashing out at any guard in his sight :(

king_tubby

I've not played as anything other than a Nord but apparently the NPCs are well racist if you're a Khajiit or Argonian.

bgmnts

Quote from: king_tubby on May 25, 2022, 08:54:21 AMI've not played as anything other than a Nord but apparently the NPCs are well racist if you're a Khajiit or Argonian.

Yeah I always play Oblivion or Skyrim as a Khajiit and noticed a lot of slurs. This time, i'm a wood elf and they do refer to me as elf, as in ' I'm watching you, elf!' Etc

Fantastic racism in the land of the fair haired nords.

I bet Argonians and Khajiit despise each other as well.

Mister Six

It's annoying that the game doesn't account for this in gameplay though. Fascist Viking leader cunt will still hire you even if you're a dark elf. The one thing I don't like about this game (beyond the generally weak story) is that it seems terrified of pushing back in any way whatsoever, even if it would help worldbuilding immensely.

Met some lads calling themselves The Companians, they all seem like pricks to varying levels but they also seem well hard so I'm tempted to apply to join them so they'll have my back if any street toughs of the realm try it. Now worrying that this is similar to going in the first restaurant I pass, and that I'll be stuck eating slop when there are other delightful places just round the corner with much better people to hang out with.

Mister Six

Quote from: thelittlemango on May 25, 2022, 06:00:30 PMMet some lads calling themselves The Companians, they all seem like pricks to varying levels but they also seem well hard so I'm tempted to apply to join them so they'll have my back if any street toughs of the realm try it. Now worrying that this is similar to going in the first restaurant I pass, and that I'll be stuck eating slop when there are other delightful places just round the corner with much better people to hang out with.

Aside from the bit where you have to choose sides in the civil war, there is absolutely no pushback whatsoever in Skyrim. You can be in the Companions and any other group and complete all questlines regardless of what else you're up to in the game. So don't worry, you can just fuck off the Companions if you want, or complete their questline, or whatever you like and it won't matter one bit.

(I actually found this kind of annoying, because it meant all the roleplaying fell squarely on my shoulders alone, which felt wrong after New Vegas, but I can appreciate it makes for a more relaxed game for many people.)

Ferris

Quote from: thelittlemango on May 25, 2022, 06:00:30 PMMet some lads calling themselves The Companians, they all seem like pricks to varying levels but they also seem well hard so I'm tempted to apply to join them so they'll have my back if any street toughs of the realm try it. Now worrying that this is similar to going in the first restaurant I pass, and that I'll be stuck eating slop when there are other delightful places just round the corner with much better people to hang out with.

Skyrim does a great job of this actually - you can join anyone you like (more or less) and it doesn't stop you from doing anything else.

I've read criticism of the game on this basis ("you can't be everything, it's unrealistic!") but I'm a Magic Cat Man swinging a big axe at a dragon so realism went out the window a long time ago, and besides I like being able to do everything.

Companions are good fun I reckon.

Ah that's good to know, for the sake of roleplay I'm going to be a duplicitous character who tells all the factions what they want to hear and pretends I'm dedicated to them before stabbing them all in the back and remaining loyal to whichever ends up seeming like the coolest crew.

king_tubby

There's a lovely ending to Helgen Reborn if you get that far.

Spoiler alert
Also there's a bit where you can literally pump a prostitute for information. Disgusting.
[close]

bgmnts

Quote from: Ferris on May 25, 2022, 06:45:03 PMSkyrim does a great job of this actually - you can join anyone you like (more or less) and it doesn't stop you from doing anything else.

This is true and good god if they didn't handhold you every single step of the way (go to quest giver, go to quest marker, do thing, go to other quest marker, do dungeon, go back to quest giver) and made you explore or work things out a bit, its be one of the best games ever made.

Poobum

Was never sure if vague directions and getting lost in Morrowind was a limitation of the time, or a feature, but Skyrim would have been so much better making you figure your way to places instead homing towards objective markers. No cliff racers either to make it torturous.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Poobum on May 26, 2022, 03:00:01 PMWas never sure if vague directions and getting lost in Morrowind was a limitation of the time, or a feature, but Skyrim would have been so much better making you figure your way to places instead homing towards objective markers. No cliff racers either to make it torturous.

I think there's a 'better quest directions' mod so you can turn off the hud and still have a chance of figuring it out.

falafel

I finished Skyrim a few years back but recently got it again on Switch. And I can't remember how you're supposed to kill dragons. They breathe fire! And all I have is a sword and a shit bow. I distinctly remember even on my first run through, on the first real dragon encounter (in the open air with fuck all to hide behind), thinking, well this is a load of bollocks, and getting away with it by basically cheesing it and glitching around scenery. Which I suspect is how I got through most of them

What are you actually supposed to do? They are in the sky and breathe fire at you for fuck's sake.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 26, 2022, 03:32:13 PMI think there's a 'better quest directions' mod so you can turn off the hud and still have a chance of figuring it out.

Is that available on consoles? I try not to fuck with mods in case they fuck my game up but that sounds like a great mod.

Quote from: falafel on May 27, 2022, 07:06:42 AMI finished Skyrim a few years back but recently got it again on Switch. And I can't remember how you're supposed to kill dragons. They breathe fire! And all I have is a sword and a shit bow. I distinctly remember even on my first run through, on the first real dragon encounter (in the open air with fuck all to hide behind), thinking, well this is a load of bollocks, and getting away with it by basically cheesing it and glitching around scenery. Which I suspect is how I got through most of them

What are you actually supposed to do? They are in the sky and breathe fire at you for fuck's sake.

Hate to be the 'I found it easy' bloke but if you have a fair number of potions, a bow you've grindstoned and preferably enchanted with something (even just with steel arrows, you should be able to just grind him down relatively easily.

I usually play thief/archer builds though, i'm sure if you're a nord or breton you can just smash the cunts with a big bastard axe.

king_tubby

Quote from: bgmnts on May 27, 2022, 07:12:57 AMi'm sure if you're a nord or breton you can just smash the cunts with a big bastard axe.

This is how I play, can't be arsed sneaking around, I've got a dragon bone hammer and the magic stalhrim armour, and I just chin the fuckers.

Zetetic

Quote from: Ferris on May 25, 2022, 06:45:03 PMI've read criticism of the game on this basis ("you can't be everything, it's unrealistic!") but I'm a Magic Cat Man swinging a big axe at a dragon so realism went out the window a long time ago, and besides I like being able to do everything.
It's not about realism or even really any generic demand for internal consistency, it's that Bethesda chose - for example - to make a game about an ethno-religous conflict where racism is emphasized by the story as a major theme, and then they also chose to ensure that the player's experience of that theme rendered it as meaningless as possible.

Zetetic

It's not that it's wrong to make a game where the player can do or be anything and everything, it's that shouldn't then try to make that game about discrimination and political conflict.

This dragon stuff sounds annoying, I haven't gone to the that step of the main quest yet as I'm really enjoying pottering around and speaking to clans and testing out the dynamics of the game and going off on little side quests without hassle or stress.

How long can I avoid this? I know lots of games limit a lot of the interactions and moments to when you're further along the main so I'm guessing I'll have to move things along at some point...

Also, I take back what I said about the pubs, Witcher 3's pubs are cosier and feel more vibrant, places I'd genuinely like to spend time in and weirdly think about when I encounter interesting old pubs in Europe. The pubs in Skyrim though are completely different and great in their own way, they always feel like they're full of genuinely interesting characters, in-jokes amongst the locals and mad things happening that could spill out into a fight or argument at any moment, much more like the feeling of being at the old local round the corner.

Zetetic

This is much more the case if you install the Interesting NPCs mod, which populates much of the world with people with (variably written and voiced) their own stories.

(Not available on consoles.)