Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shooting #24601

Started by bgmnts, May 15, 2022, 10:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somersetchris

Quote from: shoulders on May 25, 2022, 06:45:35 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-61574646

Loved this whole thinking out loud from Biden. Almost like you're the President mate. But then again, almost like the President has less power than people assume.

Because he's president, not a dictator. He doesn't get to enact whatever he likes. And just like Obama, whatever laws he tries to enact will be blocked by absolutely every Republican and a couple of rogue Democrats and it will fail. Republicans will vote against absolutely everything a Democrat tries to do, even if it is to prevent the murder of children. They do it on childish, petty principle and Mitch McConnell has admitted as much. They don't even try to hide it. The American system that is supposed to provide 'checks and balances' is utterly broken because even if Democrats introduced a bill to cure cancer, Republicans would vote against it and the same states would re-elect those Republicans as always do.

After the Supreme Court memo leaked about them overturning Roe v Wade, the Democrats attempted to introduce a bill that would enshrine it in law so it wouldn't matter what SCOTUS said. All of the Republicans, and Joe Mansion, voted against it so it lost 51-49. This fucking cunt Joe Mansion.

The worst thing is, they don't even represent the views of the people who elected them. Most people in America are pro-choice. Most are in favour of more gun control. But the Republican Party are against those things so they always block them. That country is fucked (and ours is not much better, Boris really snuck in that Voter ID law, didn't he?)

bgmnts

Fuck that if you vote the cunts in you're pro-child murder sorry.

shoulders

QuoteBecause he's president, not a dictator. He doesn't get to enact whatever he likes. And just like Obama, whatever laws he tries to enact will be blocked by absolutely every Republican and a couple of rogue Democrats and it will

Fully aware, sadly

JamesTC

Not a single mass shooter went to my school. A stray dog got in once. Luckily, it was gunned down by an armed guard.

JaDanketies

I was actually part of a BBS where a British guy posted that he was gonna cause mayhem at his school and he got arrested with knives and petrol and the like. AFAIK he's still institutionalised and it was a long time ago

JamesTC

I once caused mayhem at my school. I took all the art folders for one class, which were a nondescript brown, turned them all inside out and written the same lad's name on them all.

imitationleather

Quote from: JamesTC on May 26, 2022, 12:21:35 AMI once caused mayhem at my school. I took all the art folders for one class, which were a nondescript brown, turned them all inside out and written the same lad's name on them all.

I assume you got a life sentence and you're posting from a prison bum-phone?

JamesTC

Quote from: imitationleather on May 26, 2022, 01:13:07 AMI assume you got a life sentence and you're posting from a prison bum-phone?

I was never caught*, unlike these doofuses proclaiming they will shoot up a school and then loudly shooting up a school.

They'd have probably gotten away with it if, instead of shooting some children, they decided to clog the toilets or pull the fire alarm.

*I hope 17 years and the school being knocked down is enough for the statute of limitations to kick in.

Cold Meat Platter

Seems like three police 'heroes' with guns engaged the killer unsuccessfully in a firefight before he entered the school, after which the police held back and waited for backup.

JamesTC

If only the police were more armed.

Bigfella

On the news they kept calling it 'America's worst school shooting for a decade'.  They are, I think, the only country with enough school shootings to make comparisons possible.  People have mentioned the financial power that the NRA have over American politicians, which is certainly a factor.  Perhaps it's also the case that they're afraid of alienating a large section of the population - not just gun nuts and rednecks.  This Constitution cobblers goes quite deep with a lot of normal Yanks, it's much, much more important to them than Praisin' the Lord or anti-communism.

shoulders

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 26, 2022, 01:45:48 AMSeems like three police 'heroes' with guns engaged the killer unsuccessfully in a firefight before he entered the school, after which the police held back and waited for backup.

They don't like it up them!

Perhaps they should stick to their strengths, killing individual black people on dubious pretexts.

Glyn

I didn't think the details of this could get more grim but the fact that it was just one classroom and they were locked in for over half an hour just adds another layer of horror to this.

It's bad enough thinking about a Columbine 'prowling the halls' situation but fair do's America you've managed to top it.   

pigamus

Am I right in saying that Obama did have control of Congress at the start? But still did fuck all?

Porky

Nothing will change, you are dealing with this mentality .. "Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz within hours of the attack said: "Inevitably when there's a murderer of this kind, you see politicians try to politicise it, you see Democrats and a lot of folks in the media whose immediate solution is to try to restrict the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.". " Texas Governor Greg Abbott has already been asked several times about tightening gun laws in the wake of the attack but said he believed the problem was mental health and said tougher gun laws in Chicago, New York and California are ineffective.".

Porky

Far fewer deaths but we do have a similar issue in the UK with people who own and raise breeds of dog that were originally bred to to fight other dogs or attack other animals or people. There is no licencing or assessment of their suitability to own such dogs. You also have the laws re tail docking not being enforced and the cruel fuckwits buying these flat faced breeds that have problems breathing.

JaDanketies

I'm sorry but my 14 stone bear-hunting dog is a gentle giant, and that toddler absolutely yanked his tail

buzby

Quote from: Bigfella on May 26, 2022, 05:09:55 AMOn the news they kept calling it 'America's worst school shooting for a decade'.  They are, I think, the only country with enough school shootings to make comparisons possible.
It's the 27th school shooting this year, among the 248 mass shootings in the US so far.

JamesTC

Ban schools. Problem solved.

JamesTC

The major problem here is not the murder of so called children but actually the negative publicity of guns.

I'm thinking that guns need a major rebrand and perhaps a new name. Here are some suggestions:

Lethal Dispenser
Metal Protector
Anti-Gun Device
Speedy Boi
Enemy Dispersal Tool
Enforcer

bgmnts

Lead Delivery System
Communism's Bane
'Murica Sticks

Dispute resolution apparatus.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Barry Luhrman gave all of the guns in his Romeo & Juliet brands like "rapier" and "dagger" so that they could be wielded and have the original text still make a kind of sense

They should make a model called A Shooter, as in "LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT...!"

Perhaps ASS HOOTER would be more apt.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 26, 2022, 11:17:42 AMTed Cruz got pissy because he didn't like a Sky News journalist's questions.

https://news.sky.com/story/texas-school-shooting-senator-ted-cruz-storms-off-over-questions-about-gun-reform-12621583

Ted Cruz saying that America is "the safest country", and there'll be a lot of Americans who think that America is the safest country and that guns are the reason why it's the safest country. I have no reason to believe that Ted Cruz does not literally believe that the USA is the safest country, regardless of how obviously incorrect it is. You could probably shit on the pavement in Reykjavik and it'd be a major news story for decades. 

Just like Americans think they're the freest country when they incarcerate a larger proportion of their citizens than North Korea, China or Russia. (and then force them to pick cotton).

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 26, 2022, 12:12:52 PMTed Cruz saying that America is "the safest country", and there'll be a lot of Americans who think that America is the safest country and that guns are the reason why it's the safest country. I have no reason to believe that Ted Cruz does not literally believe that the USA is the safest country, regardless of how obviously incorrect it is. You could probably shit on the pavement in Reykjavik and it'd be a major news story for decades. 

Just like Americans think they're the freest country when they incarcerate a larger proportion of their citizens than North Korea, China or Russia. (and then force them to pick cotton).

"We're so safe that unlike in communist Singapore people feel no fear in marching for the rights - nay, the obligations - for teachers to bear arms."

idunnosomename

Theres lengthy streamed footage by parents outside, and the cops were refusing to let anyone go in, while not going in themselves. It was an hour until the SWAT team arrived.

Good guys with guns indeed.

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 26, 2022, 01:25:58 PMTheres lengthy streamed footage by parents outside, and the cops were refusing to let anyone go in, while not going in themselves. It was an hour until the SWAT team arrived.

Good guys with guns indeed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61588274

QuotePolice were urged to charge into a deadly school shooting in Texas by onlookers, witnesses say, with one suggesting he considered doing so himself as he became frustrated.

If armed, trained, law enforcement professionals are reluctant to go into an active shooter situation in case they themselves get or cause hostages to get killed, arming and not training schoolteachers would definitely be effective.

Would arming diplomats and athletes have diffused and ended the embassy and Olympic sieges more quickly and with fewer casualties? Would it fuck.

If I were a good guy with a gun, I'd be petrified of going anywhere near a lunatic with one of his own and less to lose.