Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

No the thoughts of a musician/producer are not the *actual* definition of bigotry. Buy a dictionary.
For people so hung up on the definitions of words they are certainly shaky on the *actual* meanings of them.

C_Larence

Quote from: phantom_power on May 25, 2022, 09:09:04 PMIf they weren't so batshit insane they would see that Gervais is not on their side. He is not a true believer. He is just a lazy hack comedian saying whatever will get him headlines as a free speech comedy warrior. He even says at the end of the special he is pro trans, as if that makes a difference to what he said in those jokes

He immediately segues that into another joke about women with penises though.

somersetchris

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 25, 2022, 09:14:29 PMNo the thoughts of a musician/producer are not the *actual* definition of bigotry. Buy a dictionary.
For people so hung up on the definitions of words they are certainly shaky on the *actual* meanings of them.

No Helen, not bothering to watch someone's show because you didn't like their last one is not bigotry by any definition.

God she's so stupid isn't she. Seriously fucking stupid.

Didn't Linehan threaten to sue someone who accused him of being a bigot, but then when confronted with the dictionary definition of bigot it's very difficult to argue he isn't one.

somersetchris

Quote from: C_Larence on May 25, 2022, 09:28:18 PMHe immediately segues that into another joke about women with penises though.

Ooh does he do a joke about identifying as a frying pan? That would be good, I don't think anyone has done that yet.

fancywookiee

As far as I can break this down:

Because of differences in qualifications and registrations overseas doctors aren't always able to work in the UK without passing additional qualifications.

A nurse practitioner is a senior (Band 7+) role which is very similar in terms of clinical seniority to a staff grade doctor. NPs can independently prescribe, consult and do surgical procedures. Very senior NPs are of a clinical experience level equivalent to consultants.

Also, a nurse uniform these days is scrubs. Almost all medical uniforms are scrubs. Scrubs are unisex.

Cold Meat Platter

"There's nothing more tedious than a reformed edgelord."

Horseshit. Unreformed middle age ones are far, far more tedious, see Gervais, Chappelle, Maher etc.

Poobum

Have never stopped to listen to the guy stood on a box telling everyone they were going to hell, ashamed of my bigotry. Really should hear him out.

jobotic

Edgelord Albini may have been but he made some amazing music. What have these pricks ever done?

And as if they'd have a single word to say about Gervais' "special" if it wasn't transphobic, meaning they have to pretend it's some great work instead of the shit it is.

JamesTC

What if Derek, Ralph and Father Ted all met and had a right old natter about feminism? Please do that @Glinner, Robert Galbraith, Elon Musk and Ricky Gervais. We all need comedy right now and this is literally the only way we can get it.

phantom_power

Quote from: C_Larence on May 25, 2022, 09:28:18 PMHe immediately segues that into another joke about women with penises though.

It would still be enough to put him on Graham's "list of people who are rape apologists and paedophiles" if he were anyone else

markburgle

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 25, 2022, 09:34:16 PM"There's nothing more tedious than a reformed edgelord."

Reformed edgelords give me hope for humanity

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: markburgle on May 25, 2022, 10:24:46 PMReformed edgelords give me hope for humanity

Exactly.

'Imagine learning from mistakes! How do you stay intellectually and emotionally stunted then?'

The Bumlord

somersetchris

Probably the most tedious thing I can imagine is seeing some celebrity over 50 trending on Twitter, clicking to look at it and seeing that it is yet another out of touch old fart complaining about cancel culture. I am so fucking sick of seeing people in no danger of being cancelled complaining about being cancelled.

One of the few joys in life is seeing someone trending for what you assume are awful reasons only for them to turn out to be a good egg. Finally, some good news.

Also, I would suggest that the Venn Diagram of 'People who like Ricky Gervais' and 'People who have any idea who Steve Albini is' must have an incredibly narrow overlap

Kankurette

The only people who are seriously affected by cancel culture are up-and-coming young adult fiction writers with serious people pleaser tendencies. Johnny Depp will be fine. Ricky Gervais will be fine. JK Rowling will be fine. None of them are in danger of tanking their careers.

I'll look forward to watching Shellac in Spain next week.
Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 25, 2022, 09:34:16 PM"There's nothing more tedious than a reformed edgelord."

Horseshit. Unreformed middle age ones are far, far more tedious, see Gervais, Chappelle, Maher etc.

Julie Burchill.

Cold Meat Platter

Kankurette

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Ayasakura on May 24, 2022, 04:24:34 PMI mean I am a big lefty queer neurodivergent woman who supports trans rights, so to Graham I AM a parody. The only thing I'm missing is the blue hair.
Pronouns in the bio.

(Edit: the synchronicity with the post above is 100% accidental, I'm still nine pages back in this bastard thread)

Rich Uncle Skeleton

ahh yes the trusty SLAM DUNK "pronouns in the bio" from a man whose bio is "i'm waiting to get my real account back :("

just loves projecting, are graham.

frajer

Of all the things he's (by his own actions) lost, what does he want back? His social media account.

And why does he want it back? To continue a campaign of bullying and harassment.

Desolinehan.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 26, 2022, 10:15:36 AM

https://twitter.com/CorryLReilly/status/1529536467952971783?t=VPO0tEKrdWpMMsNOiGc1wg&s=19

This reply to that tweet is intriguing:  Will never forget what happened at Nine Lessons and Carols with
@robinince
 and the behaviour of one of those towards all the other comedians and towards
@stevepretty
 and his band.
As ever
@markthomasinfo
 got one over the jerk.

Ex_GC

Quote from: frajer on May 26, 2022, 10:31:23 AMOf all the things he's (by his own actions) lost, what does he want back? His social media account.

And why does he want it back? To continue a campaign of bullying and harassment.

Desolinehan.

He put up a tweet recently that said something like "as much as I love hanging out here with you guys I miss telling celebrities to fuck off"

JaDanketies

It's not merely fighting The Trans Menace that is worth losing your family and career for - it's ineffectually fighting The Trans Menace by being abusive on social media.

I hate to point out the obvious, but let's assume that Graham could pull £500k p/a when he was a success, and he's pulling £100k p/a now - probably an underestimate and an overestimate. And he'd lose a percentage of that in tax too - probably <20% because it'd be dividends. Graham, what would be a better way to fight The Trans Menace - being a dick to celebrities such as Matt Lucas, or putting a cold hard circa £300k into the hands of lobbying groups?

You could buy Boris Johnson for less; Exonn just gives a couple of politicians a couple of quid and a bottle of whiskey, and they're destroying the planet! Graham could've alternatively bunged every Tory MP £1k every year to legislate against trans people instead, if he'd played his cards differently.

And he'd still have his family, his career and his reputation.

fancywookiee

Verified accounts and older ones are less likely to get reports going against them or any kind of sanctions. Plus unlike his socks they're less likely to be filtered into the "don't show low-quality replies."

Oh plus the 3 unread DMs which will surely be the evidence he needs to blow this whole thing wide open.

The Late Satoru Iwata

I prefer the Thin Lizzy recording of Pronouns in the Bio to the later Metallica version.