Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

bargains

Started by madhair60, May 26, 2022, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

can you tell me about times you got a BARGAIN. like in a charity or thrift shop you found something extremely valuable priced at next to nothing. i want to hear about your bargs, Alright cheers

retsuza

Had a quiche last night that was reduced from 20 euro to 50 cents. A whole quiche!

imitationleather

Found a fiver on the street

BARGAIN

Mr_Simnock

brother in law bought a silver jug for a tenner, sold at auction for 400

Yas man! My first cardiacs CD.

I'd been traipsing all over rifling through cardigans CDs getting progressively more desperate. I'd have given them 50 quid if they'd asked!

holdover

In the same charity shop -

New Mutants #98 (first appearance of Deadpool) paid 50p

Sold it on eBay for £140.

Set of 4 Le Creuset saucepans for £20.

And just after first lockdown in 2020 I found a box of DC Thomson annuals from the early 50's - Beano, Dandy, Broons and Oor Wullie. 50p a pop again.

non capisco

Really nice as-new Fender acoustic guitar worth about £200, bought in a chazzer in Crystal Palace for £30. Lost the inclination and seemingly the ability to write songs as soon as I bought it so it might be cursed.

Paul Calf

I found a Charles and Diana commemoration wedding plate on a flea market in 1996. The stall owner paid me £5000 to take it.

I later discovered that it was a rare Frankin Mint original and sold it to The British Museum for £100,000,000,000 and the title of King Of London and Best Man In Europe.

As I walked out of Sotheby's, everyone broke out in a spontaneous round of applause.

Paul Calf

Quote from: retsuza on May 26, 2022, 01:12:02 PMHad a quiche last night that was reduced from 20 euro to 50 cents. A whole quiche!

Where does a quiche cost 20 Euros? Do you live in Monaco?

My sister buys and sells clothes for a living and she got me this really nice berghaus coat for 30 quid, I was over the moon, it was like the guy hadn't even worn it! I'm still wearing it today.

Brian Freeze

Got a cracking hooded fleece in the chazzer for three quid and after wearing it for a few weeks thought it was so good Id look it up and think about buying another. Not for ninety quid I wont.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 26, 2022, 02:00:32 PMI found a Charles and Diana commemoration wedding plate on a flea market in 1996. The stall owner paid me £5000 to take it.

I later discovered that it was a rare Frankin Mint original and sold it to The British Museum for £100,000,000,000 and the title of King Of London and Best Man In Europe.

As I walked out of Sotheby's, everyone broke out in a spontaneous round of applause.

I saw an Andrew and Fergie wedding celebration 500 piece puzzle recently and instantly went on my phone to see if it was worth anything, and to my shock and dismay it was going for six quid on ebay, which is a truly horrible insult to our beloved prince.

Joe Qunt

Got a TR3, bought it for 1200, done it up, now it's worth three grand. New suspension, new engine, respray.

markburgle

Just bought a Specialized brand road bike. New it goes for up to £900, advertised at £75 but I knocked em down to £60 cos of wobbly pedals.

QDRPHNC

Boss suit, $40. I mean, Boss brand, not like "boss suit".

JaDanketies

Bought a nice coat from H&M for £50 (with a gift card). Later bumped into a friend who was wearing the same coat, he'd got it for a fiver in the chazza

Sebastian Cobb

Bought a Goldring Lenco GL75 transcription turntable for about 40 quid just before the vinyl revival kicked off, it came with a Shure V15 type III cartridge, boxed (mine isn't) the cartridges go for about 300 quid these and the decks seem to go for a fair whack more these days as well.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 26, 2022, 03:28:32 PMBoss suit, $40. I mean, Boss brand, not like "boss suit".

Yes but where are you going to wear it?

Captain Z

Bought a nice dressing gown (amongst some other stuff) from Dunelm a few years ago, on the shelf it was advertised as reduced from £16.99 to £12.99. I thought the final bill was a bit cheap, so checked the receipt and it had gone through at £2.99. Somebody had obviously missed out the 1 on the system. I was thinking of going back to get another, but the problem was that the error would be obvious if that's all I was buying, less so when you've got several other items.

shoulders

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Mad Men seasons 1-6 boxset, Cancer research UK shop, £3.99. Although that was 5 years ago and i still haven't actually watched it yet

shoulders

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on May 26, 2022, 03:48:17 PMMad Men seasons 1-6 boxset, Cancer research UK shop, £3.99. Although that was 5 years ago and i still haven't actually watched it yet

I wonder how much research into cancer that funded.

Norton Canes

Bought a pair of as-new Clark's desert boots for £40 in eBay, less than half price. Wore them once and they carved channels into my toes. Took them to nearest Clark's branch, told them they were a shit fit, said they were a present so no receipt, they gave me the full price as refund.

Admittedly that's not so much a bargain as fraud

Joe Qunt

On the frank skinner podcast I was listening to the other day, someone emailed in saying they bought a pair of jeans off ebay for 20 quid, and when they tried them on, there was 20 quid in the pocket! :D
Free jeans, baby!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 26, 2022, 04:02:34 PMOn the frank skinner podcast I was listening to the other day, someone emailed in saying they bought a pair of jeans off ebay for 20 quid, and when they tried them on, there was 20 quid in the pocket! :D
Free jeans, baby!

I wonder who got the power pack.

Haha, yeah, I remember that :D

PaulTMA

Found the 4 Scott Walker songs from 'Nite Flights' on a 7" EP in a house clearance shop otherwise full of dreck.  Also Jellyfish's 'Spilt Milk' original vinyl for £2, which goes for big bucks.  Punch the sky moments, I suppose

The Crumb

Got a brand new suit worth about £350 for £35 in a charity shop.

Same shop I got a massive trekking rucksack including a decently stocked first aid kit for £10.

mippy

Got a camera for £20 from a chazzer that sells for £250 ish on eBay, although part of me thinks that if I use it and accidentally, say, mash an ice cream into the workings, I'll regret not just selling it on.