Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaxberd

To paraphrase an old quote, I have never been able to find out precisely what trans activist ideology is: I only know that people call trans folk TRAs whenever they express sentiments that differentiate them from a doormat.

BritishHobo

Also if anybody could be accused of dogmatically pursuing a particular agenda to a level of irritation separate to the relative righteousness of it, it's Ricky Gervais and atheism.

JaDanketies

Telling people not to be trans (or even to describe their experiences and feelings using particular words) is surely limiting freedom of expression

I think the particularly bad freedom of expression limiting is saying "that thing you just said expresses hatred towards marginalised communities." Limiting free expression in other ways is okay, such as by saying "you are wrong about how you feel about yourself and should not pursue these thoughts further."

Pink Gregory

Don't worry, I'm sure Gervais dedicates a good amount of his gargantuan intellect to the issue and isn't, in fact, a hack who thinks be has wisdom to impart to people he knows nothing about.

Poobum

So he's a typical lib. If he was around in the 60s he'd be on stage going on about pinkos, black panthers, and how Malcolm X needs to more civil.

Barry Admin

This is always worth another watch:

phes

He never recovered from that and spent the rest of his career doing softball interviews with The Radio Times

bgmnts

Quote from: Shaxberd on May 26, 2022, 01:59:09 PMTo paraphrase an old quote, I have never been able to find out precisely what trans activist ideology is: I only know that people call trans folk TRAs whenever they express sentiments that differentiate them from a doormat.

You'd never use that as a stick to beat someone with just the term human rights would? Considering trans people are human, it's an odd thing.

Fucking human right's activists.

g0m

Quote from: Shaxberd on May 26, 2022, 01:59:09 PMTo paraphrase an old quote, I have never been able to find out precisely what trans activist ideology is: I only know that people call trans folk TRAs whenever they express sentiments that differentiate them from a doormat.

it's when trans people get "uppity"

Blue Jam

TRAs are like woke comedy: they only exist in the minds of TERFs, just as woke comedy only exists in the minds of bigots.

I've been called a TRA before. That's a laugh. I'm too lazy to be an activist of any kind.

JaDanketies

Terfs think they're activists by being shitheads on Twitter though; a social media post is like gluing yourself to your MP's face to these guys

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 26, 2022, 05:53:46 PMTerfs think they're activists by being shitheads on Twitter

And buying merch, don't forget buying merch.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 26, 2022, 05:56:39 PMAnd buying merch, don't forget buying merch.

That's more than MRAs do tbf

Noodle Lizard

They have it front and center on Netflix at the moment (must be slow season), so it autoplays a selected clip whenever I log on.

He's talking about atheism. Like, the same talking points that were exhausted not long after Dawkins hit the scene. Powerful stuff.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 26, 2022, 11:29:48 AMRicky did The Dance at Live 8 but this is the worst one where he is genuinely shitting himself about filling up 5 minutes

Christ, that's the gift that still keeps giving. Every time he thinks he's got away with it, he has to degrade himself again. Excruciating. But he's a multi millionaire and I'm not, so WHO WINS!!!??

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 01:00:10 PMAt the risk of setting myself up for a fall.... (as I feel, especially given that sarcastic comment by Famous Mortimer, that I am being judged and will be shot down whatever answer I give)

Jimmy Carr, Stewart Francis, Anthony Jeselnik for stand up.
Extras, Bottom, The Inbetweeners for comedy shows.

Gervais is like Jeselnik without the material, craft, editing and hard work. Oh and I don't think Jeselnik mentions how fabulously rich he is every single show.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 26, 2022, 06:51:11 PMThey have it front and center on Netflix at the moment (must be slow season), so it autoplays a selected clip whenever I log on.

You can turn that off you know. Netflix, I mean.

phes

Steal all that shit and donate ten quid a month to something that needs it. I am a grown up

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 26, 2022, 11:29:48 AMRicky did The Dance at Live 8 but this is the worst one where he is genuinely shitting himself about filling up 5 minutes

To be fair, I think he did alright enough there for the most part. Granted, an iconoclastic anti-celeb like him had no business being there in the first place, but having to unexpectedly fill 5 minutes by yourself on live TV in front of a huge live audience including the Royal family and er ... P. Diddy is probably a bit fucking nerve-wracking.

The Dance is obviously a bit humiliating, but he knew the audience would go wild for it and they did, sure enough. The worst bit is him doing that "Pug-Nosed Face" Bowie song from Extras, which is far less iconic and, in 2007, had barely even aired yet. That bit's rough.

idunnosomename

honestly I reckon a proper stand-up should always have best part of 10 minutes worth of stuff to riff on if everything goes belly-up. Just something about the venue, the night, etc. Well he has that piss-weak global-warming/eskimo stuff. The quid bit is good though, but the problem is he tries to talk over the cheer instead of playing it up and then really spinning out for the punchline. he plays the crowd a little bit more in the song, but by then it's into total cringe territory.

JamesTC

My dream is that Gervais becomes the new Boycie. Being dragged all around and just being told to do his dance.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

poodlefaker

with his Asda pack-of-three black t-shirt and his jeans and sheaux, it's like a nightmare: on stage in front of a global audience with no material and your worst clothes on. Mackenzie at least knew the basics: wear a suit and get off asap.

Pimhole

http://londonfeministnetwork.org.uk/what-weve-done/letter-writing-campaigns/sexist-jokes-are-not-ok-mr-gervais

QuoteAn LFN member attended a humanist event just before Christmas 2008 (http://newhumanist.org.uk/1917). Ricky Gervais was one of the acts and told 'jokes' about an 8 year old girl being sexually abused; first by a stranger, then by her father. He also 'joked' about raping an elderly lady, saying that it was ok because he didn't kill her – he just raped her.

As feminists we need to make it clear to Ricky Gervais and to all comedians that this is not OK. It condones and normalises male violence against women and children.

Cor. Remember when feminism used to include holding men to account for sexism, eh? Those were the days.

I wonder how many of those letters Ince received.

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 11:18:02 AMI'm quite new to this website, so I was expecting loads of people saying how funny the stand up show was, with perhaps one or two people calling it rubbish. I was very surprised to see it's the other way around! I don't think I've ever seen a discussion that's just 99% of people saying how much they didn't enjoy it, or how much they dislike Ricky Gervais.

Is there another discussion thread on here for people who actually did find it funny? Because I did.

Thanks.

I liked the first half, but the second meandered about a bit and rehashed old ground - atheism, hitler.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Pimhole on May 26, 2022, 10:27:24 PMhttp://londonfeministnetwork.org.uk/what-weve-done/letter-writing-campaigns/sexist-jokes-are-not-ok-mr-gervais

Cor. Remember when feminism used to include holding men to account for sexism, eh? Those were the days.

I wonder how many of those letters Ince received.

I've said it before, but I find it fascinating how Gervais aligns himself with humanism and atheism, pushes himself as compassionate, seeing the beauty of the world independent of intelligent design - and yet everything he says and does is entirely motivated by ugly cynicism. Even stuff like Derek and After Life which purport to be about kindness and joy and the wonders of life are actually just bizarre screeds full of anger about greedy snorting obnoxious cunts getting in his way - interspersed with weird crassness about nonces and fucking fat people and old women's fannies being gross and bodies being weird and people getting embroiled in disgusting and embarassing sexual acts. He could create any fictional world he wants; like Detectorists, he could show the wonder in simple pleasures. Instead he builds these weird, sleazy little worlds. And then packs his stand-up full of judgement and obsessive ridicule of anyone different to him.

BritishHobo

Robin Ince has written a blog-post in which he calls Gervais "a pin up and role model for the alt right":

https://cosmicshambles.com/words/blogs/robinince/a-waste-of-offence

The most interesting part to me is that he and Gervais have regular discussions arguing about the subjects of Gervais' jokes. So he is being pulled up by friends on the hollowness of that defence he always trots out.

RicoMNKN

TalkTV have started a Twitter pile on to Robin Ince with a poll.

QuoteComedian Robin Ince says Ricky Gervais has become "a pin up and role model for the alt-right" following his controversial Netflix special. Do you agree?

https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1529825668598362115

The comments are full of people who think they're centrists but follow lots of far right blowhards (and indeed watch TalkTV), thus proving Robin's position entirely.