Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rowan Atkinson: Man VS Bee

Started by TheMonk, January 05, 2021, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

from wikipedia

QuoteStuart Jeffries of The Guardian gave the series three stars out of five, praised Atkinson's performance, but criticised the lack of characteriation for the Bee and abundence of product placement.[8]

Video Game Fan 2000

TheMonk

Before watching a second of it, I read a googled review from The Independent (I think) that compeletely gave the reveals in the last episode away for no apparent reason. It's hardly supposed to be Poirot but I was furious. What sort of critic does that?

idunnosomename

I found it and it does say *spoiler warning* in the header.

Spoiler alert
mf said "replicas and flakes"
[close]

Replies From View

Quote from: TheMonk on June 26, 2022, 12:20:16 PMBefore watching a second of it, I read a googled review from The Independent (I think) that compeletely gave the reveals in the last episode away for no apparent reason. It's hardly supposed to be Poirot but I was furious. What sort of critic does that?

Barry Norman in every episode of Film 92 or whatever year it was.

I'm not joking.  I have been watching a lot of Film 92 lately and to be honest kind of begrudge them replacing it with Film 93 a year later.  It was good apart from Barry Norman thinking that review means give a plot summary including the end scene.

SteveDave

I started watching this but gave up after 3 episodes when my son sighed and said, "Just leave the bee alone" and then we watched "Dead End" an animated series set in an amusement park that's got demons instead.

Utter Shit

Really enjoying this so far, the bit where the bee slowly moved the glass it was trapped under had me dying laughing.

Mobius

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 27, 2022, 10:17:13 AMthe bit where the bee slowly moved the glass it was trapped under had me dying laughing.

Could a bee really do that? I know it's a stupid show anyway, but for some reason this bit pissed me off.

Jittlebags

They should have had a wasp. Everyone hates those stripey fuckers.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Mobius on June 27, 2022, 10:59:58 PMCould a bee really do that? I know it's a stupid show anyway, but for some reason this bit pissed me off.

Maybe it was a plastic glass?

Mobius

I wondered that but would those posh wankers have a rubbish plastic cup and even so how strong is this bee.

Show jumped the shark for me there. Shame

Replies From View

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 28, 2022, 12:22:53 AMThey should have had a wasp. Everyone hates those stripey fuckers.

Agreed.  Everyone knows bumblebees are lovely and anyone who goes after them is fucked in the head.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mobius on June 28, 2022, 12:44:30 AMI wondered that but would those posh wankers have a rubbish plastic cup and even so how strong is this bee.

Show jumped the shark for me there. Shame

Meanwhile a wooden and paper thing on a massive flame wasn't catching fire until the exact right dramatic moment.

Watched a load of original Bean with my six-year-old recently. It's (mostly) aged well, nicely paced, surprisingly logical and ultimately pretty funny. This bee thing is the opposite.

Who is it for? My daughter enjoyed the first few, tolerated the rest and then was left confused by the ending because, like most six-year-olds,
Spoiler alert
she doesn't understand what insurance fraud is.
[close]

Utter Shit

Possibly needs a separate thread, but yeah Mr. Bean is still fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIdpfT_BQG8

This clip has me in hysterics every time. The way it builds up from fun to violence so quickly, Bean's crazed excitement, the fear in the headmaster's face, the offhand throw as he's being stopped by the security guard, the surprise of him coming back on screen with a chair, the sheer pointless fucking MALEVOLENCE of it all. Brilliant.

jenna appleseed

Is this a live action remake of that episode of the stop motion Paddington where he learns classical music then spends ages trying to hit a bee to the sound of Flight Of The Bumblebees?

wrec

Quote from: TheMonk on June 26, 2022, 12:20:16 PMBefore watching a second of it, I read a googled review from The Independent (I think) that compeletely gave the reveals in the last episode away for no apparent reason. It's hardly supposed to be Poirot but I was furious. What sort of critic does that?

Looked that up and while I'm not going to watch it I did get a kick out of the sheer inexplicable gall of the detailed spoiler.

Stigdu

Gave up a few minutes into episode 2. Watched it with the kids and they were fairly bored after 5 minutes. The continuity error of him blowing the head off the statuette with a hair dryer in Episode 1 when you can see another head is still on it, bugged me.

Utter Shit

I just went and rewatched that bit because I'm a bastard for a continuity error, but (unless you're talking about a different bit?) I don't think there is one - it's just a weird coincidence that the close-up shot of the decapitated body looks uncannily like a head.

Forgive the poor quality of the images, Netflix somehow doesn't allow you to screenshot so I took photos on my phone.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Replies From View on June 28, 2022, 07:48:18 AMMeanwhile a wooden and paper thing on a massive flame wasn't catching fire until the exact right dramatic moment.

Without even a hint of a whiff of smouldering to tickle his nostrils? Fuck off.

Stigdu

I'll have another look this evening when I'm back from work.

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 29, 2022, 09:55:05 AMI'll have another look this evening when I'm back from work.

THIS IS WHAT NETFLIX WANTS TO HAPPEN

Lemming

Finished it tonight. The ending was just weird (maybe as a result of it being a film that's been cut up?). The first couple episodes were promising but after that it was tonally weird. Everything with his daughter and ex-wife calling was a waste of time, except the joke of him trying to pretend the call dropped out. It would have actually been a better series if the bee just wasn't there and it was instead just about him destroying the house through constantly fucking basic shit up and making disastrous attempts to fix it.

The first two episodes where everything he touches breaks were funny, everything after that (extended burglar scene, sobbing after destroying the car, etc) was sort of a drag. The finale of the bee house exploding and crushing the dog was pretty good but it should have been a constant slow build of him fucking everything up worse and worse until the inevitable explosive finale. This kind of concept needs a snowball effect where the protagonist's fuckups compile on top of other fuckups until everything becomes irretrievable, but here the momentum just keeps dropping to zero.

Having said that, the slowmo shot of Rowan Atkinson's face being thrust into dog shit was one of the best moments in cinema history.

I think that's an absolutely spot on summary of what's wrong (and right) with it, Lemming.

The dog shit scene was quite something, eh?

Stigdu

I just double checked and there's definitely a continuity error when he uses the hair drier on the statuette. Long shot - head flies off. Close-up - head is back on again.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Stigdu on June 29, 2022, 09:27:45 PMI just double checked and there's definitely a continuity error when he uses the hair drier on the statuette. Long shot - head flies off. Close-up - head is back on again.

Nah, I thin  Utter Shit's screen shots explain it - the torso looks like a head, and the waist is noticeably wider than the neck. You'll need to provide screen shots to convince me.

Stigdu

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 30, 2022, 10:51:11 AMNah, I thin  Utter Shit's screen shots explain it - the torso looks like a head, and the waist is noticeably wider than the neck. You'll need to provide screen shots to convince me.

Do you know what? I think you're right! That torso does look like a head. Carry on...

Replies From View

Replies From View

The hairdryer wouldn't blow the head so fiercely.  I can tell when something has been tugged by a wire, you cunts.

Armed Traffic Warden

Yeah. Contains enjoyable moments but it's overall unsatisfying. I feel his family added a wholly unnecessary and distracting dimension to his character that was at odds with the farce playing out.
  Maybe they could have made the relationships much more rocky and last-chancy to heighten the tension as it went on? I feel that may have been the intent but I didn't really sense it in a tangible way. The performances in those segments were too straight and didn't carry a threat.
  It also sets us up to want him to stop being a fuck up so he can be a good father but then the last scene shits over that so I don't really know how I'm supposed to feel about any of it. Is he the villain of the piece? I'm sure many students will study that very question in GCSE English in a years time.

TL/DR
I'd have left the family side story out or made more effort to make it work.