Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Greybum Muchtransanger - the continuing TERFery of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, June 03, 2022, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Ferris on July 02, 2022, 01:54:15 PMWhat the fuck is she going to do with fifty grand?
Cocaine

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on July 02, 2022, 03:54:46 PMJust catching up with the last few Father Ted hostage videos and I found myself wondering, is Father Ted even really this landmark cultural phenomenon Graham seems to think it is?

I remember watching it a little as a kid and people my age quoting it a lot in high school, I know people remember it and it's beloved by comedy fans, but looking over Graham's work if I were to pick a show based on its broadest appeal, to be his pension musical, it'd be The IT Crowd, right? That's the show I remember *everyone* watched. This isn't intended to be a criticism of Ted itself, but it was a 90s Channel 4 comedy fan's show, surely, not a Blackadder, Men Behaving Badly or The Royle Family? It's like Edgar Wright putting all his dice on a Spaced musical.

Someone correct me if I'm way off, Ted was a *little* before my time, I didn't really watch it until my teens in the 2000s.
It's more of a cultural touchstone in Ireland, coming at a time when the awe in which the Catholic Church was held by society and government was starting to decline. A Father Ted musical would probably do quite well in the Gaiety Theatre. The West End? I dunno.

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 02, 2022, 04:11:11 PMA Father Ted musical would probably do quite well in the Gaiety Theatre. The West End? I dunno.

That makes sense, I wonder why he hasn't attempted a pivot to Irish nationalism grift yet?

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on July 02, 2022, 04:14:05 PMThat makes sense, I wonder why he hasn't attempted a pivot to Irish nationalism grift yet?
Ireland doesn't have the level of vocal TERFery in the media that the UK has. We passed the Gender Recognition Act in 2015 and when we wrote gay marriage into the Constitution (meaning no government can ever outlaw it without a referendum) that made it possible for trans folk to get married regardless of their legal gender or that of their partner. Now don't get me wrong, trans health care services and waiting lists are still appalling but our Taoiseach said "trans acceptance now" last week so we're well and truly captured.

Ferris

Imagine being so oppressed it takes you all morning to magic 20 grand out the air.

QuoteThe response has been tremendous, and I am so delighted that this case can go ahead, thanks to you.

The "case" of... writing a letter?

QuoteAny surplus monies left over from the case will go directly to working-class women's organisations in Nottingham

A tacit acknowledgement that this "stretch goal" is unnecessary so why raise more than you need?

Quote...although such cases can be very time consuming and costly.

Ah. Don't expect a big donation at the end then. Letter-writing doesn't come cheap, apparently.

HamishMacbeth

Just noticed Graham Oliophi is defending gay people again.

Ferris

And to add - how is graham so incompetent at this?

This crowdfunder raised a load of money that will find its way to a friendly law firm in hours. Glinner is sitting in a bedsit complaining that his pensions gone kaput.

Quote from: Ferris on July 02, 2022, 04:26:33 PMAnd to add - how is graham so incompetent at this?

This crowdfunder raised a load of money that will find its way to a friendly law firm in hours. Glinner is sitting in a bedsit complaining that his pensions gone kaput.
He is so bad at grifting it's unbelievable.

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Ferris on July 02, 2022, 04:26:33 PMAnd to add - how is graham so incompetent at this?

I can't get over this pension phrasing. There's layers of weirdness to it. Firstly, the guy's clearly doing fine, secondly, it'd be really dumb to make "successful west end musical" your pension plan, and thirdly, the guy's been a successful TV writer since he was 20, of course he has investments and shit so why's he saying it, sympathy? Who's left to feel sorry for him that isn't now on the crowdfunder circuit too?

Is he just too proud to say "the Father Ted musical is my divorce expenses"?

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 02, 2022, 04:29:41 PMHe is so bad at grifting it's unbelievable.

He seems to be very unaware how transparent he is.

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 02, 2022, 04:07:00 PMNo.

I love Ted (as much as I cringe when I see Linehan's name - and face in that one episode Flight Into Terror - in the credits) but I agree here, it's very niche. I made a Ted joke on Tumblr and I noted most people wouldn't know where it came from. I wouldn't need to do that with  , say, a Friends quote because people would know it on sight. There are shows and films that are endlessly referenced and quoted ("nobody puts baby in a corner" "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the banana villain"). Ted isn't one of them.

A few years ago I went to see the Dirty Dancing musical. It was so much fun, a lot better than I expected. You know all the famous quotes and scenes from film, and it was great reliving them live.

At the top of their game I could see Mathews and Linehan producing a fun show, but it would never be a success like the Dirty Dancing show. Nowadays, Linehan writes and rants transphobic rubbish and idk what Mathews is up to. Putting all his chips, so to speak, on this musical of dubious existence (I believe Graham's insistence it's written and ready to go as much as I believe that money was resting in Ted's account) is absolutely boneheaded.

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Mindy Simmons on July 02, 2022, 04:33:01 PMThere are shows and films that are endlessly referenced and quoted ("nobody puts baby in a corner" "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the banana villain"). Ted isn't one of them.

This is definitely how I was feeling. I remember a time when it was quoted a lot, but today you'll get a lot more traction out of "have you tried switching it on and off again" than "go on, go on, go on, go on, go on" or even small and far away.

frajer

Can't say anything these days.

Used to be able to say a thing but not these days.

Tape on my mouth because I am not allowed to say a thing, not these days.

(Can I have 5 grand please.)

HamishMacbeth

They certainly do recruit all the intellectual heavyweights.

wrec

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on July 02, 2022, 03:54:46 PMI know people remember it and it's beloved by comedy fans, but looking over Graham's work if I were to pick a show based on its broadest appeal, to be his pension musical, it'd be The IT Crowd, right? That's the show I remember *everyone* watched.

I don't know if it's a factor but one difference is the main cast of The IT Crowd are all still alive. None of them would be likely to do it and if pressed would probably distance themselves from their bananas former colleague (or their creator, in his eyes).

Dr Rock

RicoMNKN

Has tape over the mouth ever been used as an image by someone who isn't just a massive bigot?  I'm reminded of the Free Tommeh campaign where all the fash did it.

I guess if you actually cared about an issue to do with free speech, you'd focus on the message rather than your own ego.

wrec

Citation needed on people closing their Halifax accounts. If I was offended by the pronoun badges to the point that I'd want to close an account, I'd be worried that my new bank would do something similarly offensively WOKE, rendering the whole exercise pointless.

HamishMacbeth

Has this come up in a thread before? I just googled this up while looking for something else, but in March last year Graham plagiarised a twenty minute transcription and whacked it on his blog and the author is one of the nuts at Ovarit and pretty clearly did not give permission.

This post is still up, obvs, here: https://grahamlinehan.substack.com/p/a-mothers-defiance

Dr Rock

Quote from: RicoMNKN on July 02, 2022, 05:02:38 PMHas tape over the mouth ever been used as an image by someone who isn't just a massive bigot? 

Dr Rock

Quote from: wrec on July 02, 2022, 05:07:29 PMCitation needed on people closing their Halifax accounts. If I was offended by the pronoun badges to the point that I'd want to close an account, I'd be worried that my new bank would do something similarly offensively WOKE, rendering the whole exercise pointless.

I genuinely closed my Halifax account because all the tv ads were so annoying.

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 02, 2022, 05:11:08 PMI genuinely closed my Halifax account because all the tv ads were so annoying.

Somewhere out there is a terf who has just discovered they can't close down their Halifax account because they went into their overdraft donating to Bindel's new pool table.

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on July 02, 2022, 04:54:54 PMThey certainly do recruit all the intellectual heavyweights.

For "customers" there, read "12 dipshits on Twitter".

wrec

Quote from: RicoMNKN on July 02, 2022, 05:02:38 PMHas tape over the mouth ever been used as an image by someone who isn't just a massive bigot? 

Everyone's at it!

grainger

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 02, 2022, 11:49:07 AMI saw them claiming that Stephen King has changed his mind too, based on him expressing interest in an upcoming Rowling book.

Well, it sounds like he might have changed his mind about what constitutes good writing, at least.

somersetchris

Rage Against the Machine did, in protest against the PMRC. Wnkies out, as well!

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on July 02, 2022, 04:38:15 PMThis is definitely how I was feeling. I remember a time when it was quoted a lot, but today you'll get a lot more traction out of "have you tried switching it on and off again" than "go on, go on, go on, go on, go on" or even small and far away.

Indeed. The only Ted quotes I've seen floating around recently (that weren't related to whatever Linehan is embarrassing himself with today) is "it was just resting in my account". As you said, IT Crowd was much bigger amongst the general public and those quotes would be easily recognised.

tomasrojo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 02, 2022, 04:11:11 PMCocaine
It's more of a cultural touchstone in Ireland, coming at a time when the awe in which the Catholic Church was held by society and government was starting to decline. A Father Ted musical would probably do quite well in the Gaiety Theatre. The West End? I dunno.

Yeah, it's a big deal in Ireland. It's quoted and referenced often on social media and everyday life. It does capture some aspects of life in Ireland astutely, or at least recognisably.

Some parts of it probably just seem like random quasi-surreality outside Ireland are referencing quite specific things.

king_tubby

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 02, 2022, 05:44:41 PMJOB does his JOB thing on the Halifax thing well

What? I thought he was London Fascist FM's token woke?

Dr Rock

Quote from: tomasrojo on July 02, 2022, 07:03:52 PMYeah, it's a big deal in Ireland. It's quoted and referenced often on social media and everyday life. It does capture some aspects of life in Ireland astutely, or at least recognisably.

Some parts of it probably just seem like random quasi-surreality outside Ireland are referencing quite specific things.

Glinner thinks it should be in the West End like JK Rowling doesn't he?