Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Possible to add smilies on this forum?

Started by Stigdu, July 06, 2022, 03:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Stigdu on July 06, 2022, 05:11:40 PMI mean, so you can see the numbers of people who 'agree', 'like' your posts, or to get in the spirit of this forum, 'think you're a bit of a c**t' rather than just putting smilies in the text.

Oh, god no. They're horrible.
You still get bullying and people being singled out without it, I see that on here, but it makes it a bit less easy for bystanders to get sucked into it all.

You're alright, stigdu, I think a lot of people were genuinely surprised that someone who seemed otherwise switched on, would genuinely rate Gervais' current output. Don't let any of that define you or change how you act on here. Just keep being yourself.

Zero Gravitas

Oh is this a reassurance thread!?

Stigdu you seem like a completely average bloke.

Kankurette

If I wanted that shit I'd go on Facebook.

RetroRobot

Armed Traffic Warden

I sometimes smile and so does my wife; should I stop posting?

Crenners

Quote from: Kankurette on July 06, 2022, 06:19:24 PMIf I wanted that shit I'd go on Facebook.

If I wanted to hear about football Twitter and Mumsnet...

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Crenners on July 06, 2022, 06:24:01 PMIf I wanted to hear about football Twitter and Mumsnet...

Crenners ☹️

BritishHobo

Yeah you don't want a rating system. Positive karma was a lovely thing, but any forum feature that gives you some form of input on other people's posts is destined for badness.

JamesTC

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 06, 2022, 06:32:32 PMYeah you don't want a rating system. Positive karma was a lovely thing, but any forum feature that gives you some form of input on other people's posts is destined for badness.

+1

TrenterPercenter

bgmnts

What does anyone here have to smile about?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2022, 06:37:56 PMWhat does anyone here have to smile about?

The fact that we are all sleeping on top of piles of money with many beautiful ladies (and/or men).

Stigdu

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on July 06, 2022, 06:06:15 PMOh is this a reassurance thread!?

Stigdu you seem like a completely average bloke.

Haha, no, no not at all. I am a completely average bloke though, so thanks for the reassurance. *thumbsup*

So it's pretty much a wholly big round 'NO!' then. Cheers, boys and girls!

bgmnts

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 06, 2022, 06:42:20 PMThe fact that we are all sleeping on top of piles of money with many beautiful ladies (and/or men).

Bit shallow. Now if you were sleeping on top of piles of world peace i'd say that's worth a chekky smiley.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Stigdu on July 06, 2022, 03:00:35 PMI wondered whether it was possible to have smilies so people can like, LOL, sad face etc. Or is that not possible/too time consuming with the forum software?

It's always abusable, is the thing.
Even if you just have upvotes, someone could go "x, I think you're the biggest cunt on here" and then everyone upvotes that and drives some poor sap off the forum.

Although it's nice to get a pat on the back and reassurance, it's the sort of thing that ends up becoming an empty gesture and people tend to crave more of it and end up changing how they act and what they say just to fit in and chime with the general consensus.

It's exactly what you don't want on a discussion forum.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 06, 2022, 07:27:09 PMIt's always abusable, is the thing.
Even if you just have upvotes, someone could go "x, I think you're the biggest cunt on here" and then everyone upvotes that and drives some poor sap off the forum.

Although it's nice to get a pat on the back and reassurance, it's the sort of thing that ends up becoming an empty gesture and people tend to crave more of it and end up changing how they act and what they say just to fit in and chime with the general consensus.

It's exactly what you don't want on a discussion forum.

Sounds like someone wasn't happy with their karma score.

Haha :D I wasn't here during that period, but I've seen it on other forums. There was this big drama on this gaming forum I go to where one guy got banned because he became so thoroughly obsessed by it, he was PM'ing his friends saying "I'm gonna be the karma king!" and he was trying to bully his big rival and smear her name and stuff so people upvoted her less.

He was staying up at night scouring reddit and posting all the "funny" pictures he could find because they usually got the biggest amount of upvotes for the amount of effort.

Imagine that being your life! He was top of the karma pops when he finally got fucked off so I'm hoping he left with a big smile on his face.

touchingcloth

Are people still handing out botty tugs for particularly excellent posts?

Mobius

Sounds like the sort of thing a Ricky Gervais fan would think is a good idea

Midas

Likes, points, and karma are tools used by nightmare entities to integrate methods of emotional manipulation onto their websites to aid their business models. This gammonification gamification apparatus can be harmful when discussing topics that require nuance and depth, and risks reducing the impetus for many to write honest, considered responses if the mirage of a virtual mass consensus has become established.

Aye, that's it. I was trying to say that.
Who's that chunky hippy dreadlocks tech guy who's all against social media? He does good talks on that sort of thing.
Ah, Jaron Lanier, that's him!

Buelligan

Yeah, it came to me just at the end there :D Thank you.

GoblinAhFuckScary

touchingcloth

I've never seen Game of Throne, but isn't Jarion Lanier from that?

Kelvin

You can tell the tone of my posts just by looking at my avatar.

JamesTC

Quote from: Kelvin on July 06, 2022, 09:54:28 PMYou can tell the tone of my posts just by looking at my avatar.

Me too.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on July 06, 2022, 09:51:02 PMB A I T

Aw, we have to give people the benefit of the doubt.
What's the worst that can happen? You'll look a bit gullible. It's no big thing.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2022, 06:45:51 PMBit shallow. Now if you were sleeping on top of piles of world peace i'd say that's worth a chekky smiley.

It was shallow.  You are ace bgmnts : ) been feeling bad about falling out yesterday (I was being a prick, as I do, was also feeling like I was being treated like a prick also though)