Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:14:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clerks 3 is here I guess

Started by BJBMK2, July 06, 2022, 06:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetPomPom

Quote from: BJBMK2 on July 06, 2022, 09:41:56 PMWhat's the script with Scott Mosier? Did they fall out?

Scott's a producer/exec producer who managed all the View Askew stuff up to Zack and Miri (ish, can't remember already!). But if you listen to all the commentaries up to that point he was very clearly the grown up on the team and was responsible for a lot of quality control (and being funny properly).
Same time Smith got into skunk and fleshlights, Mosier decided to broaden his range and went elsewhere - mainly animation.

BJBMK2

I know who he is, I just wasen't sure if there was some backstage fracas/drama, that led to him leaving the producing role, and the Smodcasts. Like you suggest, it was probably just a case of one outgrowing the other.

Does he still call them Smodcasts?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 06, 2022, 10:17:01 PMI've been to two of those in the last 8 years or so. In my defence I don't live in America so it's a rarity to see him live and also I wasn't expecting Babble On as it's not my favourite format at all. I would have much preferred just him doing his spoken word bit, but it seems he's all but retired that.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply I was completely above it myself. I paid good money to see him do that podcast with his wife in London (Plus One, was it?) and saw Hollywood Babble-On at least two or three times when I first moved out here. I bought the DVD of Jay & Silent Bob Get Old: Live at a specific shop because it granted you a free ticket to some informal speaking event with the two of them (which lasted the better part of 3 hours). I even went down to buy the Tusk-branded weed from him when he appeared at some local dispensary, despite not really being a weed-smoker.

Years later, I used to see him fairly often wandering in and out of the office tower I worked in when he was trying to get "Hollyweed" off the ground, to the point where it became sort of a banality, but I'd not been particularly excited by anything he'd done in a good long while. I haven't listened to any of his podcasts for at least five years, nor do I bother keeping up with whatever project he's claiming he may or may not do, but he was obviously important enough to me that I'll still watch whatever film he does manage to put out. Against my better judgment, perhaps. Yoga Hosers is objectively one of the worst films ever made.

sevendaughters

I was 100% out after a bored rewatch of J&SBReboot. Just so inept and depressing.

sutin

The Jay & Silent Bob Live In Ireland DVD angered me so much when they kept going on about Liam Neeson being from Dublin, when he's actually from (my hometown) Ballymena in Northern Ireland. I'm no fucking loyalist but for the love of Christ at least get what country he's from right, especially when getting it wrong could offend a lot of people, and scary violent people at that. Morons.

BritishHobo

I didn't actually mind Reboot, in the sense that it was the most self-indulgent film I've ever seen in my life, to the extent I just thought "yeah, go for it, why not". Makes Community at its worst seem tame in terms of, as that show self-referentially says, being meta and shoving everything they do up its own ass. As a mad stupid celebration in everything in his career, have at it.

So on one hand I'm not against this, and I would be happy to see Dante and Randal again. But if it is basically doing the same thing as Reboot, it will feel odd. Clerks is its own thing, it doesn't need all the cameos and references of a Jay and Silent Bob film.

As Noodle Lizard says, it also seems weird for Randal to become a Smith stand-in. Especially as Smith making Clerks (as they will do in this) doesn't have anything to do with his heart attack; it would make more sense if Randal had made it at the end of the first film. It's what they say about second albums or novels, isn't it? That the first is often drawn from the struggles the artist has faced through their life, living in poverty, working shitty dead-end jobs, and so on. And then it hits big, and the second project is drawn from the experience of being a rich and successful artist. I know this is far from the second project, but still.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 06, 2022, 11:02:39 PMI haven't listened to any of his podcasts for at least five years

It's a very diluted pool these days. He has to be doing at least two or three podcasts a week on top of appearing on other podcasts, doing interviews, showing up at conventions and all manner of appearances. Even the most hardcore fan would be hard pressed to keep up with it.

I tend to dip in every now and again. Maybe once a year I'll search his name on youtube and if the format suits me I'll have a look. But the novelty of An Evening or A Threevening has well an truly worn off. His last DVD Silent But Deadly was his worst. How can you have a decent hour of material while doing 200 podcasts a year?

Noodle Lizard

I think the first "Evening With" was what really made me pay attention to him as a person in the first place. It's mad how much more mature and restrained he was 20 years ago compared to the self-aggrandizing stoner we're treated to now, and it was (at the time) something of a novelty for someone on the fringes of Hollywood to come out and expose some of its weirder machinations. The Prince and Tim Burton/Superman anecdotes are fantastic to this day, and I liked that he was relatively self-deprecating and downplayed his own work when he was clearly a talented writer who was curating his own audience through a distinctive brand of filmmaking. If you haven't already, read the screenplay for Clerks - it's exceptional for an inexperienced writer in their early 20s.

It all went to shit, of course. As has been said, there was a brief moment with Red State where we wondered if he might do something good. But nah. Tusk and Yoga Hosers, next.

JamesTC

I honestly think he mostly lost it when he started smoking weed. It was during Zack and Miri when he started, IIRC.

sutin

Quote from: JamesTC on July 07, 2022, 12:21:31 AMI honestly think he mostly lost it when he started smoking weed. It was during Zack and Miri when he started, IIRC.

I think that's the general consensus. That would make Red State an absolute fluke.

13 schoolyards

At the time Red State felt like Smith had realised (or been told) that the only way he was going to keep on having a movie career was if he pulled his finger out and actually made a decent film. Which he pretty much did.

I suspect what happened next was that it didn't do well enough to put him on easy street and faced with the choice of either working hard to make decent films that would just do ok at best or pandering to his stoner fanbase for easy money, he went for option B.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 06, 2022, 11:48:23 PMIf you haven't already, read the screenplay for Clerks - it's exceptional for an inexperienced writer in their early 20s.

I remember reading it not long after it was published and (as an aspiring writer of roughly the age he was when he wrote it) coming away depressed because he was clearly a much better writer than I was. Then I went back to it a decade or so later and realised that while he was a solid prose stylist - even his shittest films usually have decent dialogue - he wasn't saying anything interesting about anything. Which I'd kind of realised with whatever the hell happened at the end of Chasing Amy.

Good thing he's stayed funny though oh hang on.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: BJBMK2 on July 06, 2022, 10:45:25 PMI know who he is, I just wasen't sure if there was some backstage fracas/drama, that led to him leaving the producing role, and the Smodcasts. Like you suggest, it was probably just a case of one outgrowing the other.

Does he still call them Smodcasts?

I don't think there was a falling out or anything. They're still friends and when Scott gets a free five minutes he still pops back for the occasional podcast.

It's just Scott's career outside of Kevin Smith really started taking off and he became incredibly busy.

Smith showed up to the premiere of The Grinch and it seems everyone is still mates.

Jim_MacLaine

90 minutes of fan service. Nah.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 07, 2022, 07:32:01 AMSmith showed up to the premiere of The Grinch and it seems everyone is still mates.

Does Smith still turn up at the premiere for everything he can get am invite to so he can flip it into promotional pieces and podcasts?
I remember some of his superhero ones being embarrassingly bad, gushingly positive and somehow hours longer than the actual films.

Shaky

That trailer is absolute dogshit butttttt I liked Clerks 2 a decent amount (mixed bag humour-wise, but the heart was there) so hopefully there's more to the finished film. Maybe.

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 06, 2022, 11:28:34 PMAs Noodle Lizard says, it also seems weird for Randal to become a Smith stand-in. 

I suspect Randal is now the main lead as it's the only way Smith could get Anderson back. He famously refused previous Clerks 3 drafts, which I sort of respect as he stood to make a bit of coin by just dredging his character up again regardless. But it does look a bit strange positioning him at the front like this - again, Smith might pull if off. Maybe.

Anyway, this needs to be the last View Askewniverse film. No more. He's been on the verge of ending them for nearly 20 years at this point.

sutin

Quote from: Shaky on July 07, 2022, 09:43:59 AMThat trailer is absolute dogshit butttttt I liked Clerks 2 a decent amount (mixed bag humour-wise, but the heart was there) so hopefully there's more to the finished film. Maybe.

I suspect Randal is now the main lead as it's the only way Smith could get Anderson back. He famously refused previous Clerks 3 drafts, which I sort of respect as he stood to make a bit of coin by just dredging his character up again regardless. But it does look a bit strange positioning him at the front like this - again, Smith might pull if off. Maybe.

Anyway, this needs to be the last View Askewniverse film. No more. He's been on the verge of ending them for nearly 20 years at this point.

I loved Clerks 2, almost as much as the first one. I don't know if that's a controversial opinion?

I'll be happy to be surprised by this one, but the metaness of the trailer instantly lowered my expectations. Clerks 2 very cleverly kept away from that shit almost entirely.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shaky on July 07, 2022, 09:43:59 AMAnyway, this needs to be the last View Askewniverse film. No more. He's been on the verge of ending them for nearly 20 years at this point.
Yeah, they should have a scene where someone, maybe God or somebody, literally closes the book on the Askewniverse, to represent its finality.

sutin

He just can't give it up, like a drug addict having 'one more hit' again, and again.

JamesTC

Quote from: sutin on July 07, 2022, 12:36:35 PMI loved Clerks 2, almost as much as the first one. I don't know if that's a controversial opinion?

I certainly agree. Loved that as a kid. Don't know how I managed to get into the pictures to see it at 14 but it was a great experience. Even ended up buying the script which I read many times.

Shaky

Quote from: sutin on July 07, 2022, 12:36:35 PMI loved Clerks 2, almost as much as the first one. I don't know if that's a controversial opinion?

I'll be happy to be surprised by this one, but the metaness of the trailer instantly lowered my expectations. Clerks 2 very cleverly kept away from that shit almost entirely.

For me, Clerks 2 isn't half as funny as the first but he gets the characters right and it's a convincing look at where they would've been after 10+ years. A lot of the more emotional stuff works too. This one - so far - looks like it's way too smug and knowing but I guess we'll see.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shaky on July 07, 2022, 09:43:59 AMAnyway, this needs to be the last View Askewniverse film. No more. He's been on the verge of ending them for nearly 20 years at this point.

He might do a Tommy Cooper and die in the director's chair while filming Clerks 6. The last few years have shown that's a possibility.

checkoutgirl

I thought it was fine. Haven't seen it in a few years but I'm fairly sure it was sort of well received.

JamesTC

When he dies, will they have a sign saying "I assure you, he's dead".

frajer

Agree with everyone who said Clerks 2 is an absolute banger. Solid laughs, great character work and the final pullback and fade to black-and-white is perfect.

That's his last great film for me. Everything after (including Red State) has felt half-arsed at best, and often not even that. As others have said, Yoga Hosers was truly dogshit.

Didn't realise his new horror film was going to be an NFT! Jesus wept. Suppose it makes sense though because when I saw the trailer my response was No Fucking Ta.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: frajer on July 07, 2022, 02:44:41 PMDidn't realise his new horror film was going to be an NFT!

How does that work? I thought NFTs were a scam where pixels were sold for loads of money like a pyramid scheme and you hope someone even stupider buys it off you for more money. How is a film released like this?

AsparagusTrevor

I quite enjoyed Clerks 2 as well, although the last time I saw it was about 10 years ago and I was still a Smith apologist. Tusk torpedoed that mindset and Yoga Hosiers finished it off, and yet I still foolishly gave J&SB Reboot a chance.

sutin

Quote from: JamesTC on July 07, 2022, 02:08:02 PMI certainly agree. Loved that as a kid. Don't know how I managed to get into the pictures to see it at 14 but it was a great experience. Even ended up buying the script which I read many times.

I was a decade older than you when Clerks 2 came out and I found that jail cell scene very affecting as someone in their mid-20s who smoked weed most days.

frajer

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 07, 2022, 03:08:24 PMHow does that work? I thought NFTs were a scam where pixels were sold for loads of money like a pyramid scheme and you hope someone even stupider buys it off you for more money. How is a film released like this?

Like all NFTs, this does sound like an unwieldy and unmanageable rip-off. You apparently purchase one of 5,555 NFT crypto keys, which grants you access to your "unique" digital version of the movie and bonus features.

It gets worse: NFT owners are encouraged to make their own content based off the film, which Smith will then utilise to form a sequel. You get to be a "collaborating artist" for seemingly fuck all recompense.

Pretty wretched money-grubbing stuff, from what it sounds like: https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/kevin-smith-killroy-was-here-nft-release-1234714555/

Also I imagine it will be available for all to "acquire" within a day of the NFTs dropping.

dontpaintyourteeth

This is a mealy-mouthed opinion I'm sure but he seems like a nice enough person and if he still has enough of an audience for these things to at least break even then that's, I don't know, fine I suppose.

I suspect getting heavy into the collie weed did him no favours creatively. Also I think I stopped listening to the podcasts around 7 or 8 years ago because they became just a little too "stoner". Giggling and/or coughing for like 70% of each episode. Which... again, fair enough if people are into it.

The NFT shit can definitely get in the bin though, fuck off with that Kev. 

checkoutgirl

Quote from: frajer on July 07, 2022, 03:53:35 PMwhich grants you access to your "unique" digital version of the movie and bonus features.

Oh it's bollocks! That makes sense. They all get the same version just with a different code number on it. At least with a book signing you get a real book with a real signature on it. The sequel thing doesn't surprise me, there can be no Clerks 6 without a Clerks 4 and Clerks 5.