Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Starfield (Skyrim in space game)

Started by Inspector Norse, June 18, 2023, 10:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Binned this off. Reached Akila City and it's just turned into Fallout 4 but prettier and it's boring the arse off me.

Poobum

So many loads screens, so little time. Flying around in a system isn't even any fun because once the generated pirate attack is over there's nothing else to do.

The whole Crimson Pirate thing was just frustrating, gives you no options to enjoy the premise. Annoyed that simply putting a bullet in Mathis's head as soon as he was kicked out wasn't an option, such a Ned Flanders of a game. Really wanted to confront Naeva and tell just what a stupid twat she was and I enjoyed playing her every step of the way but she just disappears from the game.

Alberon

I'd be surprised if she doesn't reappear in some DLC down the line.

Space combat is basic and there is no flying system beyond fast travel points. I'm still enjoying it for what it is. I'm pushing on to the end of the main quest line now all the factions are done. Might even push into the New Game Plus system.

Alberon

Got to the ending, such as it is.

Spoiler alert
It has a New Game Plus system where you journey out into the multiverse. Which is just restarting the game with the enemies at a generally higher level. There can be big differences in The Lodge, but that apparently takes a few new universes to pop up.

Basically all I get is a new 'Starborn' option that allows me to sidestep parts of certain quests. I do also get a new Starborn starship and spacesuit as well, but lose all other items and property when I move to a new universe.

You can level your powers up (to the tenth level) by revisiting temples, but apart from that it's all the same.
[close]

So until any worthwhile DLC comes out I'm done. Flawed but fun game.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 06, 2023, 03:46:55 PMBinned this off. Reached Akila City and it's just turned into Fallout 4 but prettier and it's boring the arse off me.

Is this the general opinion? Damp Squib 2023?

Was considering straying from the PlayStation and buying an Xbox (ptuh) but most reviews I've seen have suggested it isn't worth it.

Alberon

After finishing this I've gone back to replay Cyberpunk 2077 and the expansion.

The difference between the two is stark. I like Starfield, but it does feel very much a game five or more years older than Cyberpunk. The latter has far more life and looks better, plays better and is a proper large open world. Starfield isn't worth buying a console just to play.

Inspector Norse

Yeah pretty much, it's an enjoyable game and there's lots to do in it, but it lacks the real Bethesda magic and it feels like apart from some of the basic mechanics and graphics, they've not made any attempt to stay with the times and as a result it feels a bit quaint and creaky in terms of plot, character and playstyle. That's sometimes charming and/or nostalgic, sometimes frustrating and empty depending on what you're up to in the game and what mood you're in that day.

Definitely worth a play if you already have an XBox or PC, I've put loads of time into it before getting bored and have still saved up most of most of the main storyline and faction quests to do, but nah by no means should you buy a console just for this.

tdurbo

Quote from: Alberon on October 17, 2023, 06:35:46 AMAfter finishing this...

Finished it? Wow I'm barely scratching the surface after 200 hours. I think I've only done two main missions.

FWIW I love it, but can see it eventually getting a bit samey. But so did Skyrim eventually

shoulders

The Crumb

If you like picking things up, rocks, menus and lovingly rendered food then yes.

Alberon

Quote from: tdurbo on November 02, 2023, 06:38:39 PMFinished it? Wow I'm barely scratching the surface after 200 hours. I think I've only done two main missions.

FWIW I love it, but can see it eventually getting a bit samey. But so did Skyrim eventually

I'd done all the factions, visited all the hand built locations, done most of the side quests and gone on into the New Game Plus feature. I felt like I'd done everything, you only need to do two or three of the randomly generated bases to see all of that. I was actually quite surprised how quickly I felt there was nothing more to do.

I like the game and I'll come back for the DLC, but Starfield doesn't, yet, have the staying power of previous RPGs. Bethesda have made defensive comments justifying their approach to this game, but a lot of people seem to think they went down some wrong routes here.

They've been left behind. I'm still replaying Cyberpunk 2077 and that pisses on Starfield.

tdurbo

Quote from: Alberon on November 03, 2023, 12:05:36 PMI'd done all the factions, visited all the hand built locations, done most of the side quests and gone on into the New Game Plus feature. I felt like I'd done everything, you only need to do two or three of the randomly generated bases to see all of that. I was actually quite surprised how quickly I felt there was nothing more to do.

I like the game and I'll come back for the DLC, but Starfield doesn't, yet, have the staying power of previous RPGs. Bethesda have made defensive comments justifying their approach to this game, but a lot of people seem to think they went down some wrong routes here.

They've been left behind. I'm still replaying Cyberpunk 2077 and that pisses on Starfield.

Can't really argue with any of that tbh. I seem to play it in bursts, I'll cane it for three days then don't touch it for a fortnight.

Mods definitely needed

Critcho

I did the five main plots and a few minor questlines. It took quite a while and I enjoyed it well enough (particularly the big corporate espionage heist mission, where the game turns into Deus Ex for a bit), but am done with it.

I got the distinct feeling they started designing a load of features assuming they'd turn out fun eventually, but they never did. But instead of cutting them, they just left them there in a "oh by the way, here's a thing you can do if you want. No worries if you don't, it doesn't really matter" kind of way.

It's hard to get excited about the prospect of base building when the game itself barely encourages you to do it. The procedurally generated landscapes are pretty, but there's no real feeling of stumbling on anything unique or interesting. So much effort seems to have been spent on pointless things that aren't much fun at all.

Once I was done I dug out my old Switch Skyrim save, and it did highlight how most of the basic elements that make up that game have been carried over to Starfield, but restructured in such a way that takes the appeal out of large chunks of it.

The main appeal of Skyrim, for me anyway, is getting a mission halfway across the map, going on a merry hike over there, and ticking off other minor objectives or picking up new ones along the way.

In this one, you have the ability to go on infinite merry hikes, but because there's usually only one place worth visiting within walking distance, there isn't a lot of reason to do that. So instead you just fast travel between the main cities and rattle through the missions because that's where the fun stuff is.

George White

Looking through the voice cast for any unexpected names, and Christ, Keir Dullea, now 87. We're as far away from 2001 A Space Odyssey as that film was from the start of the First World War.

Alberon

He popped up in the Halo TV series the other year looking quite sprightly.