Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:01:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Train

Started by Tony Yeboah, June 20, 2023, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I very much enjoyed the French film in which Mark Heap is in live with a road sign/traffic lights but it's so long ago that I saw it that I've probably got it wrong.

And yeah, the police sketch.

boki

Catalogue Trousers

Puerile as fuck, but still makes me laugh.

markburgle

Quote from: jobotic on June 20, 2023, 07:19:07 PMI very much enjoyed the French film in which Mark Heap is in live with a road sign/traffic lights but it's so long ago that I saw it that I've probably got it wrong.

He's estranged from his wife, whose new beau is a set of temporary traffic lights. They're all being really civilised and at one point Heap's character asks "what do you do?"

jobotic

That's it!

Does he end up on a date with a road sign?

rack and peanut

COME ON YOU SPURS!

gilbertharding

checkoutgirl

Didn't think much of that fucking King Lear.

No you are mistaking me for another I am...Portaccio.

Oh I'm sorry, forgive me.

superthunderstingcar

"Portaccio, Portaccio, Portaccio." (with accompanying theatrical gestures)

Also this:

kalowski

Quote from: Clive Dogshit on June 20, 2023, 04:03:09 PM"I'm committed to cakes."

Even when the sketches didn't hit the performers were so good.
Oh yes! The bit when Eldon says something like "You'd think this surfeit of cooks would benefit the broth but no!"

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on June 20, 2023, 07:50:57 PMThat's it!

Does he end up on a date with a road sign?

A garden hose.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kalowski on June 20, 2023, 08:25:06 PMOh yes! The bit when Eldon says something like "You'd think this surfeit of cooks would benefit the broth but no!"

Yeah. Then..

"You might say..."

*Squints eyes*

"You've...bollocksed it up"

*Nods smilingly*

kalowski

Also love the hypnosis sketch, especially "You do know I'm an evil hypnotist?"

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Quote from: stranger on June 20, 2023, 06:08:06 PM"Yeah yeah, I know how this story ends. It ends with me not being married doesn't it?"

That's the one for me.

Ding dong the bells are going to chime...

What I particularly like about it is Kevin Eldon in innocent mode. I think Eldon can do vulnerable and scared amazingly well.

Gulftastic

The George Martin kidnap one. Carried along by Kevin Eldon's fantastic impression, obviously.

'Well, the Beatles certainly never took drugs in front of me....'.

Fluffy puppet... phwoar!

famethrowa

Quote from: Tikwid on June 20, 2023, 05:37:57 PMNAME
RIO
NAME
RIO

God yes. This one really stuck with me.

Twilkes

Ironically, it's the little train sketch:

The Mollusk

Quote from: Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub on June 20, 2023, 08:32:29 PMWhat I particularly like about it is Kevin Eldon in innocent mode. I think Eldon can do vulnerable and scared amazingly well.

The Mollusk

Pegg and Heap playing ping pong in the funeral directors is another favourite.

"Come on lads, finish up now, quick as you can."

famethrowa

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 20, 2023, 05:56:38 PM

Love the attempted phone call to the Sarge. "a man who looks like... a load of old ... BOLLOCKS"

PlanktonSideburns

God dammit there's not enough Kevin Eldon in the world

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Twilkes on June 21, 2023, 05:32:23 AMIronically, it's the little train sketch:

the end of this sketch has been annoying me

You get all the ideas out in the office with the map, you get three or four big misunderstandings and that's all there needs to be.  It's like they thought 'we need a punchline' and then they go to a different, seemingly unrelated place, they recognise little person + oversized cheque is sort of distantly related to the misunderstanding size conceit - and then don't know how to end it.

BJBMK2

I recently posted about the S2 sketch with Mark Heap stalking Kevin Eldon as the robot/tin man thing. The length makes it, as it does with most Big Train sketches, but it's the music that fucking kills me, it's just inherently funny.

(Youtube only has the end of the sketch for some reason, which defeats it's impact, as it's scattered in about five parts throughout the episode).

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 21, 2023, 10:20:37 AMthe end of this sketch has been annoying me

You get all the ideas out in the office with the map, you get three or four big misunderstandings and that's all there needs to be.  It's like they thought 'we need a punchline' and then they go to a different, seemingly unrelated place, they recognise little person + oversized cheque is sort of distantly related to the misunderstanding size conceit - and then don't know how to end it.

That's part of the charm of the show. A lot of the sketches are just silly ideas that don't really go anywhere, so they either end with a limp punchline or a non sequitur. If it's a choice between a genuinely hilarious joke ending up getting cut or it just ending with Simon Pegg doing an impression of a chimpanzee or "Join the Army", I'd take the latter.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 21, 2023, 10:55:31 AMThat's part of the charm of the show. A lot of the sketches are just silly ideas that don't really go anywhere, so they either end with a limp punchline or a non sequitur. If it's a choice between a genuinely hilarious joke ending up getting cut or it just ending with Simon Pegg doing an impression of a chimpanzee or "Join the Army", I'd take the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I like that approach elsewhere.  It just dented that sketch for me a bit, it doesn't feel enough like a silly throwaway punchline, almost like they though *too much* about that one.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 20, 2023, 04:53:31 PMFucking hell, there's loads of great ones. I'll choose this one now, only to change my mind in a bit.

FUCKITPOST

FUN FACT INCOMING: You can see Paulines whiteboard of job suggestions from TLOG, at the start of that sketch.

centristmelt

...The Artist formerly known as Prince

checkoutgirl

If you remember one thing I say remember this as I shall not say it again ShjnrmnyeCHAAAAARRRRGGGE!!!!!

The Mollusk

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 21, 2023, 10:57:36 AMDon't get me wrong, I like that approach elsewhere.  It just dented that sketch for me a bit, it doesn't feel enough like a silly throwaway punchline, almost like they though *too much* about that one.

I agree with this and it's always stuck out to me too