Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Train

Started by Tony Yeboah, June 20, 2023, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: lazyhour on July 13, 2023, 08:09:32 PMBy the time Hyperdrive came along I can't blame the more devout comedy spods

It's mad because I thought I was one of those spods but I liked too many shows that were singled out for opprobrium by the hardcore nerds. Garth Marenghi, Nathan Barley, Mighty Boosh and Hyperdrive, I enjoyed them all. But looking back, I suspect it's better to be a bit lacking in discernment than being one of those joyless bores on SOTCAA. It's no way to live your life.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 14, 2023, 11:02:08 AMI love that. Eldon is brilliant there. Look at that little telly on its little stand as well! What a time to be alive.

A lesser performer wouldn't have made me laugh simply by not drinking from the coffee mug for an extra 15 seconds.

thugler

Not heard mention of 'that voice' for such a long time. Cab was endlessly drivelling on about it. Never really understood why it was such a bugbear.

notjosh

Don't know where in my head this was living, but I just remembered a quote from an interview that Armando Iannucci gave 18 years ago [emphasis mine]:

QuoteSteve wants to do an Alan Partridge film, but I couldn't bear to go through that again. For me, the idea of spending two more years in a room with that voice is more than I can take.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2005/05/07/190/men-on-the-moon

Menu

Quote from: notjosh on July 20, 2023, 08:06:40 PMDon't know where in my head this was living, but I just remembered a quote from an interview that Armando Iannuci gave 18 years ago [emphasis mine]:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2005/05/07/190/men-on-the-moon

Did the novel he mentions ever materialise? I wonder if the lunar-base film was the origin for what eventually became Avenue 5? I could see Coogan doing the Hugh Laurie role.

Choci Loni

Is this Bridget Christie in the Big Train nazis backstage sketch? (56 seconds in, as mentioned by a YouTube commenter.)

The Late Mike Morris

Quote from: Choci Loni on August 02, 2023, 09:52:01 PMIs this Bridget Christie in the Big Train nazis backstage sketch? (56 seconds in, as mentioned by a YouTube commenter.)

It does look quite like her, but I'd have thought they probably look a bit old to have been her in the late-90s(?)

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It's definitely not her.

Pink Gregory

if you want some background Bridget (and Kevin Eldon) there is this

kalowski

Just what I was going to post. She - like everyone - is brilliant in this.

popcorn

I really like this sketch (and the other ones on the theme like the space shuttle — were there more?)

But it is an example of something I don't like in sketch writing:

QuoteYou have volunteered to remain in this cell for 10 years, completely alone with nothing but three books for company, simply so that our scientists may ascertain how such treatment may affect an ape of roughly the same size as yourself.

Obviously I get the joke here, but adding silliness to the setup ruins the payoff. The joke should purely be in the "oh, just, sorry — ". Everything else should be played straight.

It's also a bit distracting. It creates the feeling that this ape idea is going to be something to do with wherever the sketch is going (especially as interestingly there's no audience laugh when it's mentioned, which generally means it's not supposed to be funny).

It's something I see in a lot of American sketch comedy like Mr Show — they'll inject jokes and wackiness at every possible moment which I think dilutes the overall impact.

One of the things I really like about Big Train is that, generally, each sketch is just one idea, executed quite surgically. It will be one very silly thing in an otherwise very straight situation.

petril

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 03, 2023, 06:48:45 AMif you want some background Bridget (and Kevin Eldon) there is this

I love the side by side someone did with the original

ERADICATOR!

FInally got around to signing up here and I have something I'd like to show you all -

Bought this, the actual 'Uh-uh-uh-uh' letter from the Simon Pegg prison sketch, years back from the Prop Store and it's still one of the greatest things I ever stupidly decided to buy :D

I'd love to one day get a still frame from the sketch signed by Pegg to mount in a frame with it.

neveragain

famethrowa

Quote from: ERADICATOR! on February 27, 2024, 11:20:40 PMFInally got around to signing up here and I have something I'd like to show you all -

Bloody marvellous. Especially the bit that goes uh-huh-uh-huh

Oosp

Quote from: ERADICATOR! on February 27, 2024, 11:20:40 PMFInally got around to signing up here and I have something I'd like to show you all -

Bought this, the actual 'Uh-uh-uh-uh' letter from the Simon Pegg prison sketch, years back from the Prop Store and it's still one of the greatest things I ever stupidly decided to buy :D

I'd love to one day get a still frame from the sketch signed by Pegg to mount in a frame with it.

Fucking yes mate. A sketch for the ages

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That was the best sketch ever and my envy knows no depths.

ERADICATOR!

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on February 28, 2024, 10:12:13 PMThat was the best sketch ever and my envy knows no depths.

Exactly why I HAD to buy it. I actually went on there to get an Exorcist III crew shirt but got distracted, stumbled across this and flipped out. I never did get that Exorcist III shirt.

If I could, I'd love to have the 'Ha Ha, You Twat' paper plate as well.

Quote from: ERADICATOR! on February 28, 2024, 11:37:37 PMExactly why I HAD to buy it. I actually went on there to get an Exorcist III crew shirt but got distracted, stumbled across this and flipped out. I never did get that Exorcist III shirt.

If I could, I'd love to have the 'Ha Ha, You Twat' paper plate as well.

Another dream Big Train prop would be the puppet from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfQWm2Hq2xM

Phwoar!!!

neveragain

If you can't afford fab genuine props why not try this knock off tat?

Seen only today at my local Quality Save Store.