Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:58:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hi, recommend me some wireless earbuds please, cheers

Started by The Mollusk, September 04, 2023, 07:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

You are holding an assortment of horrific street drugs mate. You've been sold yellow bentines and crystal meth forged in the mold of a Flubber toy from a cereal box

This is a good guide for wireless (plus also has a dementedly long section ranking IEMs too):

https://crinacle.com/guide/tws/

The Mollusk

Nice, cheers.

This is turning into a labyrinthine decision making process for me. Starting looking into Chi-fi brands now as there's loads of excellent quality builds at considerably lower prices. They've all got mental names and look like fuckin rare minerals you collect in RPGs to level up your weaponry.

Norton Canes

Anyone got a recco for wireless ear... not buds? Like, the ones with the flat ends that just go into the shell of your ear? Can't do ear buds, don't know how anyone can stick those bullet ends into their canals with any degree of comfort.

fuzzyste

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 07, 2023, 10:57:00 PMI've been using those same ones as my main headphones for the past couple of years for listening to music and mixing audio (the Iron Man coloured ones because I'm a twat). I recently switched to wireless earbuds for when I'm out and got these, which I find are a good equivalent, really decent sound, good bass. Currently a third off the £90 RRP so that'd a fair bit of change left over from your budget

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FKGJ1CB/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item?th=1

Just bought these, £55 not a bad price at all for the reviews. Thanks!

El Unicornio, mang

The Mollusk

Went rogue and got myself a pair of these:

https://kz-audio.com/kz-zs10-pro-x.html

£50 and they sound flipping great. Decent bass but the clarity of everything around it is very spacious and crisp. Comfy fit, no annoying cable noise (which I'm told is called "microphonics"), and they look nice. I am happy.

dontpaintyourteeth

Shaxberd

Quote from: fuzzyste on September 12, 2023, 06:24:29 PMJust bought these, £55 not a bad price at all for the reviews. Thanks!

I also picked some of these up as my several-years-old Galaxy Buds have been on their last legs.

Very impressed by the audio quality for the price, especially when walking outside - they don't have noise cancelling but they do a good job blocking out passing car sounds etc.

Thanks for the recommendation!

NoSleep

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 13, 2023, 09:38:59 AMComfy fit, no annoying cable noise (which I'm told is called "microphonics")...

"Cable noise" could possibly be microphonics (which means you're picking up signals from nearby sources that aren't normally expected to transmit, like being able to talk into a guitar pickup and it getting amplified, or tapping the casing of an audio device and being able to hear it through the speakers), but is more likely to be the cable directly carrying vibrations from whatever it's connected to; like when you connect two yoghurt pots together with a piece of string. Just like the yoghurt pots, this will only happen if the cable is taut, so it needs to hang loosely. I get this sometimes when I'm playing bass while wearing headphones and the headphone cable gets caught between the bass and my chest and suddenly the bass is clearly audible in the cans.

Endicott

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 11, 2023, 05:48:21 PMAnyone got a recco for wireless ear... not buds? Like, the ones with the flat ends that just go into the shell of your ear? Can't do ear buds, don't know how anyone can stick those bullet ends into their canals with any degree of comfort.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=82478.msg5316231#msg5316231

The FIIO and the M2 still working well for me. If you do go this route make sure the FIIO connector matches the bud connector (needs to be MMCX in this case), otherwise you'll end up using a small adaptor like I do.

I didn't mention before because there's no noise cancelling.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shaxberd on September 13, 2023, 09:50:40 AMI also picked some of these up as my several-years-old Galaxy Buds have been on their last legs.

Very impressed by the audio quality for the price, especially when walking outside - they don't have noise cancelling but they do a good job blocking out passing car sounds etc.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Damn I should get commission from Sony...

Being new to these kinds of earphones, I found putting them in a bit weird at first. I kind of have to put them in and then slightly rotate towards the back of the ears so they fit snugly. Don't cut out all noise but enough to erase the annoying sounds of people on public transport, workmen outside etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 13, 2023, 09:38:59 AMWent rogue and got myself a pair of these:

https://kz-audio.com/kz-zs10-pro-x.html

£50 and they sound flipping great. Decent bass but the clarity of everything around it is very spacious and crisp. Comfy fit, no annoying cable noise (which I'm told is called "microphonics"), and they look nice. I am happy.

I've got these, glad you like them.

If you get fed up with cables you can get bluetooth modules to replace the wires fairly cheaply.

Doesn't just apply to kz's but I found these 'hybrid' tips for a couple of quid made the fit better, they're just foam behind silicone which seems better than either/or in my experience: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005638332999.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.6b40ad17Jc1kPF&algo_pvid=d37d7ea6-bb32-4294-9a44-fccc65f680d4&algo_exp_id=d37d7ea6-bb32-4294-9a44-fccc65f680d4-0&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21GBP%216.03%213.32%21%21%217.27%21%21%40211b88f116947680630423139efd01%2112000033842556331%21sea%21UK%211806279143%21S&curPageLogUid=c6TNAvlFQheU

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2023, 09:57:30 AMI've got these, glad you like them.

If you get fed up with cables you can get bluetooth modules to replace the wires fairly cheaply.

It took me a little while to get used to the bass as my ATs are a lot more neutral but once I acclimatised to the, uh, soundstage? I learned to like them a lot.

Any bluetooth modules you'd care to recommend?

holyzombiejesus

I like the idea of getting something like what Mollusc got but is there any point when you're playing mp3s through a shitty old iPod? A yes/ no will suffice.

Also, stuck between wanting wired noise reducers and being safe cycling. Normally use Betron YSM1000s and they let enough background noise in to not feel discombobulating.

The Mollusk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 15, 2023, 02:34:10 PMI like the idea of getting something like what Mollusc got but is there any point when you're playing mp3s through a shitty old iPod? A yes/ no will suffice.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure an old iPod will still deliver the goods as long as your music is like 320kbs bitrate or higher.

jobotic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: jobotic on September 15, 2023, 02:52:11 PMAre any headphones safe to wear while cycling?

I probably wouldn't just because of how much noise they cut out. It's actually illegal in Florida to wear earphones while cycling, probably more down to how shit and unaware of anyone not in a vehicle drivers are there than anything else.

jobotic

My headphones are pretty bog standard but I can't hear much when I'm playing music other than the music. SO there may be much safer ones,, but I would be wary of wearing any while cycling. I even stopped wearing them while running (although that's because they are always falling out).

It wasn't always the case though and I remember not hearing a fire engine behind me properly because I thought it was part of the crazy mix I was listening to!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 15, 2023, 02:34:10 PMAlso, stuck between wanting wired noise reducers and being safe cycling. Normally use Betron YSM1000s and they let enough background noise in to not feel discombobulating.

I've seen earbud tips with notches in them which are designed to be leaky for use when cycling/running on roads.

Although the safest option are bone-conduction headphones as they leave your ears completely free.

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 15, 2023, 10:05:40 AMIt took me a little while to get used to the bass as my ATs are a lot more neutral but once I acclimatised to the, uh, soundstage? I learned to like them a lot.

Any bluetooth modules you'd care to recommend?

Not ignoring you but will need to dig some links out.

The Mollusk

Endicott

Something to take note of, is that your IEMs have slightly funky[1] 2 pin connectors.

They're not MMCX and they're not the standard 2 pin 0.75 or 0.78 connector I've seen around. So the 2 pin version of the FIIO bluetooth module I linked above probably wouldn't fit them.

I'd be inclined to pick one of the several bluetooth ear hooks listed by KZ, eg this or one of the other higher performance ones

https://kz-audio.com/kz-az09.html

[1] most recently adopted standard, or maverick choice, I don't know!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Endicott on September 15, 2023, 04:21:43 PMSomething to take note of, is that your IEMs have slightly funky[1] 2 pin connectors.

They're not MMCX and they're not the standard 2 pin 0.75 or 0.78 connector I've seen around. So the 2 pin version of the FIIO bluetooth module I linked above probably wouldn't fit them.

I'd be inclined to pick one of the several bluetooth ear hooks listed by KZ, eg this or one of the other higher performance ones

https://kz-audio.com/kz-az09.html

[1] most recently adopted standard, or maverick choice, I don't know!

You sure, their site says they're .75mm

It turns out I've got the KZ10 Pro (not Pro X) and I use a .75mm connector.

Endicott

They're shrouded, or recessed, if you see what I mean. That might get in the way. I might be wrong about them not fitting, it's hard to tell unless you have the parts in front of you, but it would be annoying to get something and then find you need a little adaptor.

edit actually the recess is on the bluetooth end, not the IEM. That probably makes it ok.

The Mollusk

Those official ones are only a tenner anyway, seems like the best option. And they come with a case which appears to accommodate the buds as well which is handy because annoyingly the Pro Xs didn't come with one.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Endicott on September 15, 2023, 04:33:19 PMThey're shrouded, or recessed, if you see what I mean. That might get in the way. I might be wrong about them not fitting, it's hard to tell unless you have the parts in front of you, but it would be annoying to get something and then find you need a little adaptor.

edit actually the recess is on the bluetooth end, not the IEM. That probably makes it ok.

The IEM end is the same as the CCA C12's I have they have a plastic cover round the pin-holes with a little groove in the middle. The cable/bluetooth ends come in non-covered (where the pins protrude out of some plastic that'll sit flush with the top of the pinholes when connected, or shrowded like you say, but they're designed to cover the connector.

I've had both and I'd recommend getting the shrowded ones as the plastic connectors can be a bit of a weakpoint on the IEMS*, especially with the hearing aid style you linked and that goes doubly so if you happen to wear glasses as they can sometimes have a tendency to fight for space between the arms of your gegs behind your ear.

*I did manage to get extra life out of a pair where the insulation around the socket had crumbled away by gently adding a connector then squirting a giant blob of hot glue around it, waiting for it to cool and trimming it back with a scalpel.

holyzombiejesus

Just before I press buy (and shamelessly copy Mollusk), are these the ones he linked to? There's all these letters and numbers. What the fuck is KINBOOFI?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QNJ6PZH/ref=twister_B0CG9DJ3SV?_encoding=UTF8&amp&psc=1

The Mollusk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 15, 2023, 09:07:49 PMJust before I press buy (and shamelessly copy Mollusk), are these the ones he linked to? There's all these letters and numbers. What the fuck is KINBOOFI?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QNJ6PZH/ref=twister_B0CG9DJ3SV?_encoding=UTF8&amp&psc=1

Yep that's them!

chocky909

I've been using Status Between Pro wireless earbuds for about a year now. They have two balanced armature drivers and one dynamic driver in each earbud which give a bit more subtlety than the more common single dynamic driver found in most earbuds. About £99 depending on sales or there is a more expensive, newer model that has active noise cancelling.

https://www.status.co/products/betweenpro