Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:18:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1987 Michael Barrymore Special

Started by TheMonk, September 11, 2023, 04:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

ADC TV Collection on YouTube has just stuck up a whole Michael Barrymore Special from 1987. Interesting viewing.
There's a lot going on in that opening This Is Your Life sketch for starters.
https://youtu.be/_pRSpfPXZBk?si=nPkcueGoYo8epYqv

Gulftastic

Does it include any of his relentless attempts to make 'Everybody's Doing The Crab' a hit?

For those too young to remember, nobody was doing the crab. Well, maybe perverts, I suppose.

Fambo Number Mive

Listening to Everybody's Doing the Crab on Youtube. Feels rather joyless despite it's upbeat tone.

madhair60

and yet nobody uploads the entirety of Brian Conley's Crazy Christmas

Proactive

If you haven't seen it already, the video someone from this forum (sorry, don't recall their username) made about his "Too hot for TV" style VHS is brilliant and mind-boggling

https://youtu.be/huaZHAR2SfE?si=wzJSWSEja_NSYGYN

George White

Quote from: TheMonk on September 11, 2023, 04:13:20 PMADC TV Collection on YouTube has just stuck up a whole Michael Barrymore Special from 1987. Interesting viewing.
There's a lot going on in that opening This Is Your Life sketch for starters.
https://youtu.be/_pRSpfPXZBk?si=nPkcueGoYo8epYqv
Johnny More's impression of Eamonn Andrews is too Nordie. Eamonn's accent was that slightly odd Irish Mid-Atlantic thing.

Glebe

I've not watched the special but in case you haven't seen it here's Barrymore and Nicholas Lyndhurst doing 'My Generation':

Barrymore doing the Jagger strut for some reason. Possibly because he is a knob.

non capisco

Lyndhurst's body language suggests singing a Who duet with Michael Barrymore is several million places from the top of a list of things he'd like to be doing.

jobotic

Talking about tossed salads and scrambled eggs

petril

Gary Sparrow is reluctantly pressured into performing another of his songs under blackout conditions, escaping home only to realise he doesn't know what his best friend actually did in Brookside

Glebe

Rodney forgot his passport and only got as far as Buck Palace where he met some cholera cultures (Barrymore).

++YOUR MOVE++

Catalogue Trousers

Look. Lyndhurst is a legend and Barrymore is shite. End of.

Steven88

Quote from: Glebe on September 11, 2023, 06:29:05 PMI've not watched the special but in case you haven't seen it here's Barrymore and Nicholas Lyndhurst doing 'My Generation':

Barrymore doing the Jagger strut for some reason. Possibly because he is a knob.
We know whodunnit, Barrymore dunnit.

ros vulgaris

This feels like it could turn up in the middle of an Adam Curtis film

Pseudopath

Quote from: ros vulgaris on September 12, 2023, 07:24:32 AMThis feels like it could turn up in the middle of an Adam Curtis film

His take on Backstreet Boys has to be seen to be believed too:

Apparently the Holy Grail amongst Barrymore deepcut aficionados is a long-lost fabled cover of Puff Daddy's I'll Be Missing You.

Mr Banlon

I've not watched the special but in case you haven't seen it here's Barrymore and Nicholas Lyndhurst doing 'My Generation':

Not Rodders, it's Weller

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 13, 2023, 12:34:54 AMHis take on Backstreet Boys has to be seen to be believed too:

Apparently the Holy Grail amongst Barrymore deepcut aficionados is a long-lost fabled cover of Puff Daddy's I'll Be Missing You.

I think I despise the audience in this clip even more than the pool murderer. He's getting paid to be a cunt, they're doing it for nothing.

MoreauVasz

Barrymore was such a *weird* screen presence though... In truth, that was his career: The ability to present incredibly bland inoffensive humour to undemanding elderly audiences whilst making it appear chaotic and transgressive.

It's the old Max Miller thing of looking off-stage and leaning towards the audience as though he's about to tell a rude one only here it's a sweaty man on the verge of a panic attack.

Petey Pate

The Mash and Peas spoof of Barrymore might be the funniest thing David Walliams has ever done. Also features Paul Putner.

George White

Quote from: MoreauVasz on September 13, 2023, 07:55:29 AMBarrymore was such a *weird* screen presence though... In truth, that was his career: The ability to present incredibly bland inoffensive humour to undemanding elderly audiences whilst making it appear chaotic and transgressive.

It's the old Max Miller thing of looking off-stage and leaning towards the audience as though he's about to tell a rude one only here it's a sweaty man on the verge of a panic attack.
He's very much of the Savile school of someone with little  talent (well, moreso than Savile, but still...) but a forceful personality, cleverness and a sociopathic nature, and using those to his advantage. 

The irony is that Walliams is probably the next ofthose types.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: George White on September 13, 2023, 11:36:46 AMThe irony is that Walliams is probably the next ofthose types.
When he started taking the piss out of Barrymore's seedy tendency to get into people's personal space, I thought "that's rich"

George White

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 13, 2023, 11:55:07 AMWhen he started taking the piss out of Barrymore's seedy tendency to get into people's personal space, I thought "that's rich"
He's the Gen X Barrymore, down to being beloved by kids (I loved Barrymore as a small child - my mum was disturbed by this - this might account for my later crushes on such strange middle-aged old queens like Spacey and Boyne).

Quote from: Mr Banlon on September 13, 2023, 12:45:15 AMI've not watched the special but in case you haven't seen it here's Barrymore and Nicholas Lyndhurst doing 'My Generation':

Not Rodders, it's Weller

Only Pools And Horses.

JesuitWrangler

Damn, that 'Families at Home' skit where he pretends to be Asian is horrific. 7 minutes of him inconsistently mixing up 'r' and 'l'. That's all there is to it.

Christ.

Quote from: George White on September 13, 2023, 11:36:46 AMHe's very much of the Savile school of someone with little  talent (well, moreso than Savile, but still...)

Savile had more talent when it came to networking, getting in with the right people, and making and retaining wealth.

George White

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 13, 2023, 12:38:48 PMSavile had more talent when it came to networking, getting in with the right people, and making and retaining wealth.
Well, let's face it, Barrymore needed Cheryl for all the networking and schmoozing.

poodlefaker

Remember when he tried to do a UK Larry Sanders with Keith Allen? Grim.

Gulftastic

I remember when they tried to do a Seinfeld with David Baddiel and it was too shit to even reach the level of grim.