Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:26:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best couch co-ops

Started by Vodkafone, September 18, 2023, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodkafone

I enjoy a couch co-op game but, like clamdiggers and answering the fucking phone, they seem to have gone out of fashion. Good ones I have played:

Unravel 2
Beach Buggy Racing
Sega Rally
Rayman Legends
Golf 2K
Star Wars Battlefront
Probably lots of others I have forgotten about

Good ones I haven't played:

Fill this bit in for me, cheers

oggyraiding

Castle Crashers is good fun if you like mindless beat em ups that aren't too challenging.
The many licensed LEGO games are alright, though it can get a bit fiddly having to switch between all the characters for relevant puzzles and interactions.
Resident Evil 5/6 have split screen co-op, I love both those games but they're a lot more complex than the previous games I mentioned (I only say this because nowadays I only play couch co-op with my partner, she's fine with Castle Crashers and LEGO but Resi is too "hardcore" for her).
Resistance Fall Of Man is a PS3 launch title, sci-fi FPS set in the UK. They recreated places like York and Manchester Cathedral, the game itself is good too but I was mainly in it for the novelty of going to Grimsby in a big budget FPS.
Going retro, Spawn: In The Demon's Hand on Dreamcast locked off the latter half of the levels unless you were playing it in co-op. Played the absolute shit out of that back in the day.
Perfect Dark did co-op well, and the remaster is available on Xbox 360/One/Series.

Mobius

"It Takes Two" is a lot of fun

C_Larence

Overcooked 2 is the last game I played co-op at a friend's house, seemed like it could be a relationship ruiner.

oggyraiding

Quote from: C_Larence on September 18, 2023, 11:28:03 PMOvercooked 2 is the last game I played co-op at a friend's house, seemed like it could be a relationship ruiner.
I got a job at Team 17, first day I was assigned to do QA on Overcooked 2. After a day of playing an unfinished version of the game by myself with the purpose of finding bugs with no direction, I quit. Definitely a job ruiner type of game.

druss

Didn't get super far but a few years ago started Divinity 2 with an ex which was fun. I think Baldur's Gate 3 has it too but have also read some headlines that it doesn't work great at the moment (probably be better in six months or so).

Memorex MP3

Portal 2 obvs
It Takes Two is the big recent one
A Way Out is by the same guys and even better imo
Lotsa Nintendo games seem to allow co op now bolted onto the main game (Luigi's Mansion 3, Pikmin 3, Captain Toad)

Things like Return to the Obra Dinn and Case of the Golden Idol aren't co-op but are a lot of fun to do together.

It's been 20 years but I think Future Cop LAPD 2040 on the PS1 was great co-op?

I'm sure I can think of more later

Kelvin

The Overcooked games are good, especially the first. It's more fun with 3 or 4 players, but still really good with 2.

Only issue is that it really does get fairly difficult later on in the game, and you could well end up getting a bit ratty with your mates/partner as you narrowly miss the target score for the tenth time. Still one of the few couch co-op games that my mates and I still talk about years later. 

EDIT: That's an X-Box trailer, but both games are on everything.

Pink Gregory

Streets of Rage 4 and similar beat em ups, River City Girls and the Scott Pilgrim game are basically designed for co-op, but the River City Ransom model isn't for everyone, I've found having to level up to have anywhere near a good selection of moves a bit tedious.

KaraokeDragon

I have very fond couch co-op memories of the first two Gears of War games.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: KaraokeDragon on September 19, 2023, 11:42:10 AMI have very fond couch co-op memories of the first two Gears of War games.

It's a shame that it's basically unviable now, it's so high fidelity that even the Series X can't handle rendering the same thing twice.

Jerzy Bondov

Captain Toad, Mario 3D World, NSMBU Deluxe, Kirby Forgotten Land, all Nintendo couch co-op bangers. Luigi's Mansion 3 is great too but you have to get a little way in as a single player before it unlocks co-op.

The Lego games are good but they are so buggy. Lego Marvel 2 on Switch has a known bug where it just randomly stops saving your progress despite telling you it's saving your progress. That's never getting fixed.

Moving Out is very good, a bit less stressful than Overcooked. It's quite funny and you can slap each other.

My happiest co-op memories are probably stuff like Army of Two and EDF on the 360. Hours of mindless shooting.

The Crumb

Escape Academy, basically an Escape Room simulator. Only one of you actually needs to control it, but it's great with a group chipping in to the puzzles.

Golf with your Friends is crazy golf from the Worms devs, options let you tweak from something vaguely sensible and competitive to absolute chaos.

It's quite small, but Driver San Francisco's co-op mode where you have to survive a cop chase together is so much fun.

Halo games up to reach are some of the best co-op.

madhair60

Army of Two is fucking great. It's nonsensical bollocks but so much fun to just shoot cunt after cunt

Pink Gregory

Ah christ what was the Behemoth game that's not Castle Crashers or Alien Hominid, the most recent one...

Anyway, it's really good

Vodkafone

Quote from: madhair60 on September 19, 2023, 06:28:13 PMArmy of Two is fucking great. It's nonsensical bollocks but so much fun to just shoot cunt after cunt

Oh now that does look good. Still got a 360 so that might be a good call for under a fiver.

Vodkafone

One I forgot: Minecraft Dungeons. It's ok, not great but ok.

madhair60

Quote from: Vodkafone on September 19, 2023, 07:54:52 PMOh now that does look good. Still got a 360 so that might be a good call for under a fiver.

Third one is best, Devil's Cartel. But they're all a lot of fun.

The Guppy

I'm playing It Takes Two with my niece and it's a great game, but the main characters are a pair of cunts. And there's a talking book who's an even bigger cunt.

I don't like Minecraft Dungeons, but actual proper Minecraft is a wonderful co-op game.

kngen

Overcooked is great fun if you like having an 11-year-old screaming, 'The plates, Dad. The plates. DAD!! THE PLAAAATTTESSS!!! Oh great, now everything's on fire' at you. It did a good job in unearthing a hitherto unknown kitchen-based PTSD for me. I mean, all I did was wash dishes in a vegetarian cafe when I was 16; I wasn't exactly sous chef for Gordon Ramsey.

Moving Out is more fun and a little less hectic, I feel - I enjoy the fact that you can throw a telly out of a window and not get sacked immediately, much like real removal firms.

Pink Gregory

What disappoints me about Overcooked is that it's such a great, well-executed idea that there are a bunch of clones of it that are mainly 'physics lol'

Memorex MP3

Quote from: The Guppy on September 19, 2023, 08:19:43 PMAnd there's a talking book who's an even bigger cunt.
He seems to appear less as the game progresses thankfully

WesterlyWinds

Vodkafone

Quote from: madhair60 on September 19, 2023, 08:02:07 PMThird one is best, Devil's Cartel. But they're all a lot of fun.

We are enjoying Army of 2, so thanks for that recommend. The plot line, such as it is, is borderline 'raghead tursts' but it's of its time I guess.

rack and peanut

+1 for It Takes Two

Easily the best co op game to play with your bf/gf/mum

druss

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on September 19, 2023, 12:53:55 AMPortal 2 obvs

Finally playing this with partner and having the best time ever with a Co op game. Had to blitz her through Portal 1 the day before, taking over for the puzzles that require quite difficult speed and timing but she got through 95% of it and it set her up perfectly for Portal 2 co op.

MojoJojo