Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Wake 2

Started by AngryGazelle, September 29, 2023, 11:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Are you talking about the
Spoiler alert
guy in the general store
[close]
? Felt like I had to burn him a few times with the flashlight then unload a full pistol mag into his head to finish him.

I'm on normal mode but might switch to story if things get too difficult  just because I'm enjoying the atmosphere and storyline enough to not be arsed with having to keep going back to fight monsters that kill me. I liked just wandering around that little quirky town, some great attention to detail.

Quote from: Thursday on October 28, 2023, 01:49:08 AMI'm guessing it does get more action packed later, but it's taking a long time to get there if that's the case. 

Apparently the action does get very intense later on with the first few hours just setting the scene.

Thursday

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 28, 2023, 12:40:31 PMAre you talking about the
Spoiler alert
guy in the general store
[close]
? Felt like I had to burn him a few times with the flashlight then unload a full pistol mag into his head to finish him.

I'm on normal mode but might switch to story if things get too difficult  just because I'm enjoying the atmosphere and storyline enough to not be arsed with having to keep going back to fight monsters that kill me. I liked just wandering around that little quirky town, some great attention to detail.

Apparently the action does get very intense later on with the first few hours just setting the scene.

I meant
Spoiler alert
Nightingale
[close]
Sounds like Oggy had the same experience as me "Why isn't my flashlight doing anything? I've used all my ammo! Fuck this!"

El Unicornio, mang

Ah right. I just "hid" in the light while he went in the room with the medical box, then scarpered to the exit, got the gun from the corridor and shot him twice in the head when he came at me. Body shots seem to be pretty ineffective.

Thursday

No there's a bit later on outside.

El Unicornio, mang

Oh. Guess I haven't got to that bit yet, I'm up to the part where you have to deliver the heart to the witch and there's bad dudes in the lake

Thursday

AngryGazelle

On Hard and that boss was a pain. Cunt killed me about 7 times.

Mobius

I'm on easy mode and still struggling for ammo and torch batteries

AngryGazelle

Playing in the subway as Alan and the atmosphere is perfect.

I need to be more vigilant as a couple of the light puzzles stumped me, and they're not even difficult.

This is shaping up to be something special. My only gripe is that shooting and dodging doesn't feel great.

El Unicornio, mang

Noticed a few minor bugs. One with Alex just randomly appearing in default pose in an alleyway, another with the cop in that dark city room being stuck facing the wall a la Blair Witch Project. Although given the nature of the story they kind of unintentionally work.

Another where batteries in a box weren't able to be accessed, slightly frustrating.

Would like there to be some kind of waypoint/direction thing on screen, finding going back to the map all the time a bit annoying.

Minor gripes though, great game. Loved the
Spoiler alert
live action talk show bits
[close]

Thursday

the control choice on an Xbox Controller of Press option for mind place and hold option for map is a very odd one. Not to mention the fact that it takes a moment to load up when you want it to be instant is a bit annoying.

Also like Control the maps are... not great. Not as big a problem as it was in Control but not good in areas with lots of verticality.

chutnut

I gave in and started playing this properly last night. absolutely loving it so far, although I can imagine the case board thing getting a bit tedious eventually. They're definitely going hard on the twin peaks series 3 vibes, can almost see Gordon and Albert doing the investigation.

I did have a few bugs right at the beginning where my FBI partner kept either running away or not following me when he was supposed to, or even just completely disappearing while still having a conversation with me

chutnut

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise who the guy at the beginning is

Thursday

Yeah I had to look that up, laughed when I remembered that character. He really knows his authors.

bgmnts

Divs calling this Alan Woke obviously just made me want to buy it.

77gb mind, ooooof!

El Unicornio, mang

Small potatoes, the last game I downloaded (MW2) was 150 GB

Thursday

I keep wanting to ask how many people got to the SPOILER bit yet, but I don't want to say anything they might gave away the nature of what I'm talking about to anyone not expecting it. I've been waiting for someone else to react to it.

You'll know what I mean if you've done it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on October 30, 2023, 09:00:22 PMI keep wanting to ask how many people got to the SPOILER bit yet, but I don't want to say anything they might gave away the nature of what I'm talking about to anyone not expecting it. I've been waiting for someone else to react to it.

You'll know what I mean if you've done it.

I was literally coming to this thread to ask if someone could post a clue in spoilers. I'm not going to play the game, but everyone keeps talking about this one bit being amazing, and I'd quite like to Youtube it.

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on October 30, 2023, 09:02:28 PMI was literally coming to this thread to ask if someone could post a clue in spoilers. I'm not going to play the game, but everyone keeps talking about this one bit being amazing, and I'd quite like to Youtube it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOo9zT2_1ks&ab_channel=DoomSlayerTV

bgmnts

Cheers lads now I know something interesting happens!

(52 of 77gb)

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on October 30, 2023, 10:52:30 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOo9zT2_1ks&ab_channel=DoomSlayerTV

Interesting. Thanks. I can see why that has people talking.

Spoiler alert
Interesting idea, but also looks incredibly naff. I imagine if you were playing the game the sheer goofiness might carry it further than the terrible music and plodding execution do in a video.
[close]

C_Larence

Control's Ashtray Maze and the Alan Wake "concert" left me completely cold so I'm excited to play this soon and feel dead inside.

Mobius

This game is basically just a tv show there's not much gameplay

chutnut

I'm at the subway now, it somehow keeps getting more and more Twin Peaks (now with a bit of Inland Empire mixed in). I'm loving how the whole thing is
Spoiler alert
insanely meta. I assume Alex Casey would have been Max Payne if they still had the rights to the name. And the idea of the 2 FBI agents not even being real people is really interesting
[close]
. I'm not very far in but it's definitely the most 'next generation' thing I've played so far.
I wish the guy playing Alan would stop flailing his arms around overacting in all the live action bits but I'm still really enjoying them. The light wand thing is cool and coincidentally very similar to lords of the fallen which I was just playing.

falafel

Quote from: Kelvin on October 30, 2023, 11:23:19 PMInteresting. Thanks. I can see why that has people talking.

Spoiler alert
Interesting idea, but also looks incredibly naff. I imagine if you were playing the game the sheer goofiness might carry it further than the terrible music and plodding execution do in a video.
[close]

It's incredibly impressive and totally excruciating at the same time, which is an achievement in itself.

bgmnts

Deciding to stream this as I like the process of talking about it.

It's a fun little thing so far and fuck me it looks absolutely gorgeous.

The mind palace thing seems a bit of a dud so far though.

Thursday

I think the hamminess generally works in the context of "Alan Wake is actually a bit of crap and pretentious writer."

bgmnts

Yeah the hamminess is always welcome. Although I do find Max Payne being in this game a bit too distracting. I see the guys face and hear the voice and I just think it's Max. I keep calling him Max Payne in my head.

There's little game so far though, I hope at some point I get some game.

chutnut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 31, 2023, 04:15:54 PMAlthough I do find Max Payne being in this game a bit too distracting. I see the guys face and hear the voice and I just think it's Max. I keep calling him Max Payne in my head.

It is Max Payne isn't it? They just can't call him Max Payne anymore cause they sold the rights

bgmnts

Oh that is so sad and annoying.

Glad my internal canon is on the right track. I like that Max went from alchie policeman to alchie private security in Brazil to stable FBI agent. Quite the arc.