Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Wake 2

Started by AngryGazelle, September 29, 2023, 11:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

There's quite a good thing with him here

Mister Six

Quote from: chutnut on October 31, 2023, 04:26:57 PMIt is Max Payne isn't it? They just can't call him Max Payne anymore cause they sold the rights

Yeah, if they'd had the rights then Alan would have been writing books about Max Payne, not Alex Casey.

They should re-record all the dialogue with "Max Payne" and then patch it in if they get the rights back.

Clownbaby

This game is looking genuinely gorgeous and I can't wait to play it. Disappointed there's not a physical copy. I like having a binder full of physical discs to flick through. People keep asking "why does it matter?" whenever someone comments that they wish there was a physical release, but I get it.

chutnut

Yeah I get it too, I bought a physical copy of Bloodborne even though I already had the digital one, because it was bumming me out that I didn't own an actual copy of my favourite game

chutnut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 31, 2023, 04:49:22 PMOh that is so sad and annoying.

Yeah it's a shame, but I think they were going bust and selling Max Payne meant they could carry on making games, so worth it in the end!

Mobius

Quote from: chutnut on October 31, 2023, 02:02:29 PMI'm at the subway now

I'm on this bit too. It's pretty cool, the light changing stuff. Whole area is pretty creepy.

Feel like I'm lost or have turned myself around or need to 'change the scene' or something, like I'm just running through the same areas and not sure where I'm going.

AngryGazelle

Max Payne 1 and 2 are being remade by Remedy. Financed by Rockstar.

Completed this last night. Very good game. A touch more combat would have been nice, but I loved this.

Famous Mortimer

https://www.ign.com/articles/max-payne-1-and-2-remake-now-ready-for-production-remedy-says

(re: the comment above)

Same engine that "Control" was made in, which I'm looking forward to. Also, a multiplayer "Control" spinoff and a proper "Control" sequel coming. Excellent news!

bgmnts

Can't quite tell if I should be incredibly excited or pre-emptively gutted.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: bgmnts on November 01, 2023, 03:33:23 PMCan't quite tell if I should be incredibly excited or pre-emptively gutted.

I trust Remedy but am still cautiously optimistic.

bgmnts

Yeah Remedy have a good hit rate so fingers crossed.

Enjoying Wake myself, feels very RE4 but I suppose that's a standard set. I enjoy the case board now it's slightly more engaging than a dull UI message or a list of activities or what have you.

chutnut

I got to that bit last night
Spoiler alert
It was a pretty great wtf moment but god the music was so bad and it just kept going. Did there really need to be at least 2 false ends? It took me a while to work out the puzzle in the middle as well so it just got annoying after a while. I also groaned at Alan's *wow this is so awesome* smirk, and then at the end when he literally says "that was really good" or whatever. The talk show host guy was perfect though, think he might be my favourite character.
Alan turning around to do a bump at one point made me laugh too
[close]

bgmnts

Storywise I do find this quite baffling and Lynchian, and I barely remember the first game beyond him writing a story and fighting his dark self. Feels like it's postmodern and meta to an absurd degree, a bit Matrixy or Twin Peaky with a hint of Stephen King's The Dark Half in there.

I do love the constant references to FBC though, as dull as I found that game. Would have been ace if we could fully have Max in here proper to round out the Remedyverse. Never played Quantum Break though so could be loads of references to that too.

Mister Six

Quantum Break is part owned by Microsoft so it can't be a "proper" part of the Remedyverse, but from the looks of the trailers there's a character in there -
Spoiler alert
the talk show host
[close]
- who's a parallel universe version of Lance Reddick's character from Quantum Break. Would have been fun to see Reddick back, but reality has ruined that, hasn't it?

Thursday

There's a minor character played by Shawn Ashmore in it as well, but not his Quantum Break character. He instead plays the brilliantly named "Tim Breaker"

Mister Six

Should have been Quentin Break.

Thursday

Finished. Was good! Look forward to DLC.

madhair60

Quote from: Thursday on November 03, 2023, 10:12:17 PMFinished. Was good! Look forward to DLC.

this is the analysis i am here for

Pink Gregory

*Katey Segal voice* AAAAAAAL!

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2023, 10:05:34 AMthis is the analysis i am here for

Although I think you specifically probably won't like it much.

Mobius

I've really gotten into this now. Wanted to hate "that level" but it was pretty damn cool.

bgmnts

Game's crashed twice now - in and around coffee point, for reference - so my positive experience has been tempered every few minutes interrupted by the paranoid need to save so I don't lose progress.

As a direct comparison, I don't remember Max Payne 1 and 2, nor Control, crashing once after dozens of hours of playtime.

Either the Series X/S are not fit for purpose or games are being made badly now.

Sad really as I was really, really enjoying it.

bgmnts

Quote from: Mobius on November 04, 2023, 10:56:09 AMI've really gotten into this now. Wanted to hate "that level" but it was pretty damn cool.

This is a much, much better game, but Control's 'that level' was far cooler for me.

Also, is the guy on the phone in Wake's levels Wake's
Spoiler alert
agent Barry Wheeler? He hasn't shown up yet and can't remember if he died in the first game.
[close]

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Anyone other misers waiting for a sale or possible physical release for this? I'd like to play it, but sod paying 50/60 quid for it.

I shall wait.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on November 05, 2023, 03:52:19 PMThis is a much, much better game, but Control's 'that level' was far cooler for me.

Also, is the guy on the phone in Wake's levels Wake's
Spoiler alert
agent Barry Wheeler? He hasn't shown up yet and can't remember if he died in the first game.
[close]

Spoiler alert
He didn't die in the first game. In American Nightmare it was revealed that he ended up becoming the manager of the Old Gods of Asgard, and it's heavily implied that their new material was sung by cover artists posing as the brothers.
[close]

bgmnts

Game crashed 4 times now.

Genuinely gutted.

chutnut

Luckily didnt have any crashes (PC) and the only bug I had after the first hour or so was sometimes it would reset the resolution/render resolution when opening and I'd have to change it back.

Finished it at the weekend, bloody loved it tbh. There's a few things I realised I forgot to do (explore one area, and solve a puzzle to get a gun), but I'll probably wait for the DLC if I'm going to go back and do anything like that. Overall preferred Saga's story to Alan's one, and the case board didn't really get tedious like I thought it would. Didn't mind the lack of combat tbh, quite a lot nowadays I'll play a game and after a while the combat feels like it's getting in the way of me enjoying it rather than a reason to enjoy it, so it felt good to just explore for long periods of time

Spoiler alert
didn't like the mid credit twist though
[close]

Thursday

I had a bug a few times where I started falling through the map after I'd step through a door into a new area, but no crashes.

Also had a thing (which would happen to me with Control as well, seems like something specific to how Remedy make things) where textures are loading very very low res so you can't read posters on the walls and stuff, but it stopped happening it after I downloaded the latest Nvidia Drivers and used their "Optimized Settings."

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Thursday on November 07, 2023, 01:19:14 PMI had a bug a few times where I started falling through the map after I'd step through a door into a new area, but no crashes.

I had this when I tried to enter the map taking me to the apartment building, just watched it flying up into the sky above my head. Had to exit the game. Assuming the most recent update (8?) has fixed a lot of these things but sometimes fixes cause other issues. But it's such a highly detailed game with complex switching between worlds that I'd expect there to be bugs. Has otherwise been totally smooth.

Was glad to get out of the subway part of the game. Brilliantly rendered but I just found the whole map horribly oppressive (which I guess it's supposed to be), was a massive relief to get back into the open.

bgmnts

The crashing has made this borderline unplayable but I paid full whack for this so trudging through to the end.

Haven't reached the end yet but it probably won't be getting high praise for me. The inclusion of that eurovision musical theatre metal song in that fun level has obviously got people throwing around the word 'masterpiece' a lot but nah.