Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Started by Beagle 2, October 17, 2023, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Dusting off my Switch for this one.

The last classic 2D Mario game is Yoshi's Island for me - almost 30 years ago. Mario Maker doesn't count. I found the NSMB series dull to play and ugly to look at, it neither offered anything new or provided any sort of nostalgia hit. I just always had the sense that I could be playing a much better 2D platform game, which is criminal really for this series.

I really don't know about this either to be honest. It still looks all wrong to me, washed out and somehow characterless. I am also concerned that the 'wonder' aspect will just be a bunch of perfunctory gimmicks as you breeze through each level rather than something that facilitates puzzle solving. But, as I'll be playing it co-op with the kids, it will certainly do a job.

So, as you can tell, I am HYPED. Will you be picking this up?

kittens

looks like absolute crap and for babys so i will be getting it yes

Old Nehamkin

I never entirely warmed to New Super Mario Bros. or the following 2D Mario games that have been cut from its cloth. They always just feel a bit too pristine and rigid and creatively conservative, like they represent some kind of end-of-history terminal point for 2D Mario and what it has to look and feel like. The games themselves are still obviously very well-made and objectively "good" and I'm sure I could happily while away a few afternoons playing this one with a podcast on in the background, but it's the 3D entries that really feel like the proper frontier of the franchise to me and Nintendo seem much more willing to push the boat out in interesting new directions with those ones.

Where the fuck is the new 3d mario by the way.

bgmnts

That is the turdiest looking moustache I've ever seen. I like it.

Video Game Fan 2000

what i want is mario levels that are inventive and pure as NSMB U but with some visual and presentational flair, im not asking SMB3 or something to compete with Tropical Freeze, but just something in the spirit of 80s and 90s mario

im looking forward to this but there are so many good 2D platformers now its hard to stand out. i do like the idea of something thats refined and technical but without Celeste/Garlic style dash gimmicks or bouncing and dodge rolling. just good levels, good powers without precision platforming gimmicks or metroidvania-isms

for 3D ideally i want just Mario Odyssey again but make all the worlds interconnected so there's more point to the exploration - break a damn in the mountain and it raises the river in the valley, get a map in a castle and find treasure on the beach kinda stuff.

an fucking remaster galaxy 2 you cunts its the best one!!!

Beagle 2

I played through Odyssey again recently and found it a pretty dull experience. I loved it the first time around, but it just all felt a bit empty and floaty this time. I get that it's about exploration and experimentation, but compared to Mario 64 which I replayed in the interim there's so much strolling about in zero jeopardy and all progress felt steady and one-paced. I don't want the challenge factor to just be collectables, I do actually want it to be tough and breathless at points. Bowser's Fury I really liked if they could take it in that direction, but it did feel like it struggled to run.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 17, 2023, 12:03:25 PMan fucking remaster galaxy 2 you cunts its the best one!!!

Eeee I'm bloody stuck on this on the Steam Deck on the level that needs gyro controls :-(

Garam

The preinstalled levels on Mario Maker 2 were great. This looks ok but I don't understand where all the cumming about it being a revolution is coming from. Just looks like another NSMB to me

madhair60

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 17, 2023, 12:03:25 PMan fucking remaster galaxy 2 you cunts its the best one!!!

is it fuck. remaster it by removing the entire last two dog shit worlds full of godawful shit like fucking Crash Bandicoot sliding into the screen. jesus christ. i got the 120th Star the other day and the game then wanted me to get 120 more. i just laughed and took the disc out forever. easily the worst mainline Mario game.

madhair60

Beagle 2 genuinely sitting there playing NSMB games and Odyssey and going "this is boring", and thinking that makes them look discerning or something. if you don't like NSMB you don't like games and you're no longer allowed to play them. DO ONE.

madhair60

sorry for being a rude little scrote. i am genuinely baffled by the idea of any of the NSMB series being dull. it's like 350 levels of 2D Mario genius made by artisans. the last one was the best 2D Mario ever made. it made Mario World look like shit, mostly because I replayed Mario World recently and it is in fact a bit shit in places. but i am saving my exposé of Mario World for another time because the world isn't ready for my Truth.

Beagle 2

Well, I hope I love Wonder and it inspires me to go back and give them another crack. You must admit they look like shit though. Should be much bolder and cuter. Like my ARSE.

Garam

The worst 3d Mario is sunshine or super Mario 3d world you fool

I'm with madhair on this. Fed up of people talking shit about NSMB because it's the accepted wisdom. They don't have to be bigger and better every time, just good. Loved all the NSMB games, especially 2, the one everyone else universally agrees is shit. The coins gimmick is fucking brilliant.

"Oh, but it doesn't play like a proper Mario game should, the level design and moveset are nerfed to accommodate all the coin collecting."

FUCKING EXACTLY, MATE. THAT'S WHY IT'S SO GOOD. MAYBE JUST TOSS YOSHI'S ISLAND, WARIO LAND AND DONKEY KONG 94 ON THE FUCKING SHIT PILE AND ALL, SEEING AS THEY AREN'T SUPER MARIO WORLD REMADE OVER AND OVER AGAIN LIKE YOU FUCKING WANT, YOU RIGID EXPECTATIONS PIECE OF FUCK. AND METROID FUSION IS THE BEST METROID, SO SHOVE THAT UP YOUR ARSE-CUNT AS WELL, CHEERS.

Seeing people already moaning that Wonder doesn't have a flying or gliding mechanic. As if the levels won't be designed around those limitations. FUCKING BEHAVE.

Quote from: Garam on October 17, 2023, 02:26:33 PMThe worst 3d Mario is sunshine or super Mario 3d world you fool

FUCKING HELL.

madhair60

Quote from: Garam on October 17, 2023, 02:26:33 PMThe worst 3d Mario is sunshine or super Mario 3d world you fool

super mario 3D world is one of the best games ever made. this post made me want to kill myself. i must stay out of this thread and its stupid lies

madhair60

huxley babkins is my new CaB pal

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: madhair60 on October 17, 2023, 01:48:52 PMeasily the worst mainline Mario game.

worst thing youve ever posted

"citizen kane is boring" tier opinion

Mario Galaxy 2 is a masterpiece and the last 120 stars are the most fun i had with a videogame since i was in primary school

Quote from: madhair60 on October 17, 2023, 01:56:01 PMsorry for being a rude little scrote. i am genuinely baffled by the idea of any of the NSMB series being dull. it's like 350 levels of 2D Mario genius made by artisans. the last one was the best 2D Mario ever made. it made Mario World look like shit, mostly because I replayed Mario World recently and it is in fact a bit shit in places. but i am saving my exposé of Mario World for another time because the world isn't ready for my Truth.

SMW has genius physics and the best power up ever put into a game (cape not yoshi) but its obviously rushed and the levels are half cack. suffers majorly from them gutting the rpg and adventure elements but leaving in the surface features of them, so the game seems zombified like there's a whole seperate layer of interactivity thats missing. it also introduces the "can u get 100%" quantification which i hate. SMB3 is a magical sandbox where you do whatever you want and stop when you're bored. SMW introduced nintendo being little box ticking yappy dog bureacratic cunts about secrets YOU HAVE TO FIND THEM ALL TO MAKE THE NUMBER PERFECT the "margaret thatcher becomes leader of the conservative party" moment in videogame history when everything was set on a path to being boringer. thankfully odyssey and botw reversed this trend after years of 100% completionist piss

NSMB U is joyous but the presentation is so antiseptic. especially compared to 3D World which crackles with a sense of fun and character

Beagle 2

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 17, 2023, 02:31:02 PMThey don't have to be bigger and better every time, just good.

Yeah, but it's not that they're the same old shit as old 2D Mario, just that they're same old shit that was in the original NSMB on the DS, which I thought was wholly underwhelming.

madhair60

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 17, 2023, 02:39:41 PMworst thing youve ever posted

"citizen kane is boring" tier opinion

Mario Galaxy 2 is a masterpiece and the last 120 stars are the most fun i had with a videogame since i was in primary school

SMW has genius physics and the best power up ever put into a game (cape not yoshi) but its obviously rushed and the levels are half cack. suffers majorly from them gutting the rpg and adventure elements but leaving in the surface features of them, so the game seems zombified like there's a whole seperate layer of interactivity thats missing. it also introduces the "can u get 100%" quantification which i hate. SMB3 is a magical sandbox where you do whatever you want and stop when you're bored. SMW introduced nintendo being little box ticking yappy dog bureacratic cunts about secrets YOU HAVE TO FIND THEM ALL TO MAKE THE NUMBER PERFECT the "margaret thatcher becomes leader of the conservative party" moment in videogame history when everything was set on a path to being boringer. thankfully odyssey and botw reversed this trend after years of 100% completionist piss

NSMB U is joyous but the presentation is so antiseptic. especially compared to 3D World which crackles with a sense of fun and character

it's interesting how much we agree on how Mario World ruined platform games yet do not reach a consensus on Galaxy 2

i will credit it that those first four worlds are fucking banging. world class shit. then it just is like, here's the dregs we cut out of the first game. fight all the bosses from 1 again. now do it on a timer. now get 120 green stars that are just sort of... there. no thanks!

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 17, 2023, 02:31:02 PM. Loved all the NSMB games, especially 2, the one everyone else universally agrees is shit. The coins gimmick is fucking brilliant.

i think its hated because we've never had a proper new Wario since 4 - and now here's Mario and Luigi collecting coins in a gross swamp like greedy bastards. disappointing, like a job being taken from your best mate and given to the boss's son. the levels where you're pelting through colecting coins like sonic are great.

i like them all except the first which is just far too easy. its a great game in design but its just too simple, and the mini mushroom is wasted on it. i dont like how the "game" part of the original NSMB 1 is mainly collecting the secret coins and not reaching the exit. opposite to what a mario should be for me - secrets should be fun and optional things to discover, not mandatory as 100%ing is the real goal of the game. NSMB Wii reversed this and is mint as a result. the secret of a good mario is the difference between needing to 100% to officially finish it and actually wanting to see everything the game has to offer. NSMB U is the pinacle. I got all the secrets without consciously trying. the game made me want to keep doing its challenges. at no point did i feel like i was hunting cheevos.

Garam

3d world was a baby game. The lot of you can absolutely get fucked

madhair60

come back when you've full cleared Champion's Road an tell me it's a baby game, piss breath

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 17, 2023, 02:48:21 PMYeah, but it's not that they're the same old shit as old 2D Mario, just that they're same old shit that was in the original NSMB on the DS, which I thought was wholly underwhelming.

But they aren't, are they?

NSMB Wii adds flying, powers, gradients and multiplayer. It's the SMB3 to NSMB's back-to-basics SMB1.

NSMB2 emphasises collection and speed.

NSMBU is the sequel to Super Mario World that everyone keeps going on about wanting, so what happens? Nintendo finally relent and give people what they want and everyone dismisses it because the art style is bland and the Goombas go ba-ba. Can't fucking win with these pricks.

Video Game Fan 2000

the style of NSMB *was* a big mistake though. it works for the Wii one because SMB3 had that slightly chunky look anyway, and its concept art had that kind of generic mascot quality. i think everyone remembers how well defined and simple SMB3 design was - the minimal box art is a peerless image of its era. the desert levels and some of the enemies (Spike and Pokey stand out) look great to me.

Nintendos ambitions to be videogame disney make a bad match for platform games, which are made out of tiles and familiar pieces and simple characters with looping animations. its a natural assumption to make that what works in cartoons works for platform games but the mascot era showed it doesnt usually, fucking Cuphead's scrolling levels prove it today. Tropical Freeze is overrated in comparison to NSMB U but it really shows exactly the level of presentation needed to make a platform game stand out - the sound design, the animations, the environments, depth and mood. i dont see why Nintendo couldnt have elevated NSMB in a similar way - I also don't get why people say NSMB games look "cheap". they look the opposite of cheap, they look like billion dollar entertainment properties focus grouped and polished to a mirror shine. id love nintendo to put the same level of effort into more creative presentation for a 2D Mario - holding out hope Wonder could be that, the need to reinstate Mario as king of platformers after the movie gives me hope it'll be special.

Beagle 2

fit bird

mario says wowie zowie in this. cunt.

Beagle 2

By the way, this is 25% off at Curries if you preorder.

Mister Six

None of them are as good as Sonic 2.

Critcho

I find the naming conventions of 2D Mario games after the 90's unnecessarily confusing. They're not even new!

Haven't played any of them so, being unjaded, I should be quite up for this new one, but there's something about the visual style that doesn't appeal to me at all. Compared to the pseudo-handdrawn artistry of a Yoshi's Island, this looks more like a garish CGI cartoon.

brat-sampson

Best 2D Mario since World apparently. Which was probably the last one I bought, in the form of Mario Advance 2.