Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Started by Beagle 2, October 17, 2023, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

NSMB for the DS was decent. I finally got around to playing NSMB2 for the first time last year and was pretty underwhelmed. It was essentially just more DS levels with very few new ideas other than the pointless coin-collecting gimmick, which, after wasting hours of my life to reach the 1 million coin milestone, led to nothing other than a 'well done' message (which was scoffed at, and then the game was switched off forever)

madhair60

best 2D Mario since NSMBU, because World is a bit cunt and full of boring, empty levels and autoscrollers

buntyman

Looking forward to playing this over the weekend. I enjoyed the other 'new' Super Mario 2D games but don't think I got to the end of any of them, unlike with the 3D ones. There's always a lot of talk about the multiplayer modes in these games that I've never really considered playing, partly because I'm too old to be asking friends for a game but also, I don't really see 2D scrolling platformers being very suited to multiple players. Am I missing out?

Kelvin

Quote from: buntyman on October 18, 2023, 10:33:06 PMLooking forward to playing this over the weekend. I enjoyed the other 'new' Super Mario 2D games but don't think I got to the end of any of them, unlike with the 3D ones. There's always a lot of talk about the multiplayer modes in these games that I've never really considered playing, partly because I'm too old to be asking friends for a game but also, I don't really see 2D scrolling platformers being very suited to multiple players. Am I missing out?

I played through New Super Mario Bros Wii with friends, over a long weekend. Which is probably why that's the only game in that series I particularly like.

It's always a bit cluttered playing those games multiplayer, really. Small platforms, very little space for everyone. You end up bouncing around and off each other in a way that is only amusing for about thirty minutes, then increasingly annoying for another ten hours. Especially as you try to survive through harder levels, with tougher timing.

I think this new game has made it so you don't bump into each other, which on balance is probably better overall. 

Quote from: Kelvin on October 18, 2023, 10:50:04 PMI played through New Super Mario Bros Wii with friends, over a long weekend. Which is probably why that's the only game in that series I particularly like.

It's always a bit cluttered playing those games multiplayer, really. Small platforms, very little space for everyone. You end up bouncing around and off each other in a way that is only amusing for about thirty minutes, then increasingly annoying for another ten hours. Especially as you try to survive through harder levels, with tougher timing.

I think this new game has made it so you don't bump into each other, which on balance is probably better overall. 

Boring! It's amusing to deliberately make someone fall to their death and then refuse to pop their bubble.

I enjoyed the gameplay on the NSMB games but found the presentation dull as fuck.

I've said this before, but I wish they'd taken inspiration from Cuphead and done it in a hand drawn cartoony style.

madhair60

ok guys. i'm trying to get this star coin, ok? guys? you need to stop. guys you need to stop. guys. this is - i want to get this star coin. ok? guys, come on. guys, stop.

Kelvin

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on October 19, 2023, 09:38:34 AMBoring! It's amusing to deliberately make someone fall to their death and then refuse to pop their bubble.

It's amusing to deliberately make someone fall to their death and then refuse to pop their bubble. For half an hour.

Pull down the blinds. I'm refusing to pop someone's bubble. For an hour.

Milo

Woo, delivery arrived early. My poorly son seems pleased with it.

Beagle 2

I'm pretty gosh darn excited now I've read the reviews.

Beagle 2

Ah great stuff, DPD don't have my parcel yet and for some reason have my name down as a "Mr Male", which as pseudonyms go seems on the lazy side.

YES THIS IS HE MR MALE OF MAN ROAD

Pink Gregory

I'm not allowed to play til christmas because Ms. Gregory was annoyed that I bought it for myself :(

Beagle 2

You need to man up like Mr Male over here with his man's pubes and copy of Mario that has probably ended up in Indonesia.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 19, 2023, 01:56:26 PMI'm not allowed to play til christmas because Ms. Gregory was annoyed that I bought it for myself :(

Tell her that I said it was alright for you to play it immediately.

Magnum Valentino

Can anyone link me til a review, preferably written rather than recorded, that won't make me hate the reviewer.

@madhair60 do you still do this semi-pro for a Nintendo mag, I didn't imagine that did I?

madhair60

yeah but i haven't played it yet

here's a review based on trusted mate: it's fucking banging

Milo

Enjoying it so far. Like the way multi player works - there's a lead character that the camera follows, you get to take the lead if you get higher on an end level pole.

I am not at work tomorrow, yet I want to play this with my wife and/or kids who will be at work/school.

If it gets delivered early will I hold off on playing? Doubtful.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 19, 2023, 02:34:37 PMCan anyone link me til a review, preferably written rather than recorded, that won't make me hate the reviewer.

@madhair60 do you still do this semi-pro for a Nintendo mag, I didn't imagine that did I?

the review is up on Eurogamer so far

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 19, 2023, 02:16:57 PMTell her that I said it was alright for you to play it immediately.

They ask me to ask you "Who or what is a Huxleys?"

Sounds like trust issues. I'd bin her off if I were you.

Pink Gregory

yesssss just me and Elephant Mario against the world!

Kelvin

Goddamn this game is gorgeous. The trailers didnt do it justice.

madhair60

it's (very) early days but the little bit I played last night was not that promising. Where are the secrets?! :(

brat-sampson

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2023, 09:18:56 AMit's (very) early days but the little bit I played last night was not that promising. Where are the secrets?! :(
Not the game's fault you can't find them

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2023, 09:18:56 AMit's (very) early days but the little bit I played last night was not that promising. Where are the secrets?! :(

I've only played 4-5 levels so far, but my initial thoughts were that it feels and plays very unlike previous Mario games - which is jarring. For a start, the physics feel slightly different than any recent 2D Mario; jumping on enemies, jump height, etc.

And as you say, the levels feel more linear, with fewer secrets. 

The wonder flowers are great so far, and may make up for the more linear structure... but it definitely feels like a new type of Mario game in the first few levels. Personally, I'm fine with that, so long as it maintains this level of creativity.

Chairman Yang

It's like... half weird little mini-games and half indie platformer dog shit. Fun though, for the most part.

madhair60

hello this is fucking brilliant. those first few levels get you in a false sense of security and then, jesus christ, and then

Magnum Valentino

Lethal. I've a copy sitting OVER THERE but the childer needs put to sleep fore I can have a go.

DocDaneeka

Absolute bullshit you can be yellow and blue Toad but not red.