Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA 6

Started by Jim_MacLaine, November 08, 2023, 02:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on January 26, 2024, 01:53:13 PMthe cops will pull you over for driving infractions/dui which could be fun

Oh god, you think so? Sounds like more GTAIV tollbooth-style "realistic" crap getting in the way of the game to me. Or supplanting the game. Being a criminal in real life is high-risk and stressful, which is why only desperate people and fuck-ups actually do it. And that's why being able to consciously manage your wanted level by only triggering the cops when you did something really crazy was actually fun, because it allowed you to engage with what is supposed to be an escapist game in a way that you actually wanted to.

Who wants to have to drive across a massive map to their next side-mission starting point while strictly adhering to the rules of the road, lest they get pulled over and have to wait 5 minutes for an unnecessarily detailed cutscene to play out before they can start driving again?

If this stuff only happens within missions, or can be turned off in the wider game world or something, then sure - whatever. But having to endure tens or hundreds of hours of real-world-aping bullshit to get to the actual fun bits sounds aggravating.

I wish Rockstar would stop making big lists of side stuff to laboriously implement and spend that time researching how to make a fun game.

(By which I mean I wish they would go back to catering for me, obviously.)

popcorn

I once worked on a open-world """"""AAA"""""""" game in which the cops were so fucking stringent you'd set off alarms for so much as going through a red light. It was incredibly tiresome. The design lead's solution? Let the player teleport to the next mission instead of going through the city, thereby making most of the open world completely redundant.

Mister Six

Genius. Did it actually get released like that?

popcorn

Happily, it did not get released at all 😎

Mister Six

Brass Moustache

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 26, 2024, 12:22:43 PMMake it easier? Surely it's piss to evade them even on 3 stars.

One thing I didn't understand in 5 was why they took away the roaming police. In 4 they'd drive around amongst the traffic, if they clocked you doing something they'd react. But in 5, you never see them until they are activated, then they are suddenly dotted around. It breaks the effect a little.
I mean its annoying when you commit a crime but theres not a cop in sight. Or even a witness. You could murder some rando out in the middle of nowhere away from the sight of rubbernecks and it automatically triggers a one or two star wanted rating.
At the very least the wanted system should be context sensitive according to how far you are from civilisation.
In the real life cops dont have a constant monitoring of every square inch so it breaks the immersion when this happens.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Brass Moustache on January 26, 2024, 08:20:37 PMI mean its annoying when you commit a crime but theres not a cop in sight. Or even a witness. You could murder some rando out in the middle of nowhere away from the sight of rubbernecks and it automatically triggers a one or two star wanted rating.
At the very least the wanted system should be context sensitive according to how far you are from civilisation.
In the real life cops dont have a constant monitoring of every square inch so it breaks the immersion when this happens.

I'd agree with this and I suppose it leans into the roleplay idea as well. Definitely a different approach than mission-mission-mission will be welcome.

Brass Moustache

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 26, 2024, 09:08:49 PMI'd agree with this and I suppose it leans into the roleplay idea as well. Definitely a different approach than mission-mission-mission will be welcome.
if they wanted to be uber detailed they should make it if you waste the civillian with a mobile trying to grass you up it prevents the wanted rating.
Konami was able to acheive a similar mechanic with MGS3 on PS2  (you could shoot the radio out of a soviet soldiers hand to prevent a alert) which was 2004 so theres no friggin reason for not having similar in this generation.

VelourSpirit

The system in RDR2 is good. You get an alert that someone's witnessed your crime and you can chase them down and attempt to threaten them into silence. They'll actually run towards the nearest law enforcement, which could be so far away that they don't even reach it before you escape.

This brings me back to my aforementioned wish to be able to steal an npc's phone and throw it into the sea

druss

Quote from: VelourSpirit on January 27, 2024, 07:08:23 PMThe system in RDR2 is good. You get an alert that someone's witnessed your crime and you can chase them down and attempt to threaten them into silence. They'll actually run towards the nearest law enforcement, which could be so far away that they don't even reach it before you escape.

This brings me back to my aforementioned wish to be able to steal an npc's phone and throw it into the sea
I reckon they will implement something similar.