Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA 6

Started by Jim_MacLaine, November 08, 2023, 02:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Can't wait to steal a fanboat. I'm assuming there'll be fanboats.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 11, 2023, 08:52:46 AMI really hope they mix up the structure around missions. I don't wanna drive to the mission with some gobby fucker yapping in my ear for ten minutes.
I thought with V they had a half-decent idea with the heists, where you met up to plan the approach and who you were going to recruit. It was just enough to make you feel a little like you were having some say on events.

Never bothered with GTA online because, well, I don't like online stuff, and I tried to like RDRD2 but couldn't get with that much because a bit part of the appeal (for me) of GTA is being able to just drive around with tunes on, and maybe something happens.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on November 12, 2023, 05:39:31 PM"gonna be shit as usual", jesus christ. genuinely got sad when i read that.

Don't shoot the messenger. :(

samadriel

I'm guessing they'll do the usual 18 month wait, or however long it was,  to release it on PC, like a pack of fucking idiots. I can't think of any other company that still does that piracy-paranoid shit. Just take our fucking money.

beanheadmcginty

As a tradition going back to the PS2 and San Andreas, I always buy a new console when the new GTA comes out. So I'm looking forward to getting one of these PS5s everyone's been banging on about the past couple of years.

AngryGazelle

I'm looking forward to this. I think it has the potential to be the best open world we've seen, so far.

Wanted to add that Rockstar have apparently cleaned up the 'bro' culture in the workplace, and will be more sensitive and not punch down against marginalised groups within the game.

Thursday

There's going to be some awful culture war debates around this game.

VelourSpirit

QDRPHNC

I'm hoping that Rockstar ditches the shitty edgelord humour of GTA5, but at the same time dreading the tsunami of "GTA has gone woke" complaints from people who confuse shitty edgelord humour with being hard and street and cool.

Still though, I think this should put the old "go woke go broke" thing to the test. Clearly, if Rockstar have misjudged the wishes of the silent majority, this should sink them.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 13, 2023, 07:58:47 PMI'm hoping that Rockstar ditches the shitty edgelord humour of GTA5, but at the same time dreading the tsunami of "GTA has gone woke" complaints from people who confuse shitty edgelord humour with being hard and street and cool.

Still though, I think this should put the old "go woke go broke" thing to the test. Clearly, if Rockstar have misjudged the wishes of the silent majority, this should sink them.

Same; more RDR2 and less GTA V in the storytelling, please.

Apparently there has been a big culture shift at Rockstar but we will have to wait and see.

tdurbo

Quote from: AngryGazelle on November 14, 2023, 12:54:07 PMSame; more RDR2 and less GTA V in the storytelling, please.

This. A thousand times this. RDR2 criminally wasted the whole RDR1 part of the map.

I'd take ANY single-player expansion, whether that's in RDR or GTA world, but we all know that's not gonna happen while ever people spend cash on Online. They should realise that probably 95% of buyers would happily spend a chunk of additional cash on good SP DLC,

When was the last time, Gay Tony?

C_Larence

Quote from: tdurbo on November 15, 2023, 04:54:20 AMWhen was the last time, Gay Tony?

Undead Nightmare for RDR, which I remember loving.

Critcho

Remember the dream that two rounds of DLC would add the other two San Andreas cities to V, thus explaining why the entire north two thirds of the map don't really lead anywhere?

Jim_MacLaine

Reminder of what features are expected to be included (from the leaks)

Noodle Lizard

So it's definitely set in Miami, not Kettering? Won't be buying.

Fishfinger

I'm curious about how GTA 6 Online might play out after so many years of tech creep in GTA 5. Early in 2017 the smartest purchases were an armoured Kuruma car and a Buzzard attack helicopter. Neither were overpowered and could certainly be countered, but they weren't trivial to buy, either. They were great for contact missions, the basic businesses, and daily objectives. You could also spend $4m on a Ruiner for the best tracking missiles ever, but that was a fuckload of dosh and it was a classic glass cannon. Today all of those things are a button press away from even registering as a threat. I strongly suspect that people's GTA 5 Online accounts are going to have a route into the new game. It's too much the cash cow, and I really think it won't be the same kind of fun, certainly not a level playing field.

Thursday

It is a very tricky call for Rockstar, they wouldn't want to split the audience for the games, some people will be very attached to the gta 5 characters they've built over the years, but if that stuff carries over then it's very alienating for new people.

I'm sure that's why they're almost hesitant to do GTA6. It potentially just sabotages the money they're making from 5.

Fishfinger

^ Yep, why I think for many of us GTA 6 will be a fun solo story game and worthy of a purchase, but god knows what the online version is going to be. I can't imagine they'll do a reset. Doing that would be the most fun as far as I'm concerned, but not good for the bean counters.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 16, 2023, 10:46:10 PMSo it's definitely set in Miami, not Kettering? Won't be buying.

James Acaster will be devastated.

Mister Six

Quote from: Fishfinger on November 19, 2023, 06:21:36 PM^ Yep, why I think for many of us GTA 6 will be a fun solo story game and worthy of a purchase, but god knows what the online version is going to be. I can't imagine they'll do a reset. Doing that would be the most fun as far as I'm concerned, but not good for the bean counters.

Separate servers for people who want to start new/over?

Jim_MacLaine

Why allow players to import tooled-up online characters into 6 when you can keep the money rolling in online for both 5 and 6?

Garam

Yeah I imagine they'll just keep GTA 5 and 6 both online. 5 will eventually trickle down as people migrate to 5 and then they'll eventually shut it down in 2035 or something

AngryGazelle

I'm replaying RDR2 and if GTA 6's single player is up to that standard then ill be very happy indeed.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on November 19, 2023, 11:42:25 PMWhy allow players to import tooled-up online characters into 6 when you can keep the money rolling in online for both 5 and 6?
I hope it's just something like a t-shirt that says "I logged X hours of GTA 5 Online" that you can use on your GTA 6 online person.

I wonder what financial lessons they'll have learned from their untethered-to-reality inflation. A $20 Shark Card will get you halfway to the amount of money you'll need to buy a Krieger, and that's not even the most expensive vehicle in the game. Even the crappy cars are a million or so, and unless you're doing Cayo Perico twice a day or get extremely lucky with your business sales, you're not affording many of them very quickly either.

My one hope is they incorporate some of the stuff from FiveM, with "official" RP or something. Wider variety of jobs, less fuckwits flying around bombing everyone, that sort of thing. 

letsgobrian

If they do take GTA 6 online, I'm hoping they have designed it with that in mind rather than forcing an online experience onto a single player game.

Red Dead Online was an absolute disaster on that front, as it seemed every time they made the most minor update to the open world it had some unintended catastrophic effect on the game.

LurkMcGee

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a wee bit excited, but then comes the worry of the plot, overall writing in the game with one of the Housers being gone and well, the overall game.

Could you imagine it's an online experience only? No story? That would be funny or shit, or funny and shit.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: LurkMcGee on November 23, 2023, 04:47:25 PMCould you imagine it's an online experience only? No story? That would be funny or shit, or funny and shit.

I'd be gutted if that were the case.

RD2 shows Rockstar can write a decent story, though.

Houser leaving could be bad or might be a blessing in disguise - maybe the edgelord stuff will go with him.

Apparently Rockstar are having a culture shift in the workplace.

letsgobrian

Quote from: AngryGazelle on November 23, 2023, 05:09:27 PMHouser leaving could be bad or might be a blessing in disguise - maybe the edgelord stuff will go with him.

From GTA Online, it seems to have gone with him. In addition to the new writing being less edgelord-y, they also edited out pre-existing transphobic material in the 2022 summer update.

Drug Wars is probably the update where the changes are most obvious, as it feels like it was originally intended for Trevor in the way the The Contract was for Franklin. But with no Steven Ogg, you get Dax, a Juggalo themed replacement for Trevor. And while he's also obnoxious, it's done with a sense of camaraderie rather then a constant threat of violence.

LurkMcGee

Quote from: AngryGazelle on November 23, 2023, 05:09:27 PMI'd be gutted if that were the case.

RD2 shows Rockstar can write a decent story, though.

Houser leaving could be bad or might be a blessing in disguise - maybe the edgelord stuff will go with him.

Apparently Rockstar are having a culture shift in the workplace.

This could be interesting, to be fair.

I need to go back and play through RDR2. Criminal to say, but stopped at some point. Probably busy with boring stuff.

Flouncer

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 12, 2023, 07:54:35 PMMy only reservation is the location - Los Santos is so good because it blends mountains, desert, city and water so seamlessly, whereas the Vice City setting could well be a lot more one-note. Although the idea of zipping around the Keys sounds fun. Anyway, like GTA5 before it, this will probably be the reason I upgrade to the current gen of XBox.

A while ago - and I haven't heard anything about it for ages so it might turn out to be bollocks - there were reports that Rockstar intend to add other areas and cities to the map throughout the life of the game, and were developing the tech to allow online players to seamlessly move between servers for the added zones.