Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA 6

Started by Jim_MacLaine, November 08, 2023, 02:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Depends how ambitious they wanted to be, but potentially you'd have ocean/seaside, pedestrianised shopping precincts, bigger city centre, retirement homes/mansions, suburbs, forests, swamps... if they wanted to get fancy and bend geography a bit they could add a Disney World-style resort and a New Orleans-knockoff second city (in the same way that Las Vegas isn't in California but Las Venturas was in PS2 San Andreas).

All you'd really be missing out on from San Andreas is elevated land, because Florida is flat as fuck, but I guess again they could mess with geography further out from the coast. Probably can't justify a Mount Chiliad though.

Guessing more extreme weather - maybe hurricanes/extreme rain - could be brought in for variety? Would love it if they had the balls to do a Just Cause 4 and throw in twisters, but that's probably too much effort.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Flouncer on November 29, 2023, 12:00:57 AMA while ago - and I haven't heard anything about it for ages so it might turn out to be bollocks - there were reports that Rockstar intend to add other areas and cities to the map throughout the life of the game, and were developing the tech to allow online players to seamlessly move between servers for the added zones.

Yeah, I read a bit about this. Apparently one of the advantages is it means you won't be limited to, say, 30 players per session. Because you will move seamlessly across servers as you traverse the map, you might have 20 plays in one section, 30 players in the next, etc. Seems like a good way of making the world more alive, but I'm struggling to imagine how it'll work if you having a bit of a fight with one player and they transported to a different server when they cross some invisible line on the map.

AngryGazelle

First trailer dropping on Tuesday.

Fishfinger

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I hope the radio stations are better. The music in 5 was absolute dog piss.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 01, 2023, 05:14:21 PMI hope the radio stations are better. The music in 5 was absolute dog piss.

You're a madman! Cruising down through the Hollywood Hills, mowing down civilians as the sun began to set while Pure Shores played on Non Stop Pop is my defining GTA5 memory.

GTA V radio stations were hit and miss for me, but Radio Los Santos and East Los FM got a lot of play. Hood Gone Love It is perfect driving music.

QDRPHNC

I have the radio default to off. Therefore it took me years to realize Danny McBride is one of the DJs. There's lots of good music, lots of bad music too though.

Utter Shit

Quote from: clingfilm portent on December 02, 2023, 04:52:36 PMGTA V radio stations were hit and miss for me, but Radio Los Santos and East Los FM got a lot of play. Hood Gone Love It is perfect driving music.
There was another hip-hop track that was fantastic, it had a sort of hazy, dreamlike (actually more nightmarelike) beat and the hook said something like "they wanna share my light".

EDIT: Ab Soul - Illuminate. Perfect for cruising round the city at night.

The Culture Bunker

GTA5 got me into the Chain Gang of 1974, who are great, though I probably listened to the classic rock station (DJ Kenny Loggins) more than any other.

Jim_MacLaine

Giles Peterson's Worldwide FM is my goto radio station. The Perfect soundtrack for driving along the Pacific Coast Highway.

I'm guessing GTA 6 isn't going to be set in the 80's judging by the new protagonists which to be honest does devalue the location hugely for me.

I hope I'm wrong.

QDRPHNC

Another leak at the eleventh hour. If the rumours of how it got out are true, that's a bad situation.

I was not above taking a look however.

Spoiler alert
Whatever city was being shown looked huge, like a much denser Los Santos going all the way to Mt. Chilead.
[close]

Mister Six

What are the rumours?

C_Larence

Quote from: Mister Six on December 03, 2023, 04:12:13 AMWhat are the rumours?

Allegedly the co-head of Rockstar North's son's friend leaked it on tiktok. It's just a 6 second clip of a debug menu and blurry cityscape. He also said something about the layout, nothing particularly interesting.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: C_Larence on December 03, 2023, 05:47:07 AMnothing particularly interesting.

Agree it wasn't much, but seeing the scale of (presumably) Vice City got me excited. There are some maps floating around based on the previous, bigger leak, so looking at the city relative to that, it's going to be huge.

mobias

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on November 08, 2023, 02:49:23 PMThe game is set in Vice City, a fictional Miami last seen in 2006's GTA: Vice City Stories, and will feature the series' first female protagonist.

The game is initially set in Vice City but the full game apparently has at least 5 cities covering east to west coast US. The rumour about pretty much every building being enterable is true. The big feature is that every building in the game has a fully fleshed out interior to explore and create gameplay in. Everything is apparently now very dynamic. No more heavily scripted missions.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: mobias on December 03, 2023, 08:21:33 PMThe game is initially set in Vice City but the full game apparently has at least 5 cities covering east to west coast US. The rumour about pretty much every building being enterable is true. The big feature is that every building in the game has a fully fleshed out interior to explore and create gameplay in. Everything is apparently now very dynamic. No more heavily scripted missions.

I was hoping you would show up. Does your mate still work for Rockstar?

mobias

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on December 03, 2023, 08:35:16 PMI was hoping you would show up. Does your mate still work for Rockstar?

Yeah I know a few people there. I'm a bit suspicious of the very recent leak story, though It may have some kernels of truth to it. However I think some people at Rockstar probably thought it was a matter of if and not when with all the development from home stuff going on. I suspect they'll bring that to an end fairly sharpish now.

I still don't know much about GTA6 and I'm no longer a console gamer so it'll be a while until I get to play it on PC anyway but I know RDR2 has a lot of clues has to certain ideas that are in GTA6. It was a bit of a test bed by the sounds of things. Certainly from the map point of view, plus all the AI generated interiors.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: mobias on December 03, 2023, 08:21:33 PMThe game is initially set in Vice City but the full game apparently has at least 5 cities covering east to west coast US.

That would fit in with a 'Bonnie and Clyde-esque' cross country adventure which does sound intriguing.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I bet some young man is going to have a very sore bottom in the morning.

Queen Peach

Mobius

Quote from: mobias on December 03, 2023, 08:21:33 PMThe game is initially set in Vice City but the full game apparently has at least 5 cities covering east to west coast US. The rumour about pretty much every building being enterable is true. The big feature is that every building in the game has a fully fleshed out interior to explore and create gameplay in. Everything is apparently now very dynamic. No more heavily scripted missions.

holy shit

This sounds like Starfield but replace the AI generated planets with AI interiors. Intrigued if it's a more linear cross country adventure or if they're going to push it as a sandbox where you endlessly have to fast travel/catch flights between the different cities to complete missions/build homes/run businesses etc.

falafel

I for one am thrilled at the concept of having thousands of procgen open plan offices to explore. I hope the multiplayer lets you rent office space and make slides in a satirically rebranded powerpoint and have virtual videoconferences in glass-walled meeting rooms with barely functioning internet and take self conscious shits in toilet cubicles with uncomfortably large gaps under the door

Utter Shit

Sounds incredible and even more impressive than any of the "255,000 things we're hoping to see in GTA6" listicles have mentioned, but I suppose it makes sense if you consider the scale of RDR2, and then the relative budgets, workforces and years of development, plus the improvements in technology since RDR2 came out.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: falafel on December 04, 2023, 11:52:18 AMI for one am thrilled at the concept of having thousands of procgen open plan offices to explore. I hope the multiplayer lets you rent office space and make slides in a satirically rebranded powerpoint and have virtual videoconferences in glass-walled meeting rooms with barely functioning internet and take self conscious shits in toilet cubicles with uncomfortably large gaps under the door
A QTE to see if you can fart when there's no-one within earshot

QDRPHNC

I've been wondering how Rockstar feel about some of the AI tech demos that have shown up the last year or so, where you can walk up to an NPC and have a relatively realistic conversation with them. Given that that sort of technology is still in it's early days and showed up relatively late in the development of GTA6, I wonder if they've taken any steps to either have it in the game from launch or at least laid some groundwork so it can be added to the game later. If this is going to be their cash cow for the next 10 years, that sort of NPC interaction is going to become standard in games in less than half that time.

This is the sort of thing I mean. It's still very slow because first your words have to be recognized, then a logical response formulated, then the response has to be converted into speech.

But for me, this is the next genuinely exciting advance in this sort of game. Being able to persuade, or threaten or just have a conversation with an NPC. Convince one to join you on a heist, or tell a taxi driver to follow that car, all that sounds great I think.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: thelittlemango on December 04, 2023, 11:08:59 AMCatch flights between the different cities to complete missions/build homes/run businesses etc.

They should really dig deep on an airport minigame where you have to try and force down an Egg and Cheese McMuffin at 5am before checking out duty free for a giant Toblerone, Hai Karate and 200 cigs for your nan.

Mister Six

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 04, 2023, 02:44:45 PMBut for me, this is the next genuinely exciting advance in this sort of game. Being able to persuade, or threaten or just have a conversation with an NPC. Convince one to join you on a heist, or tell a taxi driver to follow that car, all that sounds great I think.

That'll have to be some way off. Sending a request to a server that generates vaguely sensical lines of text for the game to turn into audio is one thing. Linking that to gameplay by programming the internal AI to account for so many possibilities and translate the text AI's word soup into meaningful physical responses is something else.

The designers will also need to train the AIs for each game, so that GTA NPCs, for example, don't start rambling about a dragon that needs defeating, or complain about their cyborg neighbour.

Hobo