Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:30:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moments in games that just stay with you

Started by Cerys, November 10, 2023, 01:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Video Game Fan 2000

the boss of army island in rainbow island - one of gamings best crescendo of silliness begins from that point

SUPER ZAPPER RECHARGE

the pie at the end of undertale

first sniping section in MDK

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 11, 2023, 09:17:17 PMWhat the fuck is this game

space invaders

Toki

The Joker laughing at me in the game over screen of the Batman game on the Amiga scared me more than anything in the Arkham games, but then again I was piss-scared when I opened the front door in Alone in the Dark before going down and doing the basement objectives (I assure you this is a euphemism). Big purple throbbing monster thing ate me, you see.

Kelvin

I think about the ending of Alone in the Dark far more than it deserves. Watched my friend play through it as a kid, and the only thing I remember about the game is this one moment.

https://youtu.be/zsGaVrMr9N8?si=psiA562EtQqafFLt&t=3364

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Kelvin on November 12, 2023, 02:17:08 AMI think about the ending of Alone in the Dark far more than it deserves. Watched my friend play through it as a kid, and the only thing I remember about the game is this one moment.

i think this started a minor trend of these sorts of stinger endings

Shadow Caster had one too, which stuck with me

madhair60

much of Undertale but Asgore destroying the "Mercy" button is the biggest

Toki

Quote from: Kelvin on November 12, 2023, 02:17:08 AMI think about the ending of Alone in the Dark far more than it deserves. Watched my friend play through it as a kid, and the only thing I remember about the game is this one moment.

I think my copy of the game had a fault, because we kept dying even upon completing everything we could do. Nothing would shift that monster at the exit. Even resorted to using a walkthrough, but it was still there are the end, gobbling me up. So the ending you've linked I only saw on YouTube decades later. I'm over it now, technically.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: copa on November 10, 2023, 08:12:44 PMMine would be driving a vintage Maserati around a snowy Nürburgring. It's one of the challenges in Project Gotham Racing 4.
I loved PGR 4, might still be my favourite racing game. Just so satisfying to control, lovely learning curve, all that.

Mine would be the death of J in "Wolfenstein: The New Order". First (and, so far, last) time I ever cried at a computer game.

BlodwynPig

Mister Six

Quote from: Toki on November 12, 2023, 11:23:12 AMI think my copy of the game had a fault, because we kept dying even upon completing everything we could do. Nothing would shift that monster at the exit. Even resorted to using a walkthrough, but it was still there are the end, gobbling me up. So the ending you've linked I only saw on YouTube decades later. I'm over it now, technically.

I had a similar thing with Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders on the Amiga - I couldn't do whatever it was you're supposed to do in the Mars maze to finish the game. This despite using the guide.

Likewise, Goblins 3 crashed on the Amiga for me when I got to the sky level where you throw a grain of sand into a mechanism (I forget the details). I thought it was because I'd accidentally pulled the metal cover thing off the disk once, but I tried it again on the PC and it crashed in the exact same place. Were all copies bugged and everyone just assumed their copy was broken?

Anyway, I just remembered the bit in Gobliins 2 where the purple bloke touches the boob of a statue, causing a fountain to turn on. So that, I guess?

fflip

Quote from: Rev+ on November 10, 2023, 11:48:47 PMDIE MORTAL
Ha ha I found this room once as a kid and years after wondered if I'd just imagined it, since it is quite difficult to get back to. Only as an adult with maps on the Internet and an emulator was I able to revisit this waking nightmare.

About halfway through Katamari Damacy, breaking through the fence of the garden of the house that the game has been confined to thus far and rolling on down a big hill into the town. One of those moments when your expectations of how big a creative work is, and how far it is likely to end up going, are suddenly upended.

In NiGHTS, as you start the final levels as a kid with the eponymous jester nowhere to be found, your only option is to jump off the edge of the floating island world to your presumed doom - only then to gain the power of flight and proceed to take on the level yourself. A beautiful thematically appropriate moment in a game that's full of them.

madhair60

the bit in Splinter Cell: Conviction where
Spoiler alert
Sam believes that his daughter has been killed and becomes understandably enraged, and the game suddenly makes your number of execution marks limitless*, creating a scene where you essentially walk through room after room of trained agents, killing them as effortlessly as looking at them. very nice bit of story/gameplay melding.

*you can mark enemies then execute them quickly, but only two or three at a time before you need to do a standard takedown to refresh said marks.
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Mister Six on November 12, 2023, 04:08:32 PMAnyway, I just remembered the bit in Gobliins 2 where the purple bloke touches the boob of a statue, causing a fountain to turn on. So that, I guess?

Gobliins 2 tree house puzzle where you have to catch the boy with the basketball, had to call the helpline to solve it. the timing on the puzzle was fucked up because of CPU speeds or something

any time when the two would laugh. with PC speaker noise. Zrzk Krzk Krzk Rzk Krzk

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on November 12, 2023, 11:17:16 PMthe bit in Splinter Cell: Conviction where
Spoiler alert
Sam believes that his daughter has been killed and becomes understandably enraged, and the game suddenly makes your number of execution marks limitless*, creating a scene where you essentially walk through room after room of trained agents, killing them as effortlessly as looking at them. very nice bit of story/gameplay melding.

*you can mark enemies then execute them quickly, but only two or three at a time before you need to do a standard takedown to refresh said marks.
[close]

And then you start destroying a toilet urinal with some cunt's head.
Might have to revisit that one, always thought it was crap compared to Chaos Theory and even Double Agent.

One obscure moment that sticks in my head is the tower block bit of Time Crisis. You fight some cunt who spins with throwing knives and then your guy rappels down a tower. I remember thinking that was stupid as a kid but enjoyed it anyway.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: bgmnts on November 13, 2023, 01:23:06 AMAnd then you start destroying a toilet urinal with some cunt's head.
Might have to revisit that one, always thought it was crap compared to Chaos Theory and even Double Agent.

One obscure moment that sticks in my head is the tower block bit of Time Crisis. You fight some cunt who spins with throwing knives and then your guy rappels down a tower. I remember thinking that was stupid as a kid but enjoyed it anyway.

Since you have travelled so very far, be my guest and let me ENTERTAIN YOU!

dontpaintyourteeth

The intro of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Computer ranting at you about how much it hates you. Lovely

badaids

The level with the spiders in Eye of the Beholder, that horrible grinding noise they make and the jump scares. Plus no anti poison so if you got but potentially hours of gameplay down the drain.

kalowski

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 10, 2023, 07:40:20 PMFirst time Batman gets gassed by Scarecrow in Arkham Asylum. Totally unexpected weirdness.
Absolutely! First proper game I'd played since getting my Xbox. Before that it'd been my Spectrum some 30+ years before. I couldn't believe how atmospheric a game could be.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on November 13, 2023, 01:23:06 AMMight have to revisit that one, always thought it was crap compared to Chaos Theory and even Double Agent.

it is, by all accounts, but it's a very different much more general-audience game. it was the first Splinter Cell i beat and it got me into the older, harder ones, so it's like a gateway drug, I suppose. the story has a handful of genuinely great moments, but getting to them can be a little rough. i liked it a lot!

(Blacklist is a masterpiece and nobody ever believes me)

kidney

Cerys

Quote from: kidney on November 13, 2023, 08:19:30 PMThe Witness when you make THAT discovery.

Spoiler alert
Jonathan Blow's spindly pale legs?
[close]

DrumsAndWires

Quote from: madhair60 on November 12, 2023, 10:16:40 AMmuch of Undertale but Asgore destroying the "Mercy" button is the biggest

the genocide route of undertale still gives me chills. so creepy compared with the normal route.

Petey Pate

Quote from: madhair60 on November 10, 2023, 04:10:44 PM

without even the slightest irony

This is seriously the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

I've vaguely aware of the series but I have absolutely no clue what is going on.

Aleister Growley

Getting to the top of the Eiffel Tower in The Saboteur.

Have since done this in real life which was not as good.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 12, 2023, 03:45:21 AMi think this started a minor trend of these sorts of stinger endings

Shadow Caster had one too, which stuck with me

I think you're literally the only person I've ever seen mention Shadowcaster in any capacity outside of PCZone mag. I used to love that game, I think it was pretty shite looking back but I do feel like some of the levels had a really nice strange atmosphere, especially the opening one with the gardens and the killer plant things.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 13, 2023, 11:55:30 PMThis is seriously the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

I've vaguely aware of the series but I have absolutely no clue what is going on.

Goofy's fuckin deid that's what's going on

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The department store level of Condemned, when it goes all trippy and you suddenly find yourself surrounded by mannequins (which might be disguised baddies). My friend was watching while I played and we both freaked out at that bit.

Speaking of abject terror:

"Beware, coward! I live."

Magnum Valentino