Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:50:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moments in games that just stay with you

Started by Cerys, November 10, 2023, 01:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Incredibly naff (and nonsensical) as it was, I still occasionally enjoy the bit in MGS2 where "Liquid" re-emerges:

"BROTHERS!" and "There's room for only one Snake - and only one Big Boss!". All credit to yer man Cam Clarke for selling such absurdity. Perhaps my favourite bit in the whole series.

More old school, but the 'Game Over' bit in the Operation Wolf arcade version where the voice grimly intones "sorry, but you are finished here..." gave my seven year old self nightmares.

Pink Gregory

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 14, 2023, 11:18:15 AMI think you're literally the only person I've ever seen mention Shadowcaster in any capacity outside of PCZone mag. I used to love that game, I think it was pretty shite looking back but I do feel like some of the levels had a really nice strange atmosphere, especially the opening one with the gardens and the killer plant things.

it was Raven Software! its technically the prequel to Heretic, since the game they were working  one in the same style immediately after became Heretic

ShadowCaster was brilliant and one of the most atmospheric games built on early idTech - iirc it was running on Wolf3D, which is insane considering how bright and diverse it was. it was also one of the first modern-ish games that guided you through the game easily and could be finished without a guide, despite a layer of relative complexity on top.

sadly the rubbish, atmosphere-free CyClones by Raven got more attention (even if it was panned by the mags that loved ShadowCaster)

its a shame shadowcaster was so heavily marketed as a RPG or Ultima Underworld type games. for a first person action adventure that came out before Doom it was just astonishingly good

Cerys

The final boss in Super Aleste - 'I come from the world beyond!'  I think it was the first real game I ever finished.

Magnum Valentino

Making your way to the core of the Big Shell after Emma's been stabbed and there's no cunt about except the one guard with his headphones on as the sun sets outside. Captures a real sense of space and time. Love the music cue as well.

bgmnts

Having to swim that fucker around with hours of cutscenes involving a stupid parrot going "Hal! Hal!" is definitely a moment that'll stay with me.

Pink Gregory

have to say MGS2 is probably the one that stuck in my memories the earliest, because I would have been about 14 and had no idea what was going on

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 14, 2023, 02:00:05 PMIncredibly naff (and nonsensical) as it was, I still occasionally enjoy the bit in MGS2 where "Liquid" re-emerges:

"BROTHERS!" and "There's room for only one Snake - and only one Big Boss!". All credit to yer man Cam Clarke for selling such absurdity. Perhaps my favourite bit in the whole series.

More old school, but the 'Game Over' bit in the Operation Wolf arcade version where the voice grimly intones "sorry, but you are finished here..." gave my seven year old self nightmares.

Cam Clarke is probably my favourite out of an extremely likeable roster of performances. He's clearly having so much fun.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 15, 2023, 01:19:54 PMCam Clarke is probably my favourite out of an extremely likeable roster of performances. He's clearly having so much fun.
Part of the reason Sutherland didn't really work in MGSV (besides having about 100 lines in the whole game) was that he was too much of an "actor", while David Hayter had more of a handle on the medium and content, so could say something like "I already know Metal Gear is a nuclear-equipped walking death-mobile!" and get away with it. There was a sense of him giving a wink and "yeah, I know, but just enjoy it".

bgmnts

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 15, 2023, 01:19:54 PMCam Clarke is probably my favourite out of an extremely likeable roster of performances. He's clearly having so much fun.

Patric Zimmerman for me.

"Right, touch that wire and the C4 will blow up along with the old man!"

For some reason, that line sticks with me. It's not Lee Van Cleef, it's not cowboy, and there's no Russian in there. It's just odd.

Can't wait to replay it and hear it again see if my memory holds up.

But yeah, Clarke's delivery is very hammy and ace. As you say, it's all a bit nod and wink.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 15, 2023, 01:25:39 PMPart of the reason Sutherland didn't really work in MGSV (besides having about 100 lines in the whole game) was that he was too much of an "actor", while David Hayter had more of a handle on the medium and content, so could say something like "I already know Metal Gear is a nuclear-equipped walking death-mobile!" and get away with it. There was a sense of him giving a wink and "yeah, I know, but just enjoy it".

I'm in defense of Sutherland Snake.  The tone of MGSV was similar but not the same, the goofiness was kind of in the world but not the plot - things like dropping boxes on Quiet's head, throwing your guys around on Mother Base and they get up and salute you, that sort of thing. 

Pink Gregory

in the middling but surprisingly enjoyable co-op shooter Conflict Desert Storm, you choose between playin as the SAS or the US Delta Force

SAS of course features a very fackin Lahndahn squad leader who jumps off a helicopter in the first level and says 'ROGER THAT VOODOO FREE, SEE YA LATAH, OVAH'

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 15, 2023, 01:34:20 PMI'm in defense of Sutherland Snake.  The tone of MGSV was similar but not the same, the goofiness was kind of in the world but not the plot - things like dropping boxes on Quiet's head, throwing your guys around on Mother Base and they get up and salute you, that sort of thing.
There was silly stuff in dialogue, of course - all those tapes about making burgers, for instance. But I did feel like they had Sutherland for a day or two, and perhaps his general silence works given the plot twist, but I did miss Hayter giving it "Metal Gear?!" and the like.

bgmnts

Oh that bit in Spec Ops: The Line where you white phosphorous those civilians.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on November 15, 2023, 01:46:06 PMOh that bit in Spec Ops: The Line where you white phosphorous those civilians.

the reception that game still gets boiled my piss, nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.

CoD Modern Warfare was a better comment on its subject matter by just presenting it as is.

GoblinAhFuckScary

ATTENTION. ATTENTION. BIOLOGICAL CONTAINMENT HAS FAILED IN THE RESEARCH FACILITY.

ALL NON-IDENTIFIED PERSONEL WILL BE ELIMINATED.

madhair60

THROW THE ALIEN OUT AND SHUT THE BLOODY DOOR.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on November 15, 2023, 11:08:55 PMTHROW THE ALIEN OUT AND SHUT THE BLOODY DOOR.

The two moments I always think about are:

Quote"You're tickly bees?"

[BUZZING]

"Pacifist bees?"

and

Mr_Simnock

Glebe

It would be great if you could summon giant Disney characters in the Final Fantasy games.

Thursday

The funniest thing about Liquid in MGS2 is that the story in MGS4 makes it that... Ocelot was just putting on an act. He really nailed the voice.

Magnum Valentino

I read that while they kept Zimmerman on as the voice of both, in the Japanese version they kept the actor for Liquid instead.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 16, 2023, 05:04:26 PMI read that while they kept Zimmerman on as the voice of both, in the Japanese version they kept the actor for Liquid instead.
The Japanese voice-actor who was cast as Ocelot in MGS1/2 died in 2006, which might explain that decision.

Magnum Valentino

AngryGazelle

"Gray Fox! It can't be. You were killed in Zanzibar"

That blood-soaked-corridor scene is very memorable.

bgmnts

Quote from: AngryGazelle on November 17, 2023, 12:28:04 PM"Gray Fox! It can't be. You were killed in Zanzibar"

That blood-soaked-corridor scene is very memorable.

Grey Fox scared shit out of me as a kid, especially when he starts banging his head on the floor.

Kelvin

This creepy scene from the end of N64 game Shadow-Man. Obviously a bit try-hard in certain respects, but the sound mix is still incredibly unsettling, with that constant mechanical pulse under everything. I still think it's really effective.

EDIT: Actually that voice-acting is really good for the time, as well, isn't it.

Mister Six

There's a waterfall in the original Tomb Raider that, if you perform the swan dive off it, the camera will pan around Lara as she drops into the pool.

Did that a bunch of times on a little loop, enchanted. Couldn't believe they'd throw something so pointless yet lovely into a game, or that I'd found it by myself.

Mister Six

Oh, and this scene from Yakuza 0 was a real punch-the-air, FUCK YEAH moment.

"You've got the eye of a mad dog!"