Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

And the Game of the Year 2023 is.... Resident Evil 4 (GAME AWARDS THREAD)

Started by Kelvin, November 13, 2023, 10:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Thought we might as well have a thread for the upcoming Game Awards in December 2023.

They've just announced the nominations:

https://thegameawards.com/nominees

Might be a good place for us to discuss the year in gaming more generally, too. There's already lots of talk about it being the best year ever for games releases. Although that's dampened by the inordinate amount of job losses and studio closures across the industry.

Anyway, the biggest games are all out now, so might be a worth having a thread to thrash it all out.

bgmnts

I'd say it could be Baldur's Gate 3 but based on what I was able to play it'd be Resident Evil 4 by a mile.

Edit - is there an equivalent to the Razzies? That'd be more fun.

madhair60

geoff keighley is a fucking wank and so are the game awards

the absolute pits. cringe personified.

C_Larence

Quote from: bgmnts on November 13, 2023, 10:43:55 PMI'd say it could be Baldur's Gate 3 but based on what I was able to play it'd be Resident Evil 4 by a mile.

Edit - is there an equivalent to the Razzies? That'd be more fun.

Gollum sweep

AngryGazelle

From the games I've played it'd be either Resi 4 or Alan Wake 2. If wake had satisfying combat it would be the clear winner, for me.

Pink Gregory

very much "came out this year, shrug IDK' across the board there

Like it feels like recognising Nintendo first party stuff is pointless because it's not really in a competitive marketplace?

But that's not what this is for.

El Unicornio, mang

I was going to say Spider-Man Remastered (PC), which might also be my favourite game of all time, but it apparently came out in late 2022.

Alan Wake 2

Everyone wanking on about Dave the Diver not being a real indie game, like anyone gives a fuck. It's a self-serving industry backslapping event, with trailers for easily-pleased consumerist proles. It's not the fucking Nobel prize.

madhair60

game awards genuinely one of the worst things ever, an embarrassment, absolute unmitigated shit for cunts

Magnum Valentino

Is Alan Wake 2 actually good then? I'm avoiding the thread for the sake of spoilers but would pick it up if a few of youse cunts would vouch for it.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 14, 2023, 11:52:21 AMIs Alan Wake 2 actually good then? I'm avoiding the thread for the sake of spoilers but would pick it up if a few of youse cunts would vouch for it.

Yeah it's great (if you like horror/detective type games with a Twin Peaks kind of vibe), unanimous praise in the thread. Get it.

Also the spoilers are all hidden behind spoiler tags in the thread fwiw

bgmnts

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 14, 2023, 11:52:21 AMIs Alan Wake 2 actually good then? I'm avoiding the thread for the sake of spoilers but would pick it up if a few of youse cunts would vouch for it.

If you're on a Series S, I'd advise against it personally.

It's a decent game though. Not the best game this year but better than most.

Magnum Valentino

No, PS5.

Loved the original when it came out though wasn't able to get on with it earlier this year when I tried to replay it.

Sounds good, I'll see if it drops in the Christmas sale.

AngryGazelle

This cunt would vouch for it.

Mechanically it's not going to blow you away but it has a lot to offer. The atmosphere, presentation, story and it's uniqueness all make it worth playing.

chutnut

I've never really paid attention to these before, Alan Wake would be my choice for game of the year but it seems odd there's only 6 games to choose from. What about Armored Core?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: AngryGazelle on November 14, 2023, 12:52:48 PMThis cunt would vouch for it.

Mechanically it's not going to blow you away but it has a lot to offer. The atmosphere, presentation, story and it's uniqueness all make it worth playing.

Same as the first, then.  Better than the sum of its parts, would you say?

madhair60

Quote from: chutnut on November 14, 2023, 12:57:00 PMI've never really paid attention to these before, Alan Wake would be my choice for game of the year but it seems odd there's only 6 games to choose from. What about Armored Core?

they're paid for

Thursday

It's in Best RPG.

Armored Core is in best Action. It's pretty normal for there only to be about 6 in a category in an award show.

Not to defend this awful tawdry marketing event and vanity project for stupid cunt Geoff Keighley.

bgmnts

I love how many categories there are.

How is Cyberpunk 2077 part of this 'ongoing' category? Is it an MMO now?

DocDaneeka

It's Zelda for me lads, Baldurs Gate was good too.

Not voting though, I only care about the Golden Joysticks.

Lemming

Yeah it's been a massive year for gaming. Baldur's Gate 3 is an easy win. Act 3 was a bit shit but the first two thirds of the game are very high quality and consistently great, it deserves to win the coveted Keighley Awards IMO. Otherwise, games this year I played:

Starfield - yeah yeah Bethesda formula. I thought it was decent when it got going
Diablo 4 - fun for what it is
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew - didn't enjoy it as much as Mimimi's last game, Desperados 3, but it was more fun in the same vein
Aliens: Dark Descent - burned out on it before the end but it's a laugh while it lasts
Darkest Dungeon 2 - fun
Star Trek: Resurgence - Star Trek adventure game, fine

Other games: Warhammer 40k Boltgun which was pretty middling, Wartales which is like a turn-based Mount & Blade, System Shock Remake which I thought was just nowhere near as fun as the original. Couldn't be arsed playing them so I just watched other people play Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake and Dead Space Remake, all seemed fun. Also watched my niece play a bit of Hogwarts Legacy, but I don't know anything about Harry Potter so I just took the piss out of everyone's stupid names until she got fed up and told me to leave.

Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader coming next month looks like it's gonna be good too. Owlcat finally submitting to reality and acknowledging that turn-based is obviously better than the realtime-with-pause bullshit they've been churning out in Pathfinder.

bgmnts

As someone who knows nothing about Baldur's Gate, is BG3 better than Divinity Original Sin 2? Because that game is a fuuuuuckin belter.

Lemming

Quote from: bgmnts on November 14, 2023, 08:42:19 PMAs someone who knows nothing about Baldur's Gate, is BG3 better than Divinity Original Sin 2? Because that game is a fuuuuuckin belter.
It's pretty similar in a lot of ways, and has the same physics system where you can move objects around and set surfaces on fire and such, and mess around with the battlefield prior to combat to up your chances of winning. Much more story-heavy and cinematic than Divinity though. Combat is similar-ish but BG3 uses DnD 5e rules so there's stuff like spell slots.

Definitely worth playing if you liked D:OS 2, but BG3 is also one of those games that can be recommended to pretty much anyone because it's ace.

oggyraiding

Overwatch and Dragon Age Inquisition both won GOTY of their respective years. I have dozens of hours in both and they're both nowhere near deserving of GOTY. Geoff Keighley is annoying and his surname is pronounced wrong. Wasn't the big final reveal of one year a shitty Fast & Furious cash in that bombed?

Having said all that, I did put my votes in, and I will be watching hoping they'll reveal something that brings joy and optimism to my life.

bgmnts

Quote from: Lemming on November 14, 2023, 08:52:04 PMIt's pretty similar in a lot of ways, and has the same physics system where you can move objects around and set surfaces on fire and such, and mess around with the battlefield prior to combat to up your chances of winning. Much more story-heavy and cinematic than Divinity though. Combat is similar-ish but BG3 uses DnD 5e rules so there's stuff like spell slots.

Definitely worth playing if you liked D:OS 2, but BG3 is also one of those games that can be recommended to pretty much anyone because it's ace.

Nice one! Cheers.

Mobius

Yeah I loved Divinity, and BG3 basically does everything it does bigger and better. Larian really are great.

I would give GOTY to Baldur's Gate 3 as well, although I don't think it's perfect and hope for more patches and fixes and stuff like that. But it's absolutely brilliant yeah.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 14, 2023, 01:13:34 PMSame as the first, then.  Better than the sum of its parts, would you say?

Yeah, I'd say so.

I don't think it's a 10 out of 10 game, personally, but it is easily an 8.5 or 9.

Mr_Simnock

The 'Games' awards, just like most music awards are, simply sales pitches to the public

Glebe