Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:24:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PS4 for Kids?

Started by NattyDread 2, November 16, 2023, 11:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NattyDread 2

I'm thinking about buying a ps4 pro + vr set from a mate for my kids' xmas. They're 13 and 10 and used to playing Mario Kart and Just Dance on the Wii and Minecraft on their tablets.

Just wondering if there are that many games that will be suitable/enjoyable for them. The ps4 comes with tonnes of games, but they're from a 50+ year old man's collection so I'm presuming I'll have to shell out for some more kid friendly stuff.
Is there a good selection of suitable stuff available that they could play together? Or would I be better looking at a newer Nintendo?

Also, our internet speed is pretty shite so online gaming isn't really a factor.

Any advice much appreciated.

Garam

Astrobot will blow their minds, one of the greatest platformers ever made

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm sure the 13 year old will probably love the violent games.

Timothy

Quote from: Garam on November 17, 2023, 11:39:07 AMAstrobot will blow their minds, one of the greatest platformers ever made

Thats PS5 not PS4.

OP, why not buy them a Switch? Loads of great games on there and more in their age range.

Memorex MP3

Only real issue I'd see with a switch is that one kid would probably take it over. They're getting cheaper and cheaper atm though and we're probably right near the point where the arse will fall out of the second hand market for cartridges

Garam

Quote from: Timothy on November 17, 2023, 12:55:04 PMThats PS5 not PS4.

OP, why not buy them a Switch? Loads of great games on there and more in their age range.

Astrobot Rescue Mission is on PS4 OP

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on November 17, 2023, 01:23:10 PMOnly real issue I'd see with a switch is that one kid would probably take it over. They're getting cheaper and cheaper atm though and we're probably right near the point where the arse will fall out of the second hand market for cartridges

not so likely for first party stuff, Nintendo games tend to hold their value

madhair60

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 17, 2023, 01:36:02 PMnot so likely for first party stuff, Nintendo games tend to hold their value
Even still I'll bet some of those 50 million copies of Mario kart 8 will be going for less than £30 soon

Mister Six

Why isn't the 13 year old playing horribly violent games? That's what you're supposed to do at that age.

I recommend the Switch if you want to entertain both, and I don't see how the PS4 gets around the monopolisation question, @Memorex MP3.

You don't even need to buy a second controller for most (not all) games, as the standard Switch controllers work together as a single controller or separately as two mini controllers. Also the kiddy-friendly first party Nintendo games are mint, and there's still some violent stuff for the 13-year-old when they stop being a pussy.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on November 17, 2023, 01:23:10 PMOnly real issue I'd see with a switch is that one kid would probably take it over. They're getting cheaper and cheaper atm though and we're probably right near the point where the arse will fall out of the second hand market for cartridges

This is just anecdotal but the families that I know who have multiple kids sharing a Switch don't have that issue - or at any rate, that kind of issue exclusive to it alone.

I don't think there is any evidence to support the notion that cartridge prices will collapse any time soon.

Nintendo physical copies, across multiple systems, are very collectibles which is a factor why second-hand prices are what they are.

Another factor is that Nintendo's strategy is not to do deep discounts on their own games, unlike other companies. If first-hand prices are high and there is a demand for the game, there's less impetus for second-hand sellers to sell cheaply.

In my experience of selling games, ones of Nintendo systems retain a decent proportion of the original price or can be sold at a higher price. To my regret, I rather leaned that the latter when making a profit selling to high-street stores for convenience, before really twigging that their profit margin meant that a bit less convenience for me meant a much better sell price for me.

As for the price of the console, I don't really see that shifting and it certainly isn't being reflected in bargain sites like Hotukdeals.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on November 17, 2023, 01:43:41 PMEven still I'll bet some of those 50 million copies of Mario kart 8 will be going for less than £30 soon

On the other hand, you'll could pay £40 today and play it now.

NattyDread 2

Thanks for the replies all.
Bit of further info. They're both girls and approaching 14 and 11. They've not been playing violent games as they've just not been exposed to them. We have to this point, only ever had a wii. They don't seem too interested in playing games that take a bit of working out, preferring the instant gratification of Mario Kart.

Not too worried about them playing violent stuff if they enjoy it. They like a good horror film so gore shouldn't be an issue for the eldest at least.

Also we don't want to spend too much. The offer is the PS4 Pro 1tb, VR Headset, 2 beat controllers, rifle, 1 controller, 20 disc games (I see Astrobot Rescue Mission and Crash Bandicoot in there) and he'll give me his online account with about 100 games on it. All boxed for £180.

Is the Blu-ray player good on it? We don't already have one and that might just swing it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The Blu-ray is fine. If you turn on HDMI-CEC, if your telly supports it, you can use your TV remote to control it instead of the controller. It's not a 4k Blu-ray player though.

Milo

Tearaway, Littlebigplanet are good for kid things. I'd say Horizon Zero Dawn is fine for those ages and is brilliant and eight quid in CEX for the version with the DLC. No Man's Sky is quite fun for open world stuff. Dreams for making their own things. That's all that comes to mind immediately.

Mister Six

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on November 17, 2023, 05:53:21 PMThanks for the replies all.
Bit of further info. They're both girls and approaching 14 and 11. They've not been playing violent games as they've just not been exposed to them. We have to this point, only ever had a wii. They don't seem too interested in playing games that take a bit of working out, preferring the instant gratification of Mario Kart.

Not too worried about them playing violent stuff if they enjoy it. They like a good horror film so gore shouldn't be an issue for the eldest at least.

Also we don't want to spend too much. The offer is the PS4 Pro 1tb, VR Headset, 2 beat controllers, rifle, 1 controller, 20 disc games (I see Astrobot Rescue Mission and Crash Bandicoot in there) and he'll give me his online account with about 100 games on it. All boxed for £180.

Is the Blu-ray player good on it? We don't already have one and that might just swing it.

Jesus, that's a ridiculously good deal. Is he desperate for skag or something?

NattyDread 2

He's a good mate and not even that arsed about selling it but would be glad to clear the space as he's all about the new Oculus thing.
Sounds like I should snap it up!

Mister Six

Yeah, it's a bargain, regardless of whether you get a Switch.

Memorex MP3

Yeah it sounds like a really good deal, only thing you'd need is (maybe) a second controller proper.

Beat Saber alone will get a lot of mileage from the headset if it's there

NattyDread 2

Aye, definitely need to buy another controller and, by the sound of it, Beat Saber and Little Big Planet.

I reckon it'll be a massive hit. We don't fire up the wii that often but tonight they had a great time hitting about on the wii fit bike game collecting flags, bless them.

They're in for a shock!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Try downloading the Resident Evil Kitchen PSVR demo if you feel like frightening yourself.