Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has there ever been a good implementation of social media in a game?

Started by Gurke and Hare, November 17, 2023, 03:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Any in-game social media in my experience has just been annoying, with a limited number of wordings for postings that repeat frequently. Take the one in Football Manager for example - after every match there will be three posts shown about whoever was the man of the match, two of which will say how good the player was and one of which will say something along the lines of "He was okay but not that good". There are about four different phrasings of these, and they repeat time and time again. It's rubbish.

Has there ever been a game that's done it well and made it useful while also not tediously repetitive?

seepage

not useful, but in Troubleshooter, when you arrest criminals or rescue civilians, the police or public send you money as email attachments. You have to click on each email to open it then click on the attachment to turn it into cash. Tedious and also, how would that work IRL?

madhair60

has there ever been a good implementation of social media not in a game?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: seepage on November 18, 2023, 08:01:39 AMnot useful, but in Troubleshooter, when you arrest criminals or rescue civilians, the police or public send you money as email attachments. You have to click on each email to open it then click on the attachment to turn it into cash. Tedious and also, how would that work IRL?

It sounds like the sort of thing that would be a scam in real life. "Open the attachment for free money!"

Milo

Mister Six

The Twitter parody in the first PS4 Spider-Man game was quite often funny and pretty well observed. The lines were all bespoke.

Judgment and Lost Judgment have the player using Twitter posts to triangulate suspects' locations or find points of interest. Not as funny as Spider-Man, but again - bespoke.

That's probably it.

Jerzy Bondov

I like the one in Ridiculous Fishing where there's a bird or something asking for fish or whatever it was. Post

Noodle Lizard

brat-sampson

Hypnospace Outlaw. The entire game is basically alt-universe Social Media trawling and it's excellent.

Shaxberd

Hypnospace Outlaw is a great game, but it's based on the internet before social media, when everyone had their own little sites instead of it all being monopolised by platforms.

Maybe we need to give it twenty years or so and a bit of hindsight before someone can distil the experience of Web 2.0 into a game.