Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CEX - The Cash Generator you love to hate

Started by curiousoranges, December 26, 2023, 06:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm doing a clearout of my teenage bedroom. Do you know if they pay out for unbowed N64 carts? I know I'd get more on Ebay, but none of them are particularly rare and I just want rid of them. The actual console is long dead.

But really, this is a thread for all your CEX anecdotes/horror stories.

Sebastian Cobb

The CEX I walk past in Glasgow wants eye-watering money for n64 consoles and carts it has in the window but I think they only give you half the asking price.

I'd shot it on Ebay if I were you even if it's a job lot.

I think they publicise the buy and sell prices if you can be bothered searching them.

I've realised that there's already a general CEX thread, so I'm happy for the powers that be to delete this one.

Capt.Midnight

How do they get the smell of damp rain and depressed Lynx Java in every store across the nation?

letsgobrian

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on December 26, 2023, 07:33:30 PMHow do they get the smell of damp rain and depressed Lynx Java in every store across the nation?

Job lot at auction from when Andy's Records closed.

Pink Gregory

perhaps the only place where you will unironically hear Mudvayne

Glebe

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on December 26, 2023, 07:33:30 PMHow do they get the smell of damp rain and depressed Lynx Java in every store across the nation?

shoulders

Sargon of Akkad described as looking like a CEX store manager dragged to the front desk by one of his underlings to enquire what the problem seems to be is still one of the best lines on CaB in the past few years.

madhair60

yeah that was fucking great, you need the picture though

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 26, 2019, 01:39:19 PM

Quote from: sponk on April 26, 2019, 01:55:21 PMIt looks like a customer at CEX has been a bit gobby while trying to return a game so Dankula has called the manager out to handle it.

Glebe

Wouldn't it be funny if people had just stopped buying anything in CEX but they just stayed open.

BritishHobo

I once sold a Wii to CeX for £20.00 because they made up some bullshit about having to knock the price down because the Nunchuck lead looked a bit twisty or something, and they'd already taken everything out of the box and I was on the spot and couldn't be bothered to hang around for them to re-pack it. Joke's on them though, because I bought another one from them a few years later for £12.00, and it was fine apart from the battery slkt on the Wiimote being caked in crisp crumbs. Tidy profit for me, you fucking chumps.

Well. I sold the nine N64 games that were lying unloved in my old bedroom cupboard today. £59! I could have collapsed like Del Boy when they auctioned that watch. Some went for a pittance (40p for 1080 Snowboarding) but £34.99 for Donkey Kong 64.

Proactive

Was re-listening to an old episode of the retro hour podcast the other day on which Charlie Brooker was the guest, and had forgotten the little nugget he dropped about having designed the CEX logo and, "Sort of being one of the founders" . Is that broadly known?

Mister Six

I knew he did those comic strip ads for CEX that used to turn up in magazines, didn't know he had any closer reaction than that though.

Magnum Valentino

It is yeah, he's too famous because of Black Mirror for people of a certain age and interest set not to have come across that info. I've heard it in loads of places including two CEXs.

AzureSky

From Reddit user NoUnderstanding1373:

"Yes he worked there, and it was when we were in Rathbone place he met Chris Morris and Armando Iannucci - since Talkback productions was 2-3 doors down. Thats how he got his break. I remember seeing them in Marino's next door.

No he wasnt a founder, thats Paul and Bobby (the CEX history page is not totally accurate...) But he knew Bob / Paul from NottingHill MVE, where they all worked before CEX Whitfield, in 1992. I joined in 1993, 8th member of staff from memory. Both Bobby and Charlie hated dealing with customers, Bobby would hide behind the curtain at the back of Whitfield shop! Sad he died, but lived life to the max. Had some terrific years working there!"

Pink Gregory

doesn't he write in Screen Burn that he sold Coolio a game once