Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite videogames set in Britain

Started by George White, January 07, 2024, 11:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Always seem to be fewer than there should be.

And when they are, they're always 'off'.

What's our faves?

idunnosomename

Funny, innit. Why is the first game that comes to mind the Grand Theft Auto expansion pack (that seemingly was developed in Toronto)

Says England with the UK flag, then it looks more like Scotland anyway.

Omedetou, Capcom!

Auntie Beryl

Watch Dogs Legion. The game is... what it is, but it does depict a condensed version of London's geography well.

Jim_MacLaine

Grand Theft Auto 1969 - Lahndan
The Getaway - A slightly more realistic Lahndan
Forza Horizon 4 - Edinburgh and environs.
From Russia with Love - Houses of Parliamen/Big Ben in Lahndan
Assassins Creed - Syndicate - Victorian Lahndan

Mister Six

Ben There, Dan That and Time, Gentlemen, Please!, a couple of very funny point and click adventures. Although their depictions of the UK aren't necessarily very accurate.

Mister Six

According to this exciting list, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is set in Yorkshire, although presumably some time before Leeds United were a thing.

And apparently Resistance: Fall of Man is partly set in Grimsby, which has to be a first.

beanheadmcginty

The Clue! - Amiga game where you robbed places. Set in London but with lots of badly translated text as it was made by Germans.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Culture Bunker

I remember a game on PS2, the Getaway, that was kind of a Grand Theft Auto 3 lift with added Guy Ritchie cockney knees up nonsense around that London.

George White

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 07, 2024, 07:02:57 PMI remember a game on PS2, the Getaway, that was kind of a Grand Theft Auto 3 lift with added Guy Ritchie cockney knees up nonsense around that London.
Yes, cast with a cast of 'ugly models' who were digitally scanned and then did the voices. The sequel got some actual actors instead.

ros vulgaris

The first Driver game had a secret area set at the quayside in Newcastle that you could only access via a cheat code. I think it was cut content from the original ending.

dontpaintyourteeth

The Culture Bunker

The (really good) 'Yes, Prime Minister' game was set entirely inside 10 Downing Street, as I recall.

I'll take the Postman Pat games as in what I would imagine is a tiny group set in Cumbria.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. Not much game there, but it was nice strolling around a deserted 80's Shropshire village. British developer, so you get little details like the road signs all being right, and silver birches and bluebells in the little wooded areas.

oggyraiding

Quote from: Mister Six on January 07, 2024, 06:37:55 PMAccording to this exciting list, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is set in Yorkshire, although presumably some time before Leeds United were a thing.

And apparently Resistance: Fall of Man is partly set in Grimsby, which has to be a first.

Resistance also has a very good recreation of parts of York, and it got into trouble for recreating Manchester Cathedral and turning it into a warzone.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a bit wank because it's early Medieval so even though you can go to well known cities, they're all much of a muchness.

I think MediEvil's Gallowmere was meant to be part of Britain. The sequel was definitely in Britain as you visit a lot of Victorian London locations.

In the vein of Jack The Ripper, Shadow Man has a level in the London Underground where you fight Jack the Ripper who is a demon or something.

ros vulgaris

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on January 07, 2024, 06:31:43 PMForza Horizon 4 - Edinburgh and environs.

It's more of an idealised rural England/Scotland put together with Bamburgh Castle, Glastonbury Tor,
the lakes etc, and finding battered old minis and peel p50s in barns. A really nice little game.

Norton Canes

Auntie Beryl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 07, 2024, 07:17:14 PMEverybody's Gone To The Rapture. Not much game there, but it was nice strolling around a deserted 80's Shropshire village. British developer, so you get little details like the road signs all being right, and silver birches and bluebells in the little wooded areas.

Yes! Was going to mention this. More experience than game, but I really enjoyed it.

Thursday

Quote from: Mister Six on January 07, 2024, 06:37:55 PMAccording to this exciting list, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is set in Yorkshire, although presumably some time before Leeds United were a thing.

Grimsby is also in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, it's a compressed version of most of 9th century England.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Manic Miner was scabbing while the rest were striking.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: oggyraiding on January 07, 2024, 09:10:55 PMI think MediEvil's Gallowmere was meant to be part of Britain.

Yeah, it's definitely meant to be sort of northeast/mideast/southeast, since it was developed by SCE Cambridge.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Auntie Beryl on January 07, 2024, 06:06:06 PMWatch Dogs Legion. The game is... what it is, but it does depict a condensed version of London's geography well.

I was so disappointed with this game. The prospect of 'GTA5 in London' got me very excited, but it just felt so barren and lifeless, and on top of that knowing the real life area so well only made the (obviously necessary) changes more obvious. I wanted to be able to blow up M&M World!

Mr Vegetables

I was going to say Banjo Kazooie on the tenuous grounds that Rusty Bucket Bay could be in Britain

Pink Gregory

madhair60

unbelievable shit they'd never get away with now

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 07, 2024, 07:02:57 PMI remember a game on PS2, the Getaway, that was kind of a Grand Theft Auto 3 lift with added Guy Ritchie cockney knees up nonsense around that London.

I had this. The thing I liked about it is that the map was done pretty much exactly as London is, so you could find your way around with a decent knowledge of London streets. Quote novel at the time (Watch Dogs has done it since). They had a ps3 sequel in development which looked great but it got cancelled.

Lots of spectrum games were set in the UK. Back to Skool/Skool Daze being the best. Properly got the look and feel of brit schools right.

Brass Moustache

Theres meant to be a VR game set in the Peaky Blinders universe coming out on Steam.
No news of its release date yet last i checked