Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Got a Nintendo DS in 2024

Started by Ferris, January 10, 2024, 04:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzureSky

Quote from: TommyTurnips on January 10, 2024, 01:52:47 PMIt's great being able to play Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask on a hand held with better graphics than the N64 for sure. That whole 3D thing was a gimmick though. Most of the time I played with it turned off.

I just bought Majora's Mask 3D for the 3DS and it was delivered today! I never played it first time around (£30 off Ebay, it's still going strong).

Also bought a DSi late last year just because it had Four Swords Anniversary on it. On a mission to do all Zelda's and only have II and a couple of remakes left to do now.

I had an R4 for the original DS and have really enjoyed Brain Training, alongside the Mario and Zelda titles.

madhair60

Quote from: oggyraiding on January 10, 2024, 09:05:07 PMTrauma Centre is good, gets a bit mental towards the end but in a good way.

and ironically will give your wrist actual trauma with how hard as fuck it gets

Midas

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is GOOD and recommended

(though the meandering bonus fifth episode fucked and arseholed the christ out of the pacing imo)

but it's still GOOD and recommended

Animal Crossing: Wild World has the calmest vibes (and no amiibo dreck), but you do have to write letters to your NPC villagers, which feels kind of pathetic as an adult

The first three Professor Layton games were good also

Jerzy Bondov

I like Zelda Phantom Hourglass but a lot of wrong people hate it. There's a sort of central dungeon you return to each time you get a new ability, which I think is cool but you might find it repetitive, if you're a child.

Ferris

R4 cards gonna be here tomorrow lads. Can't wait.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on January 10, 2024, 10:52:12 AMGhost Trick: Phantom Detective is a masterpiece and you must play it immediately without looking anything up about it.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

YES.

lazyhour

Thirded on Ghost Trick. It's one of best games ever made and it's a crying shame how little it's talked about.

C_Larence

Fourthed. It's been ported to other consoles now so anyone reading this thread who hasn't played it has no excuse. Also should mention it was created by the same guy who made Ace Attorney!

Ferris

THE GAMES ARE PRELOADED!!

I have 999 games. I am... beside myself. It's so beautiful.

C_Larence

You should play 999 first in honour of that

Consignia

lazyhour

Mister Six spots somebody playing Ghost Trick on their Nintendo DS.

Ferris

It's me I'm the person playing ghost trick on their Nintendo DSi in 2024

Ferris

Booted up Ghost Trick, it is literally my first ever game on this console so if it's shit I'm gonna hold all you cunts personally responsible.

Lemming

Can't believe we've all forgotten Cooking Mama. Never been made so tense by any other game. The instant something goes wrong and you know you're going to catch some passive aggressive flak from Mama, the stakes feel higher than life itself.

Sonny_Jim

Been mentioned a few times but Picross 3D is amazing for wasting a bit of time on public transport.  Tetris DS is also great but a little easy, I much prefer this bit of homebrew:

https://dlhb.gamebrew.org/dshomebrew/tetrisgrandmaster.7z

The best bit about the DS is that it's legitimately pocket sized so it's great for playing puzzle games and the like.  Puzzlequest: Challenge of the Warlords is great, it's a match 3 game with RPG elements.

madhair60

Puzzle Quest! yes, absolute titan of a game. the DS version is a bit sluggish but it's still brilliant.

I could list ace DS games all day long, it's my favourite library Nintendo ever had. Banger games for every letter of the alphabet, from memory: 

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin.
Big Bang Mini.
Contact.
Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber.
Elite Beat Agents.
Flower, Sun, and Rain.
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure.
Izuna 2.
Jam With The Band.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.
Lunar Knights.
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.
Ninjatown.
Orcs & Elves.
Planet Puzzle League.
Quickspot.
Rhythm Heaven.
Super Princess Peach.
The World Ends With You.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat.
Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise.
WarioWare: Touched!
X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Yoshi Touch & Go.
Zoo Keeper.

not even scratching the surface, could probably do it again

Jerzy Bondov

Ferris

Had to do child minding so no time to really play.

Not tonight though. Tonight I'm going MEGA.

lazyhour

Let us know when you meet the pomeranian in Ghost Trick. Fucking love that guy.

I also love the plot twists in Ghost Trick.

Midas

Midas

madhair60

Quote from: lazyhour on January 12, 2024, 02:55:08 PMLet us know when you meet the pomeranian in Ghost Trick. Fucking love that guy.

I also love the plot twists in Ghost Trick.

don't talk about anything that happens in it !!

lazyhour

Quote from: madhair60 on January 12, 2024, 06:56:39 PMdon't talk about anything that happens in it !!

I absolutely wouldn't dream of it.

lazyhour

Ferris

Quote from: lazyhour on January 13, 2024, 10:49:46 AMWHAT NEWS OF NDS, FERRIS?

Playing Pokémon. It's good.

Everyone should seek out a cheap DS on eBay and one of these hooky cards in my opinion - for the thick end of thirty quid it's a passport to fun.

katzenjammer

Curse you all! You've got me really wanting one of these now. Which sort should I get though? There are loads of them

Memorex MP3

Imo DSi XL is the way too go; the larger screen feels more natural these days even though the resolution is the same. If you're at all technical you can do the softmod route and save some money on an r4, worst case scenario you can't figure it out and you just buy the R4 afterwards

If getting an R4 I'd just grab the cheapest working DS Lite off eBay. Get yourself a GBA cart reader in the process

lazyhour

Ghost Trick didn't last long then. Bet you didn't even meet the pomeranian. :(