Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last Dinner Party

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 03, 2024, 06:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRen

I mean, we have Abba and Sparks already.

sweeper

To be fair to these young people and J. Whiley, I gave the album a listen, and I found it not that bad. The best tunes have already been singles, and everything else muddles along without raising any hairs, but you can hear in it a lurking creative impulse that perhaps hasn't had time to fully flower, or been allowed out of the indie rock straitjacket it doesn't need to be in.

If we lived in a time where creativity and risk-taking were prized in pop music, beyond and above social media and the Festival Moment, you'd probably think this was a 'promising' debut, something to keep an eye on to see where they went next. But there's no reason to expect anything will happen, apart from a Festival Moment and the obligitory Mercury win.

I like the songs 'Sinner' and 'Caesar on a TV Screen'.

sevendaughters

Quote from: lazyhour on February 05, 2024, 02:20:44 PMBritain's answer to Boygenius?

Boygenius are for late 20s job/life malaise/unsure about pronouns, LDP are pure undergraduate.

sevendaughters

from some cursory research one of them or more went to a state grammar in Yorkshire with two of the Orielles

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 04, 2024, 09:53:22 AMI'm not sure if they're a band I'll fall head over heels for, but I certainly liked what I heard a good deal.

They should use that in their next press release.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: lazyhour on February 05, 2024, 02:20:44 PMBritain's answer to Boygenius?

Can these isles really have found three people that annoying

sevendaughters

Emily, the guitarist went to school 'in Cheshire' and prior to joining the LDP had an eponymous jazz sextet and gave lessons in London. her website has been deleted but exists in the web archive.

she can play the guitar pretty well!

mrpupkin

EDIT: deleted

dontpaintyourteeth

How many of their parents have their own wikipedia pages

sweeper

Floating Points went to Chetham's, and he makes some of the best music around. Just adding as a counterpoint.

(Edit: Bet they teach counterpoint at Chetham's!!)

Butchers Blind

This came up on my recommendations in Spotify and I'm not sure why as this area of music is not something I listen to that often, if at all. There does seem to be a concerted push within various sections of the music biz to make this band happen. Odd.

dr beat

We're out of January I know, but I reckon this is the still that dread time of year for acts to go the way of Gay Dad and Terris.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 05, 2024, 02:16:00 PMPut off them now after reading this thread, in particular that fan wiki. Imagine having your dream dinner party guest be Princess Diana.

indeed, imagine the smell

The Mollusk

Quote from: sweeper on February 05, 2024, 04:47:44 PMFloating Points went to Chetham's, and he makes some of the best music around. Just adding as a counterpoint.

(Edit: Bet they teach counterpoint at Chetham's!!)

In fairness I am only opposed to rich kids making music when it's wet shite cynically shoved down my neck by marketing pricks.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Listened to a few of these on my lunch break, quite like them tbh especially the Caesar one. More interesting songwriting than a lot of current hyped indie bands and some tasty guitar work too. Guess I'm off to become a buy to let landlord now

sweeper

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 05, 2024, 05:40:51 PMIn fairness I am only opposed to rich kids making music when it's wet shite cynically shoved down my neck by marketing pricks.

I'm opposed to rich kids making music when it's only the rich kids who are allowed to do it, and there's no culture of music criticism calling the whole system out.

The Mollusk

Well that's where we differ I'm afraid mate because I absolutely LOVE that!!

sweeper

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 05, 2024, 10:44:07 PMWell that's where we differ I'm afraid mate because I absolutely LOVE that!!

Is this banter? Am I involved in some banter now? Am I supposed to respond? Should I say something homophobic?

Not sure on next steps, let me know please.

The Mollusk

I was just being a silly billy but I guess banter is in the eye of the beholder. You can say something homophobic if you want though, I'm not gay so I won't take offence!

JesusAndYourBush

Another 'sponsored' facebook video came up. 24 seconds long, not enough to give much of an idea of what they're about. Comments were either overly fawning or quite scathing.

Icehaven

Never heard of them or anything by them, but before I give them a listen can anyone confirm where they are on the Florence and the Machine-ometer, 1 being nothing like them, 10 being I'd be better off pouring cement into my ears?

JesusAndYourBush

They just announced a tour via the latest 'sponsored' facebook ad.

Egyptian Feast

boki

I dunno, one of them has clearly been forced to cut her own hair, maybe CozzyLivs has bitten after all.

Pink Gregory

fuzzyste

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 29, 2024, 08:55:25 PM

I dont normaly have a huge problem with rich people who make music when its good and they are clearly talented (yes you can argue they had the time to practise and not work etc blah blah blah) but when they say stuff like this its pretty indefensible.

Its pretty safe to assume every new UK band/actor is from a fairly well off background these days?

Fambo Number Mive

There's barely any politics in music anymore. When was the last time a song was released about the cost of living crisis? Loads of political songs in the 80s, all I cn think of recently is the Kunt and the Gang songs.

Asclepius

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2024, 08:41:21 AMThere's barely any politics in music anymore. When was the last time a song was released about the cost of living crisis? Loads of political songs in the 80s, all I cn think of recently is the Kunt and the Gang songs.

Some of the Yard Act stuff gets a bit political. I suppose that's who they're referring to with that line. Panic Shack also 'do' cozzy liv refs (see Meal Deal, for example). But it feels most like a dig at Yard Act. Idles maybe, too?

frajer

It's difficult to get past them being exactly the Tory toff band 'Cayman' from This Time with Alan Partridge.

Pink Gregory

post-punk is not one word you gold plated embryo