Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last Dinner Party

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 03, 2024, 06:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

ive decided to disagree with that rebuttal because its funnier for me personally

Krustie Allsopp

It is so wonderful to hear of another Old Bedalian simply smashing it, like myself, by virtue of tremendous talent alone.  Well done whatever your name is and I will see you in an Alumni garden party later this year!

Have you noticed those state school people tend not to own property?

SteveDave

So the comment was lifted from an interview given six months ago but she never said it? The horse girls are rattled.

I assume they mean one of the other band members said it. Not sure that makes it different.

Mr Trumpet

She meant to say people were tired of hearing about the Costa Concordia crisis

If you take that quote as a dig at Sleaford Mods you can still enjoy them.

sevendaughters

not really sure when 'postpunk' bands were singing about cost of living tbh

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 02, 2024, 02:52:54 PMnot really sure when 'postpunk' bands were singing about cost of living tbh

Why is the bedroom so cold?
Get on the bills support website

They might've been having a go at Mick Hucknall of the Frantic Elevators, who recorded a version of 'Money's Too Tight To Mention' with his post-post-punk outfit Simply Red.

Icehaven

If only there were some music other than post punk 40 years ago and The Last Dinner Party.

SteveDave

All music after 1977 is post-punk

Oasis. Black Lace. My Bloody Valentine. Joe Dolce. John Farr. Pixies. Suede. The London Suede. This list is almost endless.

PlanktonSideburns

Look, I'm not saying the crisis of living isn't important (which is a misquote of something I didn't say anyway in a totally different interview) - I KNOW its a problem - sometimes venues i want to play in are shut down for example, preventing the very scummers that you're pratting on about from hearing our very important music

"hi, we're The Last Dinner Party and this one's called 'Milk's Expensive These Days (I'd Imagine)'"

Butchers Blind

Maybe they're called The Last Dinner Party because due to the cost of living crisis, it's too expensive to hold dinner parties.

gilbertharding

I've decided that the Last Dinner Party are great, and they deserve all the exposure they're getting. I'm happy for them.  They're not denying that everything else, in the real world, is utter shit, but they're right - escapism in art is fine.

Also I have never, knowingly, heard a single note of their music. If I have ever heard anything by them I can't remember. Doubtless I will hear something by them soon, and it will register in my brain. I will probably be repulsed by what I hear.

Nevertheless I've decided that the Last Dinner Party are great, and they deserve all the exposure they're getting. I'm happy for them.  They're not denying that everything else, in the real world, is utter shit, but they're right - escapism in art is fine.

kngen

Previously, in straitened times, pop stars and the like who were a bit flamboyant or out of the ordinary would be decried as poofs and ponces. That this lot are being attacked in terms of class is progress in a way.

My parents had to sell one of their properties to pay for this tour, you know. In a way, we're just like the Minutemen.

dontpaintyourteeth

Pink Gregory

what they don't tend to learn is that more or less immediate success tends to look like you got given a leg up and who your family is might have had something to do with it

and that would be fine if that wasn't the only path to success available

SteveDave

Quote from: mechanical blood goat on March 04, 2024, 02:18:19 PMMy parents had to sell one of their properties to pay for this tour, you know. In a way, we're just like the Minutemen.

Or move out of one when their sons decided to be in the Horrors and the Vaccines

https://www.removepaywall.com/article/current

Icehaven

Quote from: SteveDave on March 04, 2024, 07:04:57 PMOr move out of one when their sons decided to be in the Horrors and the Vaccines

Doesn't work for me, is there another link?

Icehaven

Quote from: SteveDave on March 04, 2024, 10:35:15 PMhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/3347397/Mothers-boys.html

You'll need your own paywall remover

Nah that one worked.

QuoteFiona Cowan's four-bedroom maisonette in Onslow Square, SW7, is on the market for £2·45million through Lane Fox, 020 7225 3866 Her four-bedroom loft apartment in the Piper Building, SW6, £795,000, is for sale through Foxtons, 0207 565 4000.

Kind of wish it hadn't though.

fuzzyste

I wonder why Shoredtich is fucking terrible these days?

Quote"Tom wants to go to Shoreditch, where the music scene is,'' explains Fiona. ''And he's dying to install brightly coloured carpets, which I hate.''

Kankurette

I'm not surprised they went to Bedales, my ex-stepdad had a mental rich mate who sent his daughters there and the middle one was like a young Margaret Thatcher. It also has a history of really serious bullying and groups of kids who run the place.
Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2024, 08:41:21 AMThere's barely any politics in music anymore. When was the last time a song was released about the cost of living crisis? Loads of political songs in the 80s, all I cn think of recently is the Kunt and the Gang songs.
Bob Vylan?

Icehaven

Quote from: SteveDave on March 04, 2024, 07:04:57 PMOr move out of one when their sons decided to be in the Horrors and the Vaccines

Bloody hell I just realised that article is 18 years old. That maisonette is probably worth about a billion quid now.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 03, 2024, 11:57:47 AMThey might've been having a go at Mick Hucknall of the Frantic Elevators, who recorded a version of 'Money's Too Tight To Mention' with his post-post-punk outfit Simply Red.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Kankurette on March 05, 2024, 10:20:52 AMBob Vylan?

interesting point because he's massively political in such a direct and unnuanced way that it hurts
https://genius.com/Bob-vylan-health-is-wealth-lyrics

Kankurette

In summary: "Lose weight, stop eating meat and go to the gym so you can run away from the pigs."