Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roxy Music appreciation thread or summat like that

Started by dontpaintyourteeth, February 19, 2024, 05:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

Hi Roxy Music were fucking good. With or without Brian Eno. Pretty consistently fucking good I reckon. Thread here for you to agree with me.

Best tunes imo include

IF THERE IS SOMETHING

BEAUTY QUEEN

SAME OLD SCENE

A SONG FOR EUROPE

MORE THAN THIS BASTARD

etc and so on

fit bird

Unimpeachable until Bryan Ferry went severely wrong and became the world's shittest and most boring recording artist after Manifesto.

gilbertharding

Obviously they're great, but:

The first and only proper Roxy album I got was when I was about 20, and it was For Your Pleasure, which I had on tape. I absolutely RINSED it on my walkman, but I reckon I only listened to side 2 about three times. Just never clicked.

The Culture Bunker

I have noticed that in America, they often get lumped in under the 'New Wave' banner, presumably because 'Avalon' was their best selling album there.

A band I've always liked but never quite loved. I suspect this in large part due to thinking Bryan Ferry is a right tit. Still, plenty of great songs - 'All I Want Is You', 'Over You', 'Take a Chance On Me', 'Ladytron' and 'In Every Dream Home a Heartache' - the last one perhaps being one of the few times Ferry had a great idea songwriting-wise and he and the band managed to fully realise it.

beanheadmcginty

As a kid I was endlessly fascinated by my dad's Roxy Music LPs with the nudie ladies on them.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Goldentony on February 19, 2024, 06:12:37 PMGROWING POTATOES by the SCoOoOoOoOoOOoOoOoOoore

That song is enough for me to forgive whatever it is people think Ferry did wrong. Pretending to be posh, having a cunt son, whatever

famethrowa

Quote from: Deskbound Cunt on February 19, 2024, 06:18:56 PMLater Roxy > early Roxy.

Not sure, but yes Avalon is total magic. Soft rock yes, but totally mysterious and atmospheric.

As for the old stuff, the synth break in Virginia Plain is always amazing. Elevates the song into space.

DrumsAndWires

Quote from: Deskbound Cunt on February 19, 2024, 06:18:56 PMLater Roxy > early Roxy.

later roxy just sounds like them doing the generic 80s sound, it was nothing new

whereas Debut album + For your pleasure are unique albums. they have the 'out of this world' kinda feel to them. like bowie's glam rock stuff but more experimental. can't imagine what it would've been like to hear them in the 70s for the first time, i reckon it would've blown my head to pieces.  Both of these albums sound fresh today, whilst Avalon is always gonna be chucked under the '80s sounding' label

And in case you're wondering, yes im totally biased towards anything with Eno in it

Oosp

Oh indeed. The Eno albums are super. But also later Roxy has lots of top choons.

Imagine having this lot in your back catalogue:

In Every Dream Home A Heartache 
Mother Of Pearl
Beauty Queen
If There Is Something
Ladytron
Dance Away
A Song For Europe
Chance Meeting
More Than This
2HB
Sunset
Avalon
Love Is The Drug
Virginia Plain

Heaps of deep cuts one could mention too, from early and late periods.

DrumsAndWires

my roxy top 5

Ladytron
Virginia Plain
Editions of you
Both ends burning (Siren is underrated)
Serenade

the objective discography ranking: Debut> For Your Pleasure & Stranded > Siren > Country Life > Avalon > Flesh & Blood

also the peel sessions deserve a special mention
mind meltingly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpp6dNAOEdw

All the albums are good, but Flesh and Blood stands above them all. Just fantastic. Every single moment is perfect. Possibly my favourite record of all time.

Egyptian Feast

I've not tried anything after Siren because I wasn't at all keen on anything I'd heard from after they reformed, but their version of 'Eight Miles High' off Flesh and Blood came up on YouTube the other day after I'd played the original and I really liked it, so perhaps I should shell out for a yacht now.

timahall

If There Is Something is one of my favourite songs of all time.

buzby

"You will hev to wah flarred trizzers"
(With deference to @gilbertharding, who supplied the pictures)

I like everything up to and including Flesh & Blood (Angel Eyes and Same Old Scene are two of my favourites of theirs). Avalon is a step too far into soft rock territory for me, Clive (despite having Martha Ladly standing in for Yanick Étienne on backing vocals for TV appearances for the title track).

Here's a mix of Roxy tracks that the Dewaele brothers put together for Belgian designer Dries van Noten's 2005 fashion show.

Video Game Fan 2000

the first side of Roxy Music S/T is my favourite run of songs ever, even better with the CD because Virginia Plain is one there too now

i think For Your Pleasure is my favourite but its really hard to pick other than Siren is a little underrated and Country Life a little overrated, but everything up to Siren is great.

ive never really got Avalon. its good and all but i cant imagine rating it over the Pre-Manifesto albums

Video Game Fan 2000

stonking great Peel Session version of If There Is Something really brings out the influence of the Abbey Road medley on it, and inc fabled industrial bit that does indeed sound like a bit like Faust

no idea what my top ten would be maybe..

If There Is Something
Virginia Plain
Pyjamarama (original version)
2HB
Ladytron
Remake Remodel
Chance Meeting/Both Ends Burning (off Viva)
Grey Lagoons
Beauty Queen
Mother of Pearl
For Your Pleasure

impossible, no Praire Rose, Love is the Drug, Song for Europe, Out of the Blue...

The extended version of The Main Thing is one of their best for sure. The song has so much mood and atmosphere that I don't think the 4 minutes of the album version do enough justice

jobotic

Over You would be right up there but it has that hideous sax solo. Oh Yeah is better.

Despite being an Eno obsessive years ago I'd somehow never heard If There Is Something until a few years ago. It really is astonishingly good. Love Ferry Jello Biafra-ing away like that.

kalowski

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on February 19, 2024, 11:06:40 PMmy roxy top 5

Ladytron
Virginia Plain
Editions of you
Both ends burning (Siren is underrated)
Serenade

the objective discography ranking: Debut> For Your Pleasure & Stranded > Siren > Country Life > Avalon > Flesh & Blood

also the peel sessions deserve a special mention
mind meltingly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpp6dNAOEdw

Thank god someone finally mentioned Editions of You! Pre punk magic.

gilbertharding

kalowski

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: jobotic on February 20, 2024, 08:19:22 PMOver You would be right up there but it has that hideous sax solo.

The Soft Boys totally stole this one from them, there is no comparison for me. Its a great song but their version doesnt have much of a spark, the rare Roxy song where a transition to cinematic and atmospheric electronics doesnt make it take off and such sound a bit naff at the end

poodlefaker

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 19, 2024, 05:44:49 PMObviously they're great, but:

The first and only proper Roxy album I got was when I was about 20, and it was For Your Pleasure, which I had on tape. I absolutely RINSED it on my walkman, but I reckon I only listened to side 2 about three times. Just never clicked.

wah? Bogus Man, Grey Lagoons, FYP - each fantastic in a different way. Bogus Man could be the Bonzos.

Video Game Fan 2000

the harmonica freak out in Grey Lagoons and the acapella verse in For Your Pleasure are the two coolest moments in their catalogue, imo

kalowski

I like the cracking birds on the covers. Phwoaarh!

gilbertharding

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 21, 2024, 04:43:49 PMwah? Bogus Man, Grey Lagoons, FYP - each fantastic in a different way. Bogus Man could be the Bonzos.

I know. I can't explain why. I think I thought that the songs were just *too long*

4000Foals

Out of the Blue is both eerie and blistering. Wondrous song.

Love is the Drug is a perfect single.