Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Record Store Day 2024 Anno Domini

Started by Pauline Walnuts, February 21, 2024, 01:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

"Intro" by Pulp might be the first RSD thing I've bought since "Trout Mask Replica" in 2018.

EDIT- The second side is longer than I thought.

Captain Z

Was going to scoff at the audacity of Michael Gray's 2004 funky house minor hit The Weekend on 7" for £16, assuming discogs would be littered with old 12" copies for pennies. But it seems to go for anywhere north of £20 these days, so perhaps I'll dig out my old copy and cash in (I won't).

I'm down for that Roches debut album reissue, and the Soft Cell. There's also a reissue of Winter In America by Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson I don't see on that list (US only maybe?)

THIRTY TWO QUID for a 12" single picture disc of 'Kelly Watch The Stars' by Air. 
Get tae fuck.

Steve Faeces

Every record store day I think I don't want to support the repackaging of old stuff that apparently delays and disrupts vinyl pressing for new release albums and smaller acts. Anyway this year I hope to pick up the Super Furries record and at least one of the Soul Jazz compilations.

kalowski

Hate RSD but I'm going to have to get the Richmond Fontaine. Can't get that on vinyl for love not money.
(Well, you can for money: €96 or $200 but nowt in the UK)

DJ Bob Hoskins

Not a fan of RSD either, but a 6CD Delia Derbyshire box set for £36 seems pretty cool.

Anyone heard the Talking Heads Live on Tour record? Google tells me it was previously a promo-only release. Never heard of it before today.

dontpaintyourteeth

iamcoop

Not sure why the powers that be haven't got the message about what actually sells yet - all my local record shops literally have about four bins at the front trying to flog old RSD releases going back about four years now.

I'm tempted by The Fall and At The Gates this year but that's it.

jobotic

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on February 21, 2024, 05:56:56 PMNot a fan of RSD either, but a 6CD Delia Derbyshire box set for £36 seems pretty good

Isn't that (admittedly brilliant) radio thing about six fifteen minute pieces? Does sound good unless they've spread one album over six CDs.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: jobotic on February 21, 2024, 06:33:40 PMIsn't that (admittedly brilliant) radio thing about six fifteen minute pieces? Does sound good unless they've spread one album over six CDs.

No, it's four radio broadcasts and additional material. It was released as a limited-edition vinyl set at the end of last, which was a bit too rich for my blood but heard it was really nicely nice.

Some info here: https://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/inventions-for-radio-limited-vinyl-6lp-box-set/105978.htm

This is bargain!

dontpaintyourteeth

fuck sake I want that Delia Derbyshire thing now

DJ Bob Hoskins

I saw it first, you vultures. It's only fair that I get my copy before everyone else jumps on it. Later that day one of you can buy it off me on Discogs for €295.

Panbaams

It's a shame that there's an inevitable clash between fanship, which may be a bit stupid and irrational but is at least genuine, and people who see a chance to turn a quick buck, which is horribly cynical and means that others have to miss out.

If there's something I'm keen on getting, the day reasonably accurately recreates that "Will they have it? Will they have it?" feeling that I sometimes used to get from going to a record shop back in the day.

Reserving a record and queuing the night before feels a bit joyless, to be honest. (Has reserving your records always been a thing on RSD?)

To be honest a good part of the joy I get from buying records – actually buying them, not the joy I get subsequently from listening to them – is the feeling that you've picked up a bit of a bargain. Whereas the philosophy of Record Store Day is that money talks.

Obviously if record shops do well out of it, like the two nearest me seem to, I don't begrudge them.

jobotic

I'm going to have to ask a mate to look out for that DD box.

Nowhere to go and queue here since Woolworths shut.

Famous Mortimer

My issue/concern/whatever with it is...take the Delia Derbyshire box set, mentioned above. Clearly, there's a market for it (I'd love one) so why not release it to just independent record shops? Make as many as you think the market can handle, rather than this, which benefits no-one other than a tiny handful of fans who are able to successfully reserve one, and of course Mr. Ebay.

The boxes of remaindered RSD stock which every store seems to have is...no-one needs my half-thought-out criticism. This article from a few years back says it quite well.

Neomod

Never really bought into this. It may have started for the right reasons but like with most things gets ruined and is now mostly a cynical cash grab.

purlieu

Not to be one to just boast about my favourite band again, but FSOL are doing a CD and LP expanded edition of ISDN this year, which shows an enjoyably positive attitude to formats. The 2CD edition basically expands the album to be the same length as Lifeforms with tracks from both versions, meaning this will kind of be the definitive version going forward. On their own label they're reissuing a 2LP set that's been out of print for 17 years. They've yet to do a RSD release that's felt like a cash-in.

Pauline Walnuts

Quite fancy the Poppy release of Poppy's Eat on  violet, black and bone-striped color vinyl.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/17681

'Merka only.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: purlieu on February 22, 2024, 11:16:02 PMNot to be one to just boast about my favourite band again, but FSOL are doing a CD and LP expanded edition of ISDN this year, which shows an enjoyably positive attitude to formats. The 2CD edition basically expands the album to be the same length as Lifeforms with tracks from both versions, meaning this will kind of be the definitive version going forward. On their own label they're reissuing a 2LP set that's been out of print for 17 years. They've yet to do a RSD release that's felt like a cash-in.
Ooh, lovely - I had some tapes which I believe were of the original "broadcasts", which I played to death way back when. This could be a complete bollocks memory and my mate could have just recorded the album on tape for a laugh, of course.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 22, 2024, 03:29:30 PMMy issue/concern/whatever with it is...take the Delia Derbyshire box set, mentioned above. Clearly, there's a market for it (I'd love one) so why not release it to just independent record shops? Make as many as you think the market can handle, rather than this, which benefits no-one other than a tiny handful of fans who are able to successfully reserve one, and of course Mr. Ebay.

Absolutely this. RSD is obviously broadly something any music collector can enjoy at one point because there's always such a mixed bag of releases, there's always something actually worth owning, and sometimes it may even be reasonably priced. But in my experience as a frequent record shopper I don't want there to be some trendy "who was there and who wasn't" feeling of whether I get to own something or not. I don't give a fuck about the "event" of it whatsoever.

PinkNoise

I got the Delia Derbyshire/Barry Bermange box set on vinyl when it came out just before Christmas as I've literally been waiting for decades to hear the whole set of recordings (I first heard a clip on a Radio 4 doc in 1983). I heard there would be a CD version but I'm slightly gutted that it's £36 as opposed to £180 for the vinyl. Didn't even get a download code with it.

It *is* brilliant, mind - an amazing, moving piece of work.

purlieu

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 23, 2024, 06:49:17 PMOoh, lovely - I had some tapes which I believe were of the original "broadcasts", which I played to death way back when. This could be a complete bollocks memory and my mate could have just recorded the album on tape for a laugh, of course.
Quite a lot of bootlegs of the original transmissions went around in the '90s - they've mostly been released by the band now. They're all bloody brilliant, of course, and pretty different to the album, plenty of still unreleased material on them.

dontpaintyourteeth

They have a rather confusing discography. Well, maybe that's the wrong word. Complicated?

DreadedScotsman

Thankfully for my bank balance there's only a couple I'm interested in this year, gonna complete my Cranberries collection and probably pick up the Delores O'Riordan solo release too.

purlieu

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 27, 2024, 01:24:33 AMThey have a rather confusing discography. Well, maybe that's the wrong word. Complicated?
If you're referring to FSOL then yes, they've become one of those "can I have an introductory guide?" bands.