Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Lewis dead

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, February 28, 2024, 08:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Fuck :( gutted about that one.  he can keep funkhauser company then..

Glebe

Oh fuck. Sad news indeed. RIP.

Nowhere Man

Very sad. It seemed quite clear from the latest episode of Curb that he wasn't looking particularly well, still upsetting news of course.

Just shit to hear. I get the impression he had made peace with his poor health, considering him and Larry David made jokes based around it in recent years.

Noodle Lizard

Mobius

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 28, 2024, 09:04:28 PMThis is the news from hell.

Maybe he's not dead, but in fact hiding in his nurses huge vagina :(

Maurice Yeatman

BritishHobo

Aw, fuck. I know he hadn't been well, but it still feels like a real shock.

jobotic

I only know him from Curb. What else has he done that is worth seeking out? Or what did he write that I might have heard of?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Larry DavidRichard and I were born three days apart in the same hospital and for most of my life he's been like a brother to me. He had that rare combination of being the funniest person and also the sweetest. But today he made me sob and for that I'll never forgive him.

Fucking heartbreaking.

George White

Quote from: jobotic on February 28, 2024, 10:08:58 PMI only know him from Curb. What else has he done that is worth seeking out? Or what did he write that I might have heard of?
I recently discovered he and Jamie Lee Curtis did a sitcom together, Anything But Love in the Neighnties that ran for 4 seasons on ABC!!! Ran on Sky here.

I know him from Robin Hood - Men in Tights,  a 90s indie Drunks, Once Upon A Crime (kind of post-Fish Called Wanda comedy giallo directed by Eugene Levy with an insane cast - John Candy, Jim Belushi, Lewis, Sean Young, Cybill Shepherd, George Hamilton, Giancarlo Giannini ,Ornella Muti, Elsa Martinelli, Joss Ackland and Ann 'Gourmet Night' Way) and The Wrong Guys (an amiable little comedy starring him and a bunch of other comedians of his generation -Richard Belzer, Louie Anderson, Franklin Ajaye and Tim Thomerson as a former cub troop who go on a reunion camping trip only to be mistaken as prison escapees headed by John Goodman and Ernie Hudson, plus their vengeful ex-cub Brion James

Mr Banlon

Oh, Nobody

Dead? I didn't even know he was alive!

Video Game Fan 2000

i think they stashed the comedian in an unusually large grave

wrec

Quote from: George White on February 28, 2024, 10:44:27 PMI recently discovered he and Jamie Lee Curtis did a sitcom together, Anything But Love in the Neighnties that ran for 4 seasons on ABC!!! Ran on Sky here.

I know him from Robin Hood - Men in Tights,  a 90s indie Drunks, Once Upon A Crime (kind of post-Fish Called Wanda comedy giallo directed by Eugene Levy with an insane cast - John Candy, Jim Belushi, Lewis, Sean Young, Cybill Shepherd, George Hamilton, Giancarlo Giannini ,Ornella Muti, Elsa Martinelli, Joss Ackland and Ann 'Gourmet Night' Way) and The Wrong Guys (an amiable little comedy starring him and a bunch of other comedians of his generation -Richard Belzer, Louie Anderson, Franklin Ajaye and Tim Thomerson as a former cub troop who go on a reunion camping trip only to be mistaken as prison escapees headed by John Goodman and Ernie Hudson, plus their vengeful ex-cub Brion James

Didn't know any of this, though I seem to remember his standup being on telly a lot before Curb.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 28, 2024, 10:28:46 PMFucking heartbreaking.

Yep. Richard turning up in Curb to bicker with Larry was always so delightful.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 28, 2024, 11:10:06 PMThey played so well off each other:

"I'm tryin' not to laugh but that's funny"

Always loved that scene.

Can anyone recommend a podcast or interview which gives a glimpse of the real-life Richard Lewis rather than the Curb character? Watching the show I always wonder why Larry would be friends with someone like him (and why he'd be friends with someone like Larry) but I know Larry isn't really like that and often does podcast appearances in character, it'd be nice to get a real insight into their friendship.

Been reading that Tinderbox history of HBO book lately and Susie Essman says some interesting things about their approach to standup and how they're both pretty freeform about it. It made me want to check out more from both of them. It seems that they were also really good friends.

Sad news all round.

Keebleman

At the start of Curb I couldn't believe he and Larry were the same age because he looked so much younger.  By the end, well it's not so much that he looked older than him, but that he looked far less healthy.

Garam

He features a lot in I'm Dying Up Here which is a great read. About the Comedy Store roster of comics in the 70s. Glad that he was able to appear in the full Curb run

Jerzy Bondov

So funny in Curb. Love that "turnips and blood" scene. I also love how furious he is with Larry for getting a job in a car dealership. You can tell they're old, close friends more than anyone else on Curb I think. Something about the way they really go for each other.

The Bumlord

Quote from: George White on February 28, 2024, 10:44:27 PMI recently discovered he and Jamie Lee Curtis did a sitcom together, Anything But Love in the Neighnties that ran for 4 seasons on ABC!!! Ran on Sky here.

Are you ready for The Hair?

Spoiler alert
[close]

George White

That was kind of his trademark back then I think.

Pdine

The Mollusk

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 29, 2024, 07:33:23 AMSo funny in Curb. Love that "turnips and blood" scene. I also love how furious he is with Larry for getting a job in a car dealership. You can tell they're old, close friends more than anyone else on Curb I think. Something about the way they really go for each other.

HE DOESN'T HAVE A WIFE AND HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD

TheMonk

He's taken it down now but I am glad I learned of this on Twitter with Ringo Starr posting a nice message about Richard Lewis then accidentally linking to a video to a friend apologising for deleting a message and talking about his brunch. Fitting somehow.
(Ringo's post is gone but someone has posted the video he put under his tribute:)
https://x.com/buttsechs1/status/1762969668619276548?s=46&t=2ZtgUt4oVsUcE0MT8HUMow

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 29, 2024, 10:35:33 AMHE DOESN'T HAVE A WIFE AND HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD
LET'S GO UPSTAIRS AND ALL GET UNDER THE COVERS AND SOB

I guess Lewis Lewis didn't have any organs to offer him.

beanheadmcginty

Pretty... pretty... pretty...dead.