Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:28:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge Comic Relief 2024

Started by mrfridge, March 16, 2024, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrfridge

Anyone see this? I missed it and can't find it on YouTube yet. The Daily Express are pretending to be upset about some comment about Ukraine.

lauraxsynthesis

Saw a bit of Partridge but not that bit. It was about a dead cat and Alan backpedaling when Simon pointed out that Richard Curtis doesn't want any bad news on RND. The W1A stuff made me laugh and I'm looking forward to whatever French & Saunders did as well.

BritishHobo

I caught a bit with them talking about Cliff Richard, and the same dead cat bit as lauraxsynthesis. They'd been showing old Red Nose Day sketches as a bit of a goodbye retrospective for Lenny Henry, so for a while I wasn't sure if it was one of the sketches from a few years back - especially with Alan being back at North Norfolk Digital. Is this canon, Lenny?!

neveragain

It was a decent Comic Relief bit. The Ukranians joke was Alan asking listeners for their most charitable and least charitable moments. Someone had rang in saying their most was "housing a load of Ukranians!" (Sidekick Simon pronouncing the word quite amusingly) and their least was "turfing them out, he got rid."

The other notable bit was Alan and Simon finding out the cat had been run over by "an old dinnerlady in a Ferrari" and them realising it was Rod Stewart who was due to be interviewed that day.

Captain Z

I'm sure it will appear on YouTube, but in the iPlayer version you can skip to the following times:

0:04:43 - they appear on screen in the background as Davina introduces them, but only for a few seconds

1:27:45 - Part 1

1:58:10 - Part 2

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001x85d

cakeinmilk

Quote from: Captain Z on March 16, 2024, 10:39:05 AMI'm sure it will appear on YouTube, but in the iPlayer version you can skip to the following times:

0:04:43 - they appear on screen in the background as Davina introduces them, but only for a few seconds

1:27:45 - Part 1

1:58:10 - Part 2

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001x85d

Thank you so much for this!

thr0b

It's great that Coogan still does bits like this for Comic Relief, even when there's not an ongoing series to film on a few spare sets.

Lots of nice touches as well; Partridge conspicuously drinking from an "I ❤️ RND 07" mug, for instance.

Rather telling that lots of other current comedy wasn't represented in any way.

And Legend from Gladiators corpsing at the end of his bit. Arf.

mrfridge

I thought it was pretty weak really. Shouldn't really complain when the chemistry is a bit rusty and they don't have as much time to hone the material as they normally would, but it was obvious that they were reading prompts, and there were more continuity slips than usual. I suppose Sidekick Simon would be less unsure of himself now than when he was a beginner, but Tim Key's gurning tics and looks to camera were distractingly over-the-top. I did donate though, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm great.

lauraxsynthesis

I don't know how Lenny kept it together with all those tributes and kids being named after him and stuff coz I teared up loads of times. Donated and all. Yes thons are politically dodgy, and last I heard the grantmaking side of CR was a toxic workplace, but there's always some comedy bits I absolutely love. Also, I used to do a job funded by CR and we did proper great work with refugee kids and they were a reasonable funder unlike, say, National Lottery who were a nightmare.

How is it that Walliams is still getting work when everybody must know it's all going to come out about that fecker at some point? The Partridge & Simon stuff was fun, but as someone further up said, where were the current comedy shows? In their sketch, French & Saunders said they were retiring from CR too and I hope that's not true. The last show at the end of the night with all the clips of Comic Relief shows past was terrific and gave me the comedy heritage I was missing from the main show. I'm a sucker for that Newport State of Mind video every time. 

kalowski

The bit about Do You Think I'm Sexy being Ok as it's contingent on a person thinking he's sexy and wanting his body was great.

mjwilson

I liked it in 1987 or something when they just showed moderately obscure bits of Python until 3am.

TheAssassin

Quote from: mjwilson on March 17, 2024, 09:26:29 PMI liked it in 1987 or something when they just showed moderately obscure bits of Python until 3am.

Secret Policeman's Ball?

Led Souptin

Quote from: kalowski on March 17, 2024, 06:29:01 PMThe bit about Do You Think I'm Sexy being Ok as it's contingent on a person thinking he's sexy and wanting his body was great.

the addendum of "sugar" bringing it crashing down got me.

Appreciate that they've turned off the audience mics for the sketches, because the audience for comic relief weirdly never find anything funny. It does give a weird atmosphere when they applause at the end though

mjwilson

Quote from: TheAssassin on March 18, 2024, 12:22:05 AMSecret Policeman's Ball?

Don't think so, they just showed Python sketches. A lot of stuff I wasn't familiar with like Scott of the Sahara.

Edit: possibly this? https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/b82c787332554864a999b8e9734b9f10

Autopsy Turvey

It was the 1971 Montreux special, still unreleased. Main memory is more of Cleese on the deflating plastic armchair.