Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Techy: DOS games.

Started by bill hicks, April 16, 2004, 10:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill hicks

I downloaded two old games and my shiny modern XP isn't having any of it.

When I click the setup.exe on the first one it very briefly (for a fraction of a second) brings up the command line box but that disappears before you can do anything. I changed all possible settings in the compatibility box (Win95 and 98 with all boxes checked and unchecked etc.) but it didn't make a difference.

The second one lets me to an Install screen, but that just tells me I need to Install Windows 95 (again even after changing the settings).

Any help would be appreciated here.

Rev

As far as I know, the compatibilty setting rarely make much of a difference.  XP is notorious for refusing to run anything that isn't explicitly compatible with Windows NT, which means that you probably won't be able to run anything more than a few years old.  Not very constructive, I know, but there you go.

Lt Plonker

If it's a Lucasarts graphic adventure, then you can use SCUMMVM, but other than that, I haven't a clue. Just out of interest, what games are they?

Marcus Or Relius

I had the same problem with Duke Nukem 3D, the original I bought in 1997 and am always promising myself I'll find a solution to get it working.

If the games are downloaded, were they updated ones from the manafacturers? I only ask because a Shareware version of Rise Of The Triads - a nice gruesome shoot-em-up from the makers of Duke Nukem 3D, also from the mid-90s - refused to work when I installed it from the Duke Nukem CD. I downloaded the shareware version from the Id website and it ran fine, so I'm guessing the programmers had patched it to run with XP.

gazzyk1ns

Tried booting from a floppy into DOS and running setup and/or the game from the command prompt?

bill hicks

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Tried booting from a floppy into DOS and running setup and/or the game from the command prompt?

DOS floppy??

This is all far too complicated for me. I'm deleting them.

I'm pretty sure that there are MS-DOS (a.k.a. IBM PC-compatible, to use antiquated lingo) computer emulators for modern computers running Windows OS.

Essentially that's emulating old PC hardware/firmware on a new PC.

mr rou-rou

I thought this might have been a thread about DOS based work timewaster games such as 'drug wars' - did they ever turn that into a flash game?

Have anyone ever seen a flash based speak 'n' spell online by the way?

MojoJojo

VMWare and VirtualPC (from Micrososft now), bith allow you to run a "virtual" pc within windows. They are both pay for software though, and you will need a copy of DOS to install on the virtual PC. Make sure the version you get has support for SVGA graphics, however, the older version of VMware didn't, although I imagaine the newer versions do now.

Not the easiest thing in the world to set up, and it will help a lot if you have installed DOS before. But it works surprisingly well, since it's not really emulating.

glitch

Probably the most sure-fire way to get it working would be to setup a Win95/98 partition (or MS-DOS itself I guess - I've still got the floppies in storage somwhere!)

I know there used to be a program you could download which would effectively "cap" your PC spec in certian apps - this allowed you to run older games (like the PC port of the original Star Wars arcade) at a normal pace instead of how they were originally coded, which was determined by the processor power. Like the limiter in GTA1, if you've ever played it.

oh a side note.

I'm desperately trying to track-down a copy of the original Syndicate for the PC.

Anyone know where I might be able to find it from? It was made by a company called Bullfrog, I think.  The one that copied a lot from Bladerunner.  Lots of green.

joFFeman

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbknitofrontend/

no time for details, i'm tired, just rest assured it works with most games and it's not difficult to set up. even put up a link to the frontend for those who don't like editing initialization files manually. aren't i a sweetie?

glitch

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"oh a side note.

I'm desperately trying to track-down a copy of the original Syndicate for the PC.

Anyone know where I might be able to find it from? It was made by a company called Bullfrog, I think.  The one that copied a lot from Bladerunner.  Lots of green.

I've got the original on CD. If you're interested, PM me and I'll see if I can burn off a copy.

Ste

I de-lurked and registered epecially to reply to this one. Sorry for the delay, but i've only just got permission to post....

Not sure if you've solved this by now, but try DOSbox at this link:-

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

Also follow the link for D-Fend, a friendly GUI. A few minutes messing with the options (mainly the graphics renderer) got it working fine for me.

I reckon it's excellent, FWIW.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"oh a side note.

http://gamebird.dk/games/community2.php/?gid=470

they also have Syndicate Wars on that site

If you're looking for old PC games, nest place to go is http://www.freeoldies.com