Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

bill hicks

Started by phes, April 20, 2004, 04:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Someone help me out here. I love Hicks, he's entertaining and gave me a whole new way of looking at the world. Is it just my imagination though, or did he talk a crock of shit most of the time!?

smoker

wotcha n00b

yeah he was a right nobscratch, all that bullshit about the government and religion, utter rubbish

wrong forum by the way

wrong forum dude.

he was full of contradictions, just like everyone is, and he was confused about the world. It was his passion that made him special though.

Big Jack McBastard

By the way there is a new Hicks book out with routines, lyrics and the like on it's pages.

Quoteyeah he was a right nobscratch, all that bullshit about the government and religion, utter rubbish

I take it that was a jape at the expense of our new 'un, no?

Pinball

Quote from: "phes"Someone help me out here. I love Hicks, he's entertaining and gave me a whole new way of looking at the world. Is it just my imagination though, or did he talk a crock of shit most of the time!?
Crock of shit? You mean pot of gold I hope? Crock of shit is what the politicians pour down our gullets every day via their not-quite-yet State-owned media and corporate allies.

Welcome by the way ;-)

hoverdonkey

It's very good that book. A mate of mine - who loves the boy Hicks - wrote a good feature on him here if people are interested.

I'm a great liker of BH and pretty much used his take on the Kennedy (JF) Assassination as my own argument.

Despite being over 40 years in the past - I, like Bill Hicks, thought this was one of the most incredible & blatant cover-ups of our generation (ok so not my generation - coz I was nowhere when Kennedy was shot).

OK so the stand-up was laced with comic imagery of anti-Castro pigeons and Oswald hanging by his toes to make the shot, but I thought Hicks had a point about the distrust of Governments and the (potentially) erroneous detail surrounding the assassination.

However, the other week I eventually got round to watching a documentary that was on BBC2 November last year to mark the anniversary.  "Beyond Conspiracy" narrated by Gavin Estler, which I just had to record to see what they would come up with... and besides they were due to be using newly-created 3D computer models to give a whole new angle on the scene.

The 3D animations were obviously the "hook" of this programme, but they were convincing.  Effectively, they used the original Zepruter footage from the camera to plot the movement, timings and "physics" of the motor-cade, the people and the path of the bullet.
Additionally to the 3D stuff the programme went out to investigate a whole lot of other things.  Profiles of Lee Harvey Oswald and his assassin Jack Ruby, for instance.  Oswald was pretty much as documented.  He was a lone weirdo.  The documentary even interviewed Oswald's bro - who was convinced Oswald was the only shooter.  Ruby was an impulsive gang crook, fiercely  supportive of the President and a devout patriot of the USA.  He was also a bit of a joke in the "underworld" - quite far down the pecking order.

The documentary also debunked Jim Garrison's "findings" about "conspiracies" and magic bullets, and Oliver Stone's subsequent '91 film.
The general consensus of this documentary was that Stone's film, from a fact point-of-view, was a crock of shit.  Ok, so artistically it might've been "good", especially how it managed to blend elements of the Zepruter footage, with refilmed scenes that mimicked the footage.  That was the trouble - it was too convincing.
The whole thing about the "magic bullet", it seems, was that the positioning of the seats were totally wrong.  The 3D model using the hand-held cinefilm as guides illustrated how the seat where the aide (I forget his name) was shot was too high/too far forward.  With the seats positioned in the correct places it seems the bullets from Oswald's gun would have inflicted exactly the reported damage on the two men in the car (one fatal shot to the back of Kennedy's head and the aide's chest area? in the seat infront).
The new 3D animations also disproved the audio recordings (investigated by the Warren Committee in the 1970s) which apparently picked up "other gun shots" from the grass-knoll vicinity.  The motorbike cop, whose radio-mic was accidentally left on, could not have been in the position required to have recorded noise round the grassy-knoll.

I now believe (despite my love of Hicks) that Oswald was a lone gunman, acting alone.  He had no (direct) links with the Cubans and he wasn't a patsie.
It was one or two shots that Oswald could have easily made (a 180 fabrication from Garrison/Stone who said he was a poor marksman).  He was a first-rate marksman.
The documentary went on to detail the reason JFK's head is seen to go "back and to the left" - suggesting (only if you know nothing about ballistics and exit-wounds) that a shot was "obviously" fired from grassy-knoll areas.  But my video stopped recording at that point.

Largely the whole "conspiracy theory" business emerged from the political climate of the time.  A lot of the conspiracies surrounding JFK were fuelled after affairs of Watergate where the mistrust of the US Government was high...  In short, people (the US public particularly) were up for a conspiracy, and over the following years it seemed to fuel itself.  It also convinced people "there was a conspiracy going on", because the distrust insinuated "there must be a conspiracy somewhere along the line".  I guess in a way the whole JFK thing gave birth to the entire "conspiracy theory market", whereby Elvis flew two airlines into the tunnel which killed Princess Diana, before starring as Buzz Aldrin in the moon-landing studio (the director was Jesus).

It was an eye-opener for me.  Especially how totally unshakeable I was from Hick's and Stone's versions.  (and believe me I was).
Bill 'icks was nevertheless a masterful stand-up comedian.

sorry quite a lot there. This thread is supposed to be about BH not JFK. sorry.

bill hicks

Interestingly after the last argument here about that documentary I got into a discussion with a Doctor elsewhere on the interwebnet (he was a Scotsman, but also qualified in all this ballistics stuff so should be trusted I think).

He said that documentary was a massive waste of time and it's far more likely Kennedy was killed by a hidden gun in Jackie Kennedy's tits than the solution the doc came up with. To quote him:

"I'd be surprised if the people they consulted for that could spell science nevermind practice it".

He goes along with a second gunman.

(Sadly I can't ask him again because he had a tizzy about someone on the forum slagging Celtic off and left. Typical fenian..)

Bogey

And here's the man himself, back from the grave, trying to defend his theories by citing a Scot, who's conveniently disappeared.
That documentary was indeed very convincing, which is good, because it means I don't have to trust Kevin Costner any more.

bill hicks

Hehe. It's threads like these that make me wish I had my old username.

Quote from: "bill hicks"Hehe. It's threads like these that make me wish I had my old username.

What was it? Dennis Leary?

(the brief sound of a cymbal)

Cerys

The weaver, if I remember correctly.

Rats

Hicks is a dead, unfunny, posturing stool (runs away)

phes

declines to chase(smoker).

Pinball

Quote from: "Rats"Hicks is a dead, unfunny, posturing stool (runs away)
Ooh Rats, you'll have to take a "Fall" for that ;-)

Elliot

Hicks made me laugh.
Still makes me laugh.
He did his job well.

The United States of Advertising interview (1993) is a good watch.
I was pretty shocked when I saw him as he looked very  very sick and run down. Im not sure when it was filmed in 1993 but as Hicks fans will know he died Feb 1994.Whas he was aware of his illness at that time?.
He was talking about how great the British fans were and how he was off to England for a year to make a TV show and tour.
Quite sad.
Grab the torrent  in Comedy Torrents Thread.
(cant be arsed to fuck around going there coming back and pasting a link)

Rev

That book is a very strange read.  The live transcripts (which make up at least half of the thing) are ridiculously repetitive...  to be expected, I suppose, as they all come from shows performed within a period of a couple of years, and many stand-ups don't overhaul their act more often than once every couple of years.  The attempt to be exhaustive does him a real disservice, though.  It leaves you wanting less.

Divnee Gan

Bill hicks was cool!

Santa's Boyfriend

I'd just like to remind all Bristolians that the Cube Cinema is holding the second Bill Hicks 10th Deathaversary tomorrow evening from 8pm onwards.   Many rarities will be shown on the big screen.  You'll probably need to book in advance if you want to go, though.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"I'd just like to remind all Bristolians that the Cube Cinema is holding the second Bill Hicks 10th Deathaversary tomorrow evening from 8pm onwards.   Many rarities will be shown on the big screen.  You'll probably need to book in advance if you want to go, though.

Ja, I'm giving that some heavy consideration. How do you book for The Cube? I always thought that just like Dr Dooom it was first come, first served ...