Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:34:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

For those of you on NTL Broadbean

Started by David Qunt, April 26, 2004, 07:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Qunt

It appears that your download speed is set to increase in summer for no extra money (except for those on fat 1 meg pipes who will pay more)...

NTL to supercharge broadband speed

@ssmaster

They are doing that with Telewest too, 512kb to 750kb, 1mb to 1.5mb and 2mb to 3mb all for no extra charge, seems to good to me.

untitled_london

Quoteseems to good to me

unless you ask yourself why they didn't uncap  yor b/w earlier.

that said, i'm happy for you though.

JesusAndYourBush

Do they still have a 1gb per day cap?
(I've already downloaded 1.18gb today on my 150k connection - I actually get 256 - and I see no point in an increase if they're keeping the 1gig cap.)

David Qunt

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"Do they still have a 1gb per day cap?
(I've already downloaded 1.18gb today on my 150k connection - I actually get 256 - and I see no point in an increase if they're keeping the 1gig cap.)

Yes, they still have a stupid cap  but they don't enforce it as far as I know. I did read somewhere that some heavy abusers got letters telling them to wind their necks in but haven't heard of any follow-up.

I should imagine it's only people that are consistently raping their bandwidth to a stupid degree on a daily basis that run any risk of having their plugs yanked, and I reckon  your 1.18gig should be OK.

JesusAndYourBush

I've been reading the forums on nthellworld.co.uk and it seems that the people who got the letters were the ones with 1mbit doing around 8gig regularly.  I try and stay under 1gig per day, going over occasionally (the terms and conditions say you can go over twice in any 14 day period).  Its just that on the bittorrent sites I use there's been a flood of things I want in the last day or so meaning I've got a shitload to download.

fanny splendid

They're both cable aren't they?

I wonder if the DSL companies will follow suit?

@ssmaster

Quote from: "untitled_london"
Quoteseems to good to me

unless you ask yourself why they didn't uncap  yor b/w earlier.

that said, i'm happy for you though.

Ahh thats just NTL, Telewest (Blueyonder) have no such restrictions, I run an online radio using my ISP connection and they haven't raised any questions about my increased bandwidth usage.

Rev

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"I've been reading the forums on nthellworld.co.uk and it seems that the people who got the letters were the ones with 1mbit doing around 8gig regularly.  I try and stay under 1gig per day, going over occasionally (the terms and conditions say you can go over twice in any 14 day period).  Its just that on the bittorrent sites I use there's been a flood of things I want in the last day or so meaning I've got a shitload to download.

That does seem to be the case.  I've had weeks where I've gone over the 1gig limit pretty much every day, which were followed by stretches of several weeks where I downloaded bugger all.  

The bump from 1 to 1.5 mbit for an extra £3 a month sounds pretty sweet to me, although I doubt it'll actually make any difference with the nabbing of torrents and soforth.

Timmay

For those of you not on NTHell or Telewest Broadband, and not quite managing to get ADSL because of distance limitations, BT have announced trials to test increasing the distance limitations. Lucky if you live in Milton Keynes - hey, they've got to be lucky for something - as the trial's being run there.

Unofficially I believe there's no limit on the distances they're going to try out, but officially up to around 10km from the exchange is reported to be reasonable limits - bear in mind that the current limit is around 6km for the 512k service. Oh, but this won't help you if your exchange still needs ADSL installed in it.

Here's BT's press release

Tokyo Sexwhale

Here's the Blueyonder (Telewest) details.  

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_faster

Sadly, I won't be able to enjoy it for long as I'm moving to a block where they don't allow cable.

Fuck.

gazzyk1ns

Yeah my mates work for BT Exact (BT's R&D) and they're testing this at the Adastral Park in Martlesham at the moment, they hope to make it reach to around 10km. They have people connected on trial lines already (no internet connection, just pure test lines) in various parts of Ipswich and apparently it's looking like it will probably work.