Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

IPad Mini

Started by buntyman, October 23, 2012, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

So the iPad mini has just been announced and predictably is much more expensive than the competition for equivalent memory sizes. I am beginning to get tempted by the prospect of a tablet thing and there seems to be a lot of pretty good options emerging now. I think I might still wait to see what specs Microsoft announce on their Surface thing but may well go for the new 32gb Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire.
Anyone think the iPad Mini is a good option?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9626325/iPad-Mini-Apple-event-live.html

KLG-7A

I think it's wonderful that Apple are out of inspiration and have resorted to copying the current trends with no innovation at all.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: KLG-7A on October 23, 2012, 07:48:05 PM
I think it's wonderful that Apple are out of inspiration and have resorted to copying the current trends with no innovation at all.

And charging almost double for the fucking privilege.

KLG-7A

I thought it was hilarious that one of the models was £500+.

chocky909

It's ridiculous how vast the price differences are between the same models with differing on board memory considering you can get a 32gb SD card for about £15.

Slaaaaabs

Even the diehards must be getting pissed off with Apple now. Terrible pricing on the mini and an upgraded maxi-Pad after just 7 months.

New iMac looks fucking sexy though. Sigh.

mbedd

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on October 23, 2012, 07:58:49 PM
Even the diehards must be getting pissed off with Apple now.

They have a get out clause now though - 'This wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs was alive' seems to be a phrase posted a lot recently.
Shocking price for what you are getting, but no real surprises.

mobias

The new iMac does indeed look fucking sexy buts style over functionality as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't have an optical drive and I'd be totally stuffed without one. If I got one I'd be in the ridiculous situation of having to buy a stand alone CD/DVD drive. It would be the 1990's all over again just so I could own an ultra thin computer. Its complete stupidity. I can kind of see the argument of ditching the optical drive in their laptop range where weight and space are at a premium but I can't begin to see why I would want my desk top computer to be lighter and thinner? I can't say my desk is bucking under the weight of my 27" iMac and its thickness is irrelevant since I have it against the wall.

The iPad mini appeals to me but its pricing is a joke. I was really hoping Apple would bring in the 16GB model at under 200 quid.     

KLG-7A

The one positive is that the cheapest model provides a more budget-friendly tablet-sized development device for iDevices. That's it.

mobias

It looks like the RAM is soldered onto the mother board of the new iMac. No upgrade ability, no optical drive. I'm glad I got my 2011 iMac earlier this year. 

Edit. I stand corrected. You can upgrade the RAM but only in the 27" model

Still Not George

Apple.

*pause for laughter*

I know, right?

mobias

Quote from: Still Not George on October 23, 2012, 08:28:41 PM
Apple.

*pause for laughter*

I know, right?

I know but what's the alternative? I use Windows at work and its even more laughable.

madhair60

Still Not George

Quote from: mobias on October 23, 2012, 08:30:59 PM
I know but what's the alternative?

Only everything else in the entire desktop, laptop, table and smartphone computing market.

Replies From View

If you guys had stuck with Lemmings none of these so-called "advancements" would have been necessary.

Consignia

Quote from: KLG-7A on October 23, 2012, 08:20:52 PM
The one positive is that the cheapest model provides a more budget-friendly tablet-sized development device for iDevices. That's it.

Don't you still need to have a Mac to develop on, or have they relaxed that requirement these days? Seems like a rather small victory.

Justin Lee Collins

Quote from: Consignia on October 23, 2012, 09:37:37 PM
Don't you still need to have a Mac to develop on, or have they relaxed that requirement these days? Seems like a rather small victory.

I'll give you a Mac you fucking slag.

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: madhair60 on October 23, 2012, 08:32:44 PM

Ahhh, Sultan's maze... fuck I hated that game.

As for the new iPad... meh, it's got to be the beginning of the end for Apple, surely?[nb]said more in hope than expectation[/nb]

Artemis

I literally have no idea what an iPad of any size exists for. Or any tablet for that matter. These days a decent smartphone will take care of everything on the go, and a decent laptop will take care of other stuff. I see the point in an e-reader but not an iPod, and Apple are taking the absolute piss with this stupid new mini product.

I know but what's the alternative? I use Windows at work and its even more laughable.

Do not blame Windows for a useless IT department. The company I work with still uses fucking Windows XP. MOST companies still use Windows XP because they can keep their dying computers while it functions. If you're comparing Windows XP with Snow Leopard, of course XP comes off worse. It's a 12 year old OS, and still rock solid for almost every industry on the planet. Can you say the same for OS X Cheetah? No. No you can't. Because Apple has developed all their products to integrate obsolescence. Fuck Apple. Fuck Steve Jobs. I'm glad that piece of shit is dead.

Jamie Oliver is fat

What trouble you having?

Replies From View

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 24, 2012, 03:42:15 AM
Apple has developed all their products to integrate obsolescence.

True that.  Microsoft will probably catch up with this in due course, though.

MojoJojo

... and today's news story is MS not planning to release an SP2 for Windows 7, which means support ends in February.

Still Not George

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 24, 2012, 01:18:09 PM
... and today's news story is MS not planning to release an SP2 for Windows 7, which means support ends in February.

Fucking hell. Well, given the response of the community to the abortion that is Windows 8, they don't really have a lot of choice but to force everyone on to it.

mcbpete

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 24, 2012, 03:42:15 AM
Do not blame Windows for a useless IT department. The company I work with still uses fucking Windows XP. MOST companies still use Windows XP because they can keep their dying computers while it functions.
Absolutely - Ditto with Android being run on underpowered phones that have been clogged up with mobile-phone-company imposed crapware.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 24, 2012, 01:18:09 PM

Wankers!

I'm using Windows 8 at work because, well just because

And of course it does the job fine - it's essentially Windows 7 from a Desktop UI standpoint (once you've replaced all your start menu shortcuts with messy desktop shortcuts)

It just has a noddy swipe interface overlayed which periodically gets in the way of work, but you realistically never see when working on desktop apps

But it does intrude at times, and our users will have nervous breakdowns if we force it on them, so I'm hoping Windows 9 will be a more mature implementation of metro, including the ability to turn the fucker off when you're actually doing workstation type tasks

I like the idea of Metro on a tablet, and will probably buy a Surface, but it's just shit on a desktop PC, and they need to refine it's implementation by SP1/Windows 9

Trying to force everyone onto 8 by making no more SPs for 7 is a real cunts trick

Replies From View

Microsoft.

*pause for laughter*

I know, right?

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Replies From View on October 24, 2012, 03:07:15 PM
Microsoft.

*pause for laughter*

I know, right?

...and what's the deal with Microsoft?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Still Not George on October 24, 2012, 01:30:52 PM
Fucking hell. Well, given the response of the community to the abortion that is Windows 8, they don't really have a lot of choice but to force everyone on to it.

I should add that MS haven't given an official comment on it, and I think it's quite likely they'll either release another SP or continue support longer than the standard 2 years from the last SP. They just don't want to be talking about it with windows 8 being released.